Smackdown Thread

Given the dirtsheets seem to be pinning all of this on Punk getting injured, saw a good wee rundown on Reddit of how this is all Christian's fault.  

He turned on Jungle Boy, and that feud ended up leading towards the latter getting tired of being the face everyone cheered for, turning him into Jack Perry.  This eventually led towards the confrontation with Punk over "real glass", which ultimately led to Punk getting his marching orders.  Punk ends up back in the WWE, to get injured in the Royal Rumble, which leads to plans changing, and Rhodes losing his spot.  f**k sake Christian, all because his dad's deid...

I suppose you can also argue he did it to himself.  If Rhodes hadn't made that little bet with Dave Meltzer, AEW isn't a thing, and Christian likely doesn't come back to WWE in the same capacity, and certainly doesn't turn into the uber-b*****d he is now.  Rhodes screwed Rhodes.

Yeah, I don't blame them for going with The Rock vs Roman. With all due respect to Cody, it absolutely is the bigger money spinner and headline grabber. It's more the way they've pivoted to this out of nowhere and made Cody look like a bitch.

Rock apparently looking to be more creatively involved with the company going forward and Brian Gewritz apparently going to oversee all of creative at the 'big shows'. Triple H's days might be numbered as well.

They’re leaning into this so much, despite knowing the reaction, that I’m beginning to question if they’ve already pivoted back to Cody? How on earth you’d do that after Friday’s mess I’m not sure, but I’d have more confidence in them addressing the error than the previous regime. I’m maybe just giving rhem too much credit though. 

1 hour ago, FifeArab said:

The rock’s theme playing at ht at Arsenal v Liverpool😂.

Arsenal seem to play wrestling theme tunes at half time. The cup game that was on BBC vs Liverpool had Ken Shamrock's theme at half time.

That they've played The Rock's theme shows that the person in charge of the tunes knows their stuff!

On 03/02/2024 at 14:28, forameus said:

Will it though?  Rock vs Roman is going to be an absolutely over match, built for all those tedious "stop-and-slowly-pan-to-the-crowd" looks and probably with about 5 minutes of actual action if we're lucky, but it is going to be massively over unless they completely f**k the booking.  I don't get the feeling like this will go the way that Batista vs Orton did before Bryan got put in, for example.  I don't think there even would be a modern equivalent of that now, as Reigns is far more over than Orton was back then.  Maybe Orton now going in?  a fine match on paper, but nowhere near as good as Rhodes vs Reigns would be.  

At the risk of answering my own post...aye, it kind of will.  People are fucking raging.

However, given how this has blown up, and how WWE seem to be sticking their fingers in their ears so much, I wonder if this is all just a big work, or at least that they're already moving on the path to the "Bryan Protocol".  We're going into a WM that ends in 0, and it seems like their default setting for one of those appears to be "have a triple threat".  They kind of lucked into the WM30 story, as I don't believe for a second that they intended it to play out that way until the last few weeks before the event, but it just worked out so incredibly well for them that I wonder if they're testing the waters to do it again.  Granted, I think it's an arse backwards way of going about it, and the resulting match would be a much worse version of what they could have had, but I could see them making it a triple threat, and sending Rock out there knowing that Cody will be the overwhelming face and Reigns the overwhelming heel.  And unlike Batista at 30, Rock wouldn't go in a massive huff to be the baddy (maybe, he has built the sacharine, sanitised brand in cinema, but wonder whether wrestling would be the one place he'd be happy to turn up the charisma and be an arsehole again).

On 04/02/2024 at 18:40, DA Baracus said:

Arsenal seem to play wrestling theme tunes at half time. The cup game that was on BBC vs Liverpool had Ken Shamrock's theme at half time.

That they've played The Rock's theme shows that the person in charge of the tunes knows their stuff!

Was there not a Scottish team that had the Brood's theme?

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Yep Cody is winning the title at mania after that promo. 

The loses it 5 mins later to Priest.  Just like Dusty did when he thought he won the the title all they years back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:
  Hide contents

Tag match confirmed for Mania. 

Starting to think Bloodline wins night 1 and Cody wins the title on night 2. 

I absolutely loved everything about that segment. 31 mins that flew past.

Seth might be turning on Cody but Rock is definitely doing Reigns over as well.