Monday Night Raw Live

Ludo*1

I think HHH has said in the past that the one thing he would change if he was in charge would be putting RAW down to 2 hours.  Although I imagine that was coming from the position of "aye, but I'll never be in charge in my lifetime".  The networks will probably never let it happen, despite it undoubtedly being needed.  They'd be far better begging for a lower TV deal just to push it through.

On 13/12/2022 at 14:39, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I listned to a Raw review podcast this morning (the always excellent John Pollock and Wai Ting) and that storyline with Gargano, Lumis and Miz sounds like the absolute pits. It seems like some of Vince's bad booking habits are still lingering.

Hopefully things pick up as they head into Rumble and Mania season.

Feels like they are just keeping Gargano close by the Miz until Ciampa comes back.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Was last night not supposed to be some kind of family celebration and every generation being there? Or did I miss that being canned?

They switched it for the Sami trial instead. I don't know if this was due to Dwayne pulling out of Wrestlemania.

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

They switched it for the Sami trial instead. I don't know if this was due to Dwayne pulling out of Wrestlemania.

That was my thought too, but it's a good pivot. That segment was tremendous and the swell for Sami continues. If he wins the Rumble the place will explode.

Edit: at least with Trips there's a chance that they'll read the room and pull the trigger. You just know under Vince he'd have said nah fk everyone, Cody wins the Rumble, Sami not even in it.

Edited by Jeff Venom

The segment was so fucking good. Like genuinely A+ for everything from acting to pacing to delivery.

A 20 minute long 'trial' segment sounds like something that should have dragged and under Vince would have done so with shit comedy and wackiness. But it was all killer.

I'm now fully at the stage where I'd always thought that the Bloodline would turn on Sami and both he and Owens would go after the Usos, dethroning them at Mania but now I'm bypassing that completely and wanting him to win the Rumble and go on to challenge Reigns himself - at this point I don't even know know if the Usos will stick with Reigns through it.

That's the first RAW I've actually watched...well, ever.  Usually just catch up on Bleacher Report and watch the odd bit on YouTube but since it was a big show, thought I'd give it a watch.  

Fucking hell, how do people do that regularly?  How do you sit through that live?  If you watched it on BT with their enhanced player, it seems like they stripped out all the adverts, but they also spoil a lot of what's coming up.  Watched the second half on the standard one and it absolutely dragged, with Jurgen Fucking Klopp telling me to go learn sign language every 5 minutes.  And you know it's worse in the US given that whoever carries these shows (FITE for AEW, or BT for WWE) can't even show the extent of adverts they get over there legally.  It also doesn't help with having three hours, they like to let every segment "breathe".  AEW is guilty of the complete opposite, but although the opening segment with the Bloodline was good, they're often guilty of things just dragging on in the knowledge that they've still got another two and a half hours to fill anyway.  It's been done to death, but a 2 hour RAW is badly needed.

As for the show itself though, it was a good amount of fun.  They're often guilty of using these shows as just a big congratulatory wanking festival where they marvel at how great they are, but those spots were done a lot better this time around, and they remembered to make sure they advanced their stories too, sometimes mixing both pretty well.  I feared the worst when Imperium came out in the DX segment, but them backing down was amusing and "realistic".  All the legends used pretty well, not stinking up the joint (although continuing to chuck Hulk Hogan in is certainly a choice), good stuff.

Bloodline stuff was well done, but it doesn't feel like it advanced things massively until the very end.  But when it did, it's going to be really interesting to see where they go with it.  You think the easiest thing in the world is to have them discard Zayn and him have the Daniel Bryan run to WM, but at this rate turning on them would see the Usos more on his side.  Are they going to go for a complete break-up and have everyone (but sikoa seemingly) go against Roman?  At least the canning of the original segment seems to point to Rock not being at WM for a match at least.  With the Sami story it seems like it'd be almost a hindrance at this stage.

The show was…alright. Great opening segment and a few nice moments, but nothing that’d really hook you for the next week. It’s jarring how silent the crowd are for the matches too. Night and day to the other side (and actually SmackDown as well weirdly? RAW always seems to be worse) 

Advertising that cage match and doing that as well is something out of the Vince era. 

24 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Advertising that cage match and doing that as well is something out of the Vince era. 

Sounding from reports like that was down to the Bloodline segment overrunning.  So they decided to pretty much sack off an advertised match that people would actually want to see, in favour of...anything else they put on.

On 23/01/2023 at 23:59, djchapsticks said:

Yeah that intro needs to stay. Easily the best Raw intro theme ever.

Bring back 'The Beautiful People' for Smackdown while we're at it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give WWE their dues, they've managed to weave Cody into this who scenario about as well as they could in the short time that they had. The worry was that he'd be standing on the sideline like a spare p***k and his popularity would suffer for it but the fact that he's now being interwoven into the whole storyline is good and fans seem to be going with him almost as much as they are with Sami.

Still think there has to be a way to split the championships and give both men their moment but doing so would definitely take away from the occasion of either of them being the one who took Reigns down.