Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Their records arent really comparable though.

Both scored goals in the 2nd division and, of course, Clark outscored Reilly. However, Clark then went to a dominant Rangers team while Reilly stayed at Queens. It took Clark two seasons to score as many goals for Rangers at this level than Reilly managed in one for Queens.

Neither have done particularly well away from QoTS

The key is now at least having three strikers. Biggest issue this season has been not having real options to change it up top. That puts a lot of pressure on forwards to perform and so far, they haven't done. I've only ever seen Clark in the the odd TV cameo for Rangers, and I've never been impressed but hopefully the management team get him back on track.

My laddie (for his sins) is a Rangers season ticket holder and when I told him we signed Clark he reckons he'll do us a good turn.

Clark didn't get a run at Rangers and looked impressive for them....Reckon it's better to have Clark and Reilly than Reilly and Moffat so we'll see how it pans out.

Also to answer a query further up...Clark's contract at Bury was terminated by mutual consent after Bury signed some striker from Birmingham.....

20 minutes ago, gingapar said:

The key is now at least having three strikers. Biggest issue this season has been not having real options to change it up top. 

Hopefully this will make a big difference - not much else we can do with the squad now. Only Cardle and Reilly have scored so far in the league so the door is open for any of them to stake their claim. 

20 minutes ago, Fallen Angel said:

My laddie (for his sins) is a Rangers season ticket holder and when I told him we signed Clark he reckons he'll do us a good turn.

Clark didn't get a run at Rangers and looked impressive for them....Reckon it's better to have Clark and Reilly than Reilly and Moffat so we'll see how it pans out.

Also to answer a query further up...Clark's contract at Bury was terminated by mutual consent after Bury signed some striker from Birmingham.....

Outrageous parenting. Child services have been called.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Neither have done particularly well away from QoTS

Well, Reilly has played and scored in the Premiership, Clark hasnt.

Not sure why thats relevant though

1 hour ago, Fallen Angel said:

Undoubtedly. Clark is a good signing at this level.

Edited by Mr X

2 hours ago, Fallen Angel said:

Not sure I agree he didn't get a run at Rangers when he played more than a 100 games. His record was a goal every 4 games which isn't too bad, especially considering many of his appearances were from the bench. 

His highlight was probably the fantastic volley he scored at Rugby Park last season. (I think he'd rather forget his missed penalty against Celtic in the semi final however! :) )

The fans wanted him to succeed but he was in a team who were creating so many chances and he only scored 2 goals in 22 league games in the Championship last season, missing plenty of sitters in the process.

Best of luck to him and I wish him all the best. You don't score 42 goals in one season if you're a bad player.

Edited by thepundit

Record would suggest he's better.

Well, not really. If you take the goals scored overall then Clark will edge Reilly out. If you be more specific and discuss goals scored in the Championship Reilly's record is better.

Playing 64 scoring 25 (39% Strike rate).

Compared to Clark playing 55 scoring 10 (18% Strike rate).

Admittedly Reilly will have started more games (no idea how many, I'm not THAT keen) but Clark was at a better side and you have to imagine even with sub appearances he'll have had just as many goalscoring opportunities as Reilly did with us.

Not sure I agree he didn't get a run at Rangers when he played more than a 100 games. His record was a goal every 4 games which isn't too bad, especially considering many of his appearances were from the bench. 

The fans wanted him to succeed but he was in a team who were creating so many chances and he only scored 2 goals in 22 league games in the Championship last season, missing plenty of sitters in the process.

Your second paragraph confirms my thinking re. goalscoring chances. 1 goal in every 4 games sounds impressive but when you scrutinise it and say that his strike rate for Rangers was 22% or 23 goals in 103 games it doesn't sound as appetising.

Ironic that my thinking of Clark has always been 1 goal from every 4 chances and his official strike rate for Rangers wasn't far off 25% ;)

FWIW, the post isn't supposed to be a massive criticism of Clark. It's more a defence of Reilly. If Reilly isn't doing it for The Pars I don't imagine Clark will be the answer. Unless Reilly and Clark form a solid partnership of course. But is it not a case of lack of creativity rather than lack of finishing? If so, Clark definitely isn't the answer. I can't really recall him 'creating something out of nothing'. It'll be interesting to see how they do though and I'm sure a lot of Queens fans will be keeping an eye on them.

Although our strikers have showed very little so far, our service to them and general creativity (Dumbarton game aside) has been poor. 

This is a positive signing, though. Clark's goal scoring record at Rangers left a lot to be desired, we know that. But if AJ can get him and Reilly playing like they did when they won League 1 then hopefully we will see more goals from the final third. He scored 40 odd goals for Queens in one season under Johnston. That is an amazing feat whatever league you're playing in Scotland. Sometimes a change of scenery and working with familiar faces again can be enough to kick start someone's career. We've seen plenty of apparently guff players move to a different club and done the business. With Cardle, Wedderburn, Murdoch all coming back before league action, I'm a lot more confident. Still be doing well to get a result against United, but definitely a lot more confident. 

Although our strikers have showed very little so far, our service to them and general creativity (Dumbarton game aside) has been poor. 

It goes both ways though, if you're midfielders can't see the strikers putting in good movement or getting in good positions you don't make chances. We've had allot of opportunities to get balls into the box and Moff and Reilly haven't been there.

Think of Raith where we had all that play and possession in the first half and didn't get have a single decent opportunity. Our strikers movement was horrendous.

I'd taken Clarke missing a few opportunities, sounds like he's adept at getting into good positions.