Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

I do wonder how things would have panned out if he didn't jack it in at the end of 20-21.

Doubt we’d have finished in the bottom two anyway, but all in the past now and poor decisions were made, to put it lightly. Hopefully the trajectory continues to be upward with Cook now as CEO.  

Unrelated note, but Todd, Bene, and Edwards would all have to shit the bed the remainder of the season to not get in to the team of the year. 

Nothing major to report from tonight’s Supporters Council meeting. David Cook, James McPake & Matty Todd all there, all spoke well. Thomas Meggle was there also but didn’t speak. No real update on the training base from what we know already.

Questions were the norm, nothing exciting. Someone did ask about the kit deal, it is ending with Joma in the summer after 10 years. New manufacturer is agreed, wasn’t announced but David Cook did say (in response to the question where adidas were mentioned) were not quite in a place to be attracting Adidas & Nike but the next tier down is where we’re at, new manufacturer a good fit for the club, have promised bespoke kits plus bespoke training/leisurewear which sounds class. I’d love Umbro!

5 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

I do wonder how things would have panned out if he didn't jack it in at the end of 20-21.

Probably lurching between long winning and losing runs but with some class signings, I doubt we would have been relegated.

However when we finally get into the top flight and consolidate I hope there is a position for him in scouting, recruitment academy development etc. should he want to come back.

ETA, probably in about 30 years.

Edited by 101

Big IF but if we were to secure promotion and get a healthy sell-on from Nisbet before next season, I think we need to try and chuck everything we can, whilst being pragmatic, at getting promoted to the Premiership straight away. Not saying go out and buy players we can’t afford but at least try and be the ones that offer some of the best wages to players that will compete with the likes of Ross County, Queens Park etc whose only real attraction is the money they are shelling out  

I’ve every faith that McPake can take us in that direction. He did it with Dundee at the first time of asking. I know I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, but it’s finally good to have some positivity which is enabling us to have these conversations. We’ve had to deal with some amount of shite recently. 

16 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Big IF but if we were to secure promotion and get a healthy sell-on from Nisbet before next season, I think we need to try and chuck everything we can, whilst being pragmatic, at getting promoted to the Premiership straight away. Not saying go out and buy players we can’t afford but at least try and be the ones that offer some of the best wages to players that will compete with the likes of Ross County, Queens Park etc whose only real attraction is the money they are shelling out  

I’ve every faith that McPake can take us in that direction. He did it with Dundee at the first time of asking. I know I’m getting a bit ahead of myself, but it’s finally good to have some positivity which is enabling us to have these conversations. We’ve had to deal with some amount of shite recently. 

I would pay a development fee for Sam Fisher and bring in a bit more defensive cover on top of that. Think we could do with pushing the wage structure for a quality midfielder if we moved up and had a windfall.

I think our forwards are fine. Wighton is back to the player that first joined us. I wouldn't be surprised to see Todorov leave. Not a great deal of game time and I think he is one of the top earners.  Could see Agyeman replacing him.

Overall I would say keeping the momentum going with the majority of this team and adding 2-3 improvements could get us challenging next year if we get promoted. Interest to see how we get on in the next couple of games against top end championship sides.

Disappointing but I expected it considering there had been no immediate announcement similar to KRH and Mochrie. He's been really good but Breen had been solid before Fisher came in, then he got a knock and subsequently lost his place to Fisher and it's been that way since. Need another CB in but Breen will fill Fisher's place no problem, Breen also adds a bit of attacking presence for set-pieces with his height etc.

13 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Did what? We finished 3rd in his first season absolutely miles off the pace after 27 games. 18 points behind United and 4 behind Inverness despite getting free reign to build a totally new squad. GD of +1 in the second tier after 27 games and that was due to keeping 5 clean sheets in our final 6 games. Finished 1 point ahead of Ayr and 5 ahead of Arbroath.

Second season was just as bad - had to go on an 8 game unbeaten run at the end of the season to marginally finish ahead of you guys managed by Stevie Crawford and pipped Raith to 2nd on the final day of the season when he was again given free reign to spend relatively huge amounts of money.

He seems to have started off amazingly well with you guys, but let's not re-write history here.

3 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Punting the big man and Super Joe was the beginning of the end of AJ's time with us, and ultimately his managerial career.

When AJ put M'Voto up front with 40 minutes to go against Utd at Tannadice in the playoffs his fate was sealed for me. How he got another 6 months in the job after that was a disgrace. Other guys he let go like Shaun Byrne, Falky, completely unforgivable. Guys a complete bellend too apparently.

As a team that regularly plays 3 at the back we need at least one CB possibly another (one that could cover left back) would be good.

Sam is a big loss. He seemed to be enjoying his time with us and putting in good performances. I'm sure we can get replacements though. 

If Dundee don't play him in the next few months I would make a move for him in the summer regardless of what division we are in.

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Did what? We finished 3rd in his first season absolutely miles off the pace after 27 games. 18 points behind United and 4 behind Inverness despite getting free reign to build a totally new squad. GD of +1 in the second tier after 27 games and that was due to keeping 5 clean sheets in our final 6 games. Finished 1 point ahead of Ayr and 5 ahead of Arbroath.

Second season was just as bad - had to go on an 8 game unbeaten run at the end of the season to marginally finish ahead of you guys managed by Stevie Crawford and pipped Raith to 2nd on the final day of the season when he was again given free reign to spend relatively huge amounts of money.

He seems to have started off amazingly well with you guys, but let's not re-write history here.

“Despite being given free rein to build a totally new squad” - that part seems odd to me. If he signed a lot of players at once (and presumably offloaded quite a few?), then it’s hardly a surprise it took time for things to click. Expecting instant success with a new manager and high player turnover is asking a lot.

I do agree with your comments on his second season. It wasn’t the undeniable success story that some people seem to paint it as. If you’d been comfortably 2nd and gone up in the playoffs, it would have been, but you weren’t. Getting promotion would have been the target though and he undoubtedly achieved that.

Didnt see enough if you in the Premiership to comment. But you did come straight back down, so hard to argue he did well that season.

Having said all of that, McPake has been fantastic for us. He has been very honest about learning from mistakes and Dundee and believing that he is now a better manager for it. I think he feels hard done by. Dundee’s board knew they were appointing a rookie manager and didn’t seem to understand that there would be rough patches.

Also, I’m really disappointed to lose Fisher. Wish the guy all the best for the future though. Very good player, who will be missed at the club.

11 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

When AJ put M'Voto up front with 40 minutes to go against Utd at Tannadice in the playoffs his fate was sealed for me. How he got another 6 months in the job after that was a disgrace. Other guys he let go like Shaun Byrne, Falky, completely unforgivable. Guys a complete bellend too apparently.

He got a two year contract after that!

I work with one of the players from that team. Says he needlessly split the League 1 promotion side up too quickly and destroyed any momentum. Says the treatment of Faz was disgraceful. Man management wasn't a strong point for AJ.