Walking Down The Halbeath Road

39 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Scottish Cup? I'm always bothered about getting papped out, it's a prestigious tournament and I'd die happy to see us win it just once in my life. 

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I don't get the 'argument' that the Scottish Cup is some kind of distraction from the league. For a start, the dates are scheduled before the season starts. Secondly, said dates don't interfere with the league anyway. Finally, when has it actually ever been a 'distraction' anyway? We've done well in it and been relegated. We've done we'll in it and won leagues. We've done poorly in it and won leagues.

There is absolutely no data that shows the Scottish Cup is a 'distraction' or any indication either way of how we will get on in the league.

Frankly calling it a 'distraction' is just a daft cliche.

I think it's probably easier this year/going forward because there's no replays, games are played to a finish on the day. Years gone by if you end up with a midweek replay that goes to ET and Pens it may mean the team are a bit leggy come the weekend fixture, maybe that's where the term 'distraction ' comes in especially if in a title hunt.

We all want to see the Pars win the Scottish Cup at some point in our lifetime but it's unlikely it'll be this year, hence why I'm not too bothered about it and I'm more focused on the league. Ideally I'd like to see us win the league this season without the need for it to go down to the wire, I'd take going out the Scottish on Saturday for that. Don't get me wrong, I'll not be sitting with a Thistle hat on this weekend, I still want us to win I'm just not going to be too bothered if we don't. Never know, could draw one of the gruesome twosome away in the next round should we get through which wouldn't be a terrible thing for the club. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

But we aren't presented with the choice of 'win the league but get pumped out the cup' or 'don't win the league but have a decent cup run'. It doesn't need to be one or the other. We had to replay the Clyde and Inverness games in 2004 but still finishes fourth. In 2007 we had to replay the Hibs game but got relegated.

If we go get through (have my doubts, think we'll get a bit of a reality check, although will be going) then I really hope we avoid drawing either Celtic or Sevco.

31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

But we aren't presented with the choice of 'win the league but get pumped out the cup' or 'don't win the league but have a decent cup run'. It doesn't need to be one or the other. We had to replay the Clyde and Inverness games in 2004 but still finishes fourth. In 2007 we had to replay the Hibs game but got relegated.

If we go get through (have my doubts, think we'll get a bit of a reality check, although will be going) then I really hope we avoid drawing either Celtic or Sevco.

I know it's not a choice, just a personal preference. Less games, fresher legs and hopefully the title at the end of it. Players might view it differently, they might want games thick and fast.

It's not like we go and put teams to bed early doors scoring 5 or 6 most weeks like the last time we won L1. We tend to win by a goal in tense matches, it's tough and demanding, I'd just rather we had less of that to do in this particular season. If we were having another 2015/2016 season I'd be looking at the cup thinking about potential scalps, full of enthusiasm but for now it's the league, everything else is irrelevant.

I think It'll be tight, could even go to ET but I think Thistle will be in the hat for the next round. 2-1.

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Kevin linked with Celtic again, hopefully Celtic have learnt their lesson from the John McGinn debacle and are going to offer serious money.

£3m starting bid would be lovely.

They rejected 3.5 mil from Birmingham when he wasn’t in as good form. They will quite rightly demand a lot for him if the Old Firm or English clubs come calling. 
Just thinking how much a joy he was to watch for us. Would have defenders in knots whilst making it look like he wasn’t even putting effort in to it. 

10 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Rumour is 30% mate, not confirmed officially by the club but enough of the ITK types seem to say it was that. 

I thought that - I just wanted it posted again incase any of our six-fingered neighbours/neeburs had popped in to say hello............ 

11 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Rumour is 30% mate, not confirmed officially by the club but enough of the ITK types seem to say it was that. 

I would be surprised if its as much as that albeit would be delighted if they sell him for a decent wedge and it is that. I thought it was around 20%

1 hour ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I would be surprised if its as much as that albeit would be delighted if they sell him for a decent wedge and it is that. I thought it was around 20%

From what I heard (from multiple people) at the time, it is 30%. Due to covid and it’s impact on finances, we accepted a lower upfront fee than the one we rejected in January 2020, on the basis that we got a 30% sell on fee.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

From what I heard (from multiple people) at the time, it is 30%. Due to covid and it’s impact on finances, we accepted a lower upfront fee than the one we rejected in January 2020, on the basis that we got a 30% sell on fee.

Aye I heard similar. We rejected £400K from Dundee Utd in the Jan and then sold for £250K in the summer to Hibs.

Anyone heading along to the Supporters Council meeting this evening? Looking forward to seeing what the club say about a number of things.

16 hours ago, DAFC. said:

They rejected 3.5 mil from Birmingham when he wasn’t in as good form. They will quite rightly demand a lot for him if the Old Firm or English clubs come calling. 
Just thinking how much a joy he was to watch for us. Would have defenders in knots whilst making it look like he wasn’t even putting effort in to it. 

30% of anything more than 3.5m would have me erect for days like.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

It would also be our biggest ever transfer fee received. Think its currently about £650,000 for Jackie McNamara.

About time that was broken to be fair.

I don't know if you were around at the time or maybe some posters were, was that used for any specific projects or was it just spent generally.

Obviously getting way to far ahead of myself but if the club suddenly came into £1m+ I'd want the tannoy/PA system upgraded and "Safe" standing installed.

Oh and I know this seems our there but every turnstyle fixed so that they all work, particularly in the NW.