Walking Down The Halbeath Road

5 hours ago, DAFC. said:

If possible, send Mahon back and get a couple of solid loans for this league just to take us over the line. Otherwise I can’t see us being desperate to make signings. We have plenty options and O’Hara and Allan are back. 

Swap Mahon back for a bit of a utility player perhaps? LM/LB/LCB not that I can think of anyone mind you! 

Edited by 101

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Swap Mahon back for a bit of a utility player perhaps? LM/LB/LCB not that I can think of anyone mind you! 

Mahon got his chance against Clyde and offered nothing. So swapping him for cover in areas we need covering would be ideal. No big deal if we keep to the status quo either. 

Just now, DA-go Par Adonis said:

Any other players offer nothing for the first 45 minutes against Clyde?

I wouldn't be writing him off based on that, especially when he's looked lively off the bench once or twice also.

Thought he looked poor against Peterhead as well.

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

If we get by Dundee in the Challenge Cup, Raith await us in the semi-final. It will be played at EEP. Yay, I guess? 

It would be nice but it’s still a joke cup and hard to be excited by.

On Mahon, I missed a couple of his sub appearances and the start he got vs Clyde was pathetic, every attack down his side fell apart as soon as the ball became within 10 yards of him.   Even when he was not receiving the ball you’d have Edwards and mochrie trying to link up and him just getting in the way.   He completely lacked any positional sense or game intelligence.   

We play with normalny  1 creative AM , at times 2 which has only worked against poorer sides and at times none at all,  when he’s comfortably behind mochrie and KRH with wighton also happy in that role it’s hard to value him significantly on our squad.  I’d far rather being able to look at the bench and see a strong left sided defensive player available. 

I thought Mahon was trying too hard to impress against Clyde that day.

He was trying wee tricks that didn't come off and was playing as an individual. There were moments when a simple ball was required but he tried to run at a cluster of defenders instead and hitting dead ends.  That's not what we're about.

I think he's probably much better than we have seen, not sure he will get much chance to show it though. Wingers have not got a big part to play in McPake's preferred set-ups.

Mahon played well and was involved in our second goal when he made his debut v Peterhead. KRH came on that day and looked terrible. Since then, KRH has offered much more for the team.

Mahon also came on as a late sub away to Clyde and looked ok, without doing much. Then at home to Clyde, he was very disappointing. As noted above, he seemed to be trying too hard to impress. But he was far from the only player that was poor that day and nobody else could have complained about being taken off at HT.

Got to trust McPake on this one. If he thinks Mahon can be useful in the second half of the season, I’m happy to trust him. McPake has (presumably) seen him before signing him and seen him in training every day since he arrived. So he’s in a much better position to judge than any of us.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

I’d far rather being able to look at the bench and see a strong left sided defensive player available

Who will be dropping down to League 1 to be a back up left sided defensive player? 

I thought Fenton plays there anyway?

Aye, I presume Fenton is the back up option for Edwards - or MacDonald, who I'm sure has played on the left before.

Mahon is only 19 and has a bit of pedigree going by his career to date.  He's also been with us for 3 months now, so you'd imagine if McPake wants to keep him, he sees a player who can make some sort of impact in the 2nd half of the season now that he has settled in.  I'd guess it would be coming off the bench (barring injuries), but I'd imagine that being the same for anyone else who joins us in January.  I can't see the likes of Tiffoney or McMullen rocking up in the window and us starting to play some sort of expansive 4-4-2.

There isn't any glaringly obvious weak points in the team now, so I expect a quiet month unless someone McPake feels is a genuine upgrade on what we have comes available. 

Some more depth is needed in some places but as others have said, who's going to come and bench warm for us in L1? I'd rather roll the dice with Fenton if needs be than have someone eating a wage on the off chance they're needed.

59 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Wonder if there’s anything to the Agyeman rumour as I see the player is actually named in McPake’s Thursday interview. Normally with those things no names are mentioned, obviously McPake has played it down but he has to. 

I wonder if a swap deal could be done with either O'Hara or Todorov going up to Kelty, it would be a good deal for us if course.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I wonder if a swap deal could be done with either O'Hara or Todorov going up to Kelty, it would be a good deal for us if course.

I’d take a swap for O’Hara. Ideally I’d like to keep Todorov as he’s a big physical nuisance but I suppose if the offer was Agyeman or Todorov then I’m having the former. I just think  Todorov will offer more between now and the end of the season. I was delighted when we signed O’Hara (after a few days of letting the dust settle) mainly because he’d been a thorn in our side when playing for Alloa. He really hasn’t lived up to the hype, hat trick at Alloa, the odd goal here or there but not the guy I thought we were getting.

Edited by The Toun Clock