Walking Down The Halbeath Road

44 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

And that's fair play for him, but if the players are getting humped throughout pre season, does it have an effect on them? Especially if it's teams they should be expected to thump if it was a regular game? You need a win or two in there somewhere, or heads will start to fall, even if it is just pre season. 

I have no idea really about phycology of a prefessional sportsman really, but previous pre season experiences would lead me to believe that results don't really matter, there's allot more going on in pre season that will determine the season than simply judging it on the results of the game. 

Just now, DeeBairn said:

You'll not be saying that if you get fucked over in the first three or four games. 

Just need to hope that doesn't happen then, Ken? 

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I have no idea really about phycology of a prefessional sportsman really, but previous pre season experiences would lead me to believe that results don't really matter, there's allot more going on in pre season that will determine the season than simply judging it on the results of the game. 

Just need to hope that doesn't happen then, Ken? 

Aye, min. For sures. 

The way we’ve finished the last two seasons would suggest our management and sports scientist know what they’re doing in terms of the preseason fitness and preparation. It can’t mask the fact we’re missing two strikers. 

2 hours ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Yes, that would be correct.

Great football player and very clever, he's fairly immobile though. When we were in third tier I thought he was class out wide. Johnston played around with having him in central midfield when we were short on numbers and he was very inconsistent. The jump to Championship was maybe too much.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Injured, but he probably didn't have the pace to work effectively as a winger in the championship, I think he will eventually move into being a central midfielder, he really is an intelligent footballer with an absolutely fantastic deliver though. He's different to Froxy in that he'll work harder for the team aswell, I'd probably rather have him than Froxy tbh. 

Injury has maybe caused it to go but he certainly used to have plenty of pace and played regularly enough for us in the Championship when we were promoted. Wouldnt ever have said mobility was an issue then. Perhaps a tendency to try too much and lose the ball and certainly couldnt tackle.

He certainly is a player with a long record of injuries though. Really good guy. Hope he does sign for Dumbarton.

As well as having shite results, we also played really shite in our friendlies last season and played players well out of position. I’m sure Nat played at the back at least once which didn’t happen in real games unless injuries/suspension forced it.

I’m firmly in the “friendly results mean f**k all” camp here. I still think we’re a couple of players light, and the priority for me is a decent striker, hopefully AJ finds someone good enough.

29 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Did we not go through this same shit last season with falkirk meant to be world beaters and us glorified amateurs after pre-season.

The pre season results don't matter obviously to some extent but it does look like that the pars are 3 or 4 players short a week going into season starting, whereas others are 2 players short or complete.

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

Not something I have ever taken any note of. Is there anymore friendlies until the league cup group sides?

Arbroath away tomorrow then Motherwell at home Thursday.

28 minutes ago, MrDust said:

The pre season results don't matter obviously to some extent but it does look like that the pars are 3 or 4 players short a week going into season starting, whereas others are 2 players short or complete.

:lol:

You're absolutely desperate for that to be true. The only area we're short is upfront.

We need 2 strikers. We're pretty much sorted everywhere else, although I'd like to see us get a left-winger in. We had a good few first-starters missing for the friendlies, which mean f**k all btw. 

41 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Arbroath away tomorrow then Motherwell at home Thursday.

:lol:

You're absolutely desperate for that to be true. The only area we're short is upfront.

Looked a bit hopeless in defence via highlights, a team of midfielders from the outside, yet your manager states your short in midfield !!

We had players like Thomson, Beading, Ashcroft, Vincent who were missing or got only short time on pitch. Disappointed with defending for Tramere goals but sure that will be worked for on by coaching staff

2 hours ago, MrDust said:

Looked a bit hopeless in defence via highlights, a team of midfielders from the outside, yet your manager states your short in midfield !!

Nope

Wonder if having this version of Peter Houston will work out better than the real thing did for us....

I'm fairly pleased with the look of the team as it is. Though it's not exciting and the expectation isn't very high. 

I think our defence is probably an improvement on last season with Jackson Longridge similarly attacking like Williamson on the other side, having two very attacking and energetic full backs will cause all sorts of problems for opposition. Bit of a muchness in central defence. Both M'Voto and Morris were prone to mistakes, and I'm sure Durnan and Devine are as well otherwise they would not be in the Scottish Championship. Midfield is looking solid enough with good competition. I'm still not sure where Louis Longridge will be used. Strikers are a little bit of a concern. I think Andy Ryan is capable of scoring a lot of goals at this level though, not much options and cover up there.

Edited by ShaggysBeard