Smackdown Thread

5 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Seriously wonder if we're getting Roman-Rock next year at WM40? But that match doesn't need the title. 

Rock teased it today, but I don’t know if he can actually do another match? I suppose Austin managed it 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Mental that The Rock is two year older than Hogan was when he started his Mr America gimmick.

Just on this, I ended up watching the McMahon DVD the other night. It is mental how good that WM19 match with Vince/Hogan is. 

41 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Just on this, I ended up watching the McMahon DVD the other night. It is mental how good that WM19 match with Vince/Hogan is. 

It’s very underrated - as is that WrestleMania.

That manic look on Vince’s blood soaked face is iconic.

Most of Vince's matches around that era stand up. He was shite technically in the ring but was willing to just go to absolute war with his opponent so if the opponent had anything about them, they'd get a class match out of Vince.

The Shane vs Vince match has no right to be anything but utterly dreadful but it's still one of the most memorable of my childhood.

I think the ongoing strike might play into what eventually happens with him.  If it keeps going on for a lot longer into next year (no idea if that's on the cards to be fair) then I imagine a return at Wrestlemania starts to look a lot more attractive given he'll have little else to do, and should any injury occur he's not breaking any other contracts.  But like others have said, coming on and doing a promo and breaking out a People's Elbow he could probably do for decades to come, but think it's telling that that's the extent of his involvement.  Doing much more than that, even just a Rock Bottom, probably holds risk given how things have gone previously.  And actually preparing for a match is probably a massive, massive undertaking for someone in Rock's position.  He's spent years cultivating his image as being a big lump of aged teak who can (kind of) act like a superhero.  Getting into ring shape, both physically and mentally, would take a hell of a lot at this stage.  I get the feeling that the likes of Austin were far closer to that level than Rock is.

But putting all that aside, I think the complete lack of anything Roman related probably confirms it isn't in their plans.  I don't think they could have helped themselves from doing something if there was a chance it would happen.  Unless it's some kind of mental double bluff.  And to be honest, I think they've missed the boat on it, and doing it at any point in the future would probably be a bad idea in general.  I think the idea long term is probably - and rightly - to have some hot babyface end his reign at WM40.  Probably Rhodes, but outside chance of Jey Uso.  There's no way they'd have Rock vs Reigns anywhere other than WM, so you're either throwing away the title story you've been building for years now to either sacrifice Rock or inexplicably have him win.  Or you're pushing it to WM41 when the chances of Rock ending up completely broken rises again.  To fit it this year, you probably have to have Reigns lose his titles at the Royal Rumble or something, and I'm not sure that's a fitting end to this whole thing.

That little moment with Cena backstage though, that warmed my heart.  

• 3 weeks later...

Crowd investment in wrestling has made it so much better overall recently, think post pandemic it's went off the scale. I was watching some older clips from 2010-2011 the other day and the crowds are honestly rabid compared to what they were back then.

On another note, Rhea is on a level all on her own just now. She's absolutely unreal

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Good to see Aldis finally show up.

Hopefully he can get over the back injury in time and work his way back into the ring as he's still only 36 and the boy can go.

Disappointed he isn't in his Oblivion persona from Gladiators. Maybe suggests Vince isn't involved...

• 1 month later...

And maybe it's me being all "still real to me dammit", but it's not a great look on him and suggests he hasn't learned a thing.

Just watched it, and that silence during the line is noticeable.  But maybe it's just the stench of his disastrous AEW run, but he just seems incredibly unlikeable throughout.  Sooner he goes full-on heel and can turn his mic skills towards evil the better.