Walking Down The Halbeath Road

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm not sure why red cards shouldn't be handed out in friendlies. If there's a challenge bad enough to merit one then why should a player get away with it? Perhaps removing the suspension might be an idea though, save for the more serious foul play (like elbowing folk or horror challenges).

It's not a new thing either, it's been happening for years (although it's not particularly common).

I think the reason that it wasn't particularly common, was because the first part of what you said was happening. Unless it was serious foul play reds weren't being dished out. 

Suspensions carrying over to competitive games is silly. 

1 minute ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think it is kind of silly to remove the punishment from the offence. That could just lead to carnage on the pitch.

Fair point but a yellow and a word to the manager to make a sub seems perfectly fine for a friendly no?
Means someone else can get a run out and get some minutes/fitness in a game where that is literally the point, ref has been seen to punish an innocuous mistake, and we don't end up having to talk about silly suspensions affecting genuinely competitive games.

If the challenge is a genuine shocker/has serious malicious intent then fair enough, but this didn't seem like that at all. In a normal game it would be a red, but yesterday it really felt like it could have been handled differently. Don't think you'd have seen many Alloa fans/players/staff complaining if the ref hadn't sent him off.

16 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

I think the reason that it wasn't particularly common, was because the first part of what you said was happening. Unless it was serious foul play reds weren't being dished out. 

Suspensions carrying over to competitive games is silly. 

If it didn't, then what would be the point of having cards in friendlies at all?

As Jagsfan57 said, there has to be a deterrent in place - even friendlies. 

Edited by pantene proV

Certainly in the past referees have spoken to the managers then the player has been subbed off. As for punishment, a club fine and possibly making the manager think twice about starting him in the best game if he can't "behave" in a friendly is suitable imo. Again, it's different for serious foul play or violent conduct but mistiming a challenge when everyone is a bit rusty doesn't seem to merit that, again imo. 

I'm away to put money on the wee team winning the cup game, seeing as we'll be without Hamilton and Ritchie-Hosler.  😅

32 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Again, it's different for serious foul play or violent conduct but mistiming a challenge when everyone is a bit rusty doesn't seem to merit that, again imo. 

Got to assume that a straight red means it’s deemed serious foul play though? Mistiming a challenge isn’t a red card offence. It’s not like he was sent off for 2 yellows, it was a straight red.

11 hours ago, 101 said:

Why did the ref send him off and not just ask him to be subbed off, seems crazy to send someone off impacting on real games for what sounds like a mistake rather than malicious challenge.

I think the ref just applied the laws of the game, which is as it should be.

It may not have been malicious, but that's irrelevant, it was a clear example of serious foul play which could have badly injured Hetherington. 

58 minutes ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

Fair point but a yellow and a word to the manager to make a sub seems perfectly fine for a friendly no?
Means someone else can get a run out and get some minutes/fitness in a game where that is literally the point, ref has been seen to punish an innocuous mistake, and we don't end up having to talk about silly suspensions affecting genuinely competitive games.

If the challenge is a genuine shocker/has serious malicious intent then fair enough, but this didn't seem like that at all. In a normal game it would be a red, but yesterday it really felt like it could have been handled differently. Don't think you'd have seen many Alloa fans/players/staff complaining if the ref hadn't sent him off.

I have no objection to relaxing some of the rules in friendlies as already happens eg in the number of subs allowed. Even friendlies are learning opportunities for players and if they see that mistake go unpunished in the friendly, they might do so it in a competitive game with a different outcome?

10 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I have no objection to relaxing some of the rules in friendlies as already happens eg in the number of subs allowed. Even friendlies are learning opportunities for players and if they see that mistake go unpunished in the friendly, they might do so it in a competitive game with a different outcome?

Not if the ref makes it clear they are fortunate, which they would and should do in event of a 'yellow and a sub' situation I described.
I think it's probably the correct decision, but the reason people are complaining isn't solely because of the suspensions later. It's because it looks like a bit of a harsh-but-fair one. 

For that to get given in a friendly stings a bit.

Edited by Andriy_Parmolenko

54 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Got to assume that a straight red means it’s deemed serious foul play though? Mistiming a challenge isn’t a red card offence. It’s not like he was sent off for 2 yellows, it was a straight red.

I was thinking about the one where someone was sent off for denying a goalscoring opportunity but having seen the highlights the one last night does look just like a mistimed/over stretched challenge more than a desperate lunge or being out of control. Its one that in a competitive game you'd expect a straight red as he catches him on top of the foot, but you might get lucky and get a yellow. In a friendly? Don't see the need for a red in a bounce game tbh.

19 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but if Raith or Falkirk were playing either Celtic or Rangers then I want the OF team to win, preferably by a cricket score.

Would have to disagree there, I understand the thinking but I will support ANY team against either of the Uglies and that includes Raith and Falkirk. Even if it means a cup final victory and never hearing the end of it. I don't grudge Rovers their League Cup Final at all purely because they got it right up Celtic which was extremely funny.

A victory over either of the OF is a victory for Scottish football. Club rivalry no matter how fierce is one thing but the OF is by far the greater enemy of us all.

9 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

Would have to disagree there, I understand the thinking but I will support ANY team against either of the Uglies and that includes Raith and Falkirk. Even if it means a cup final victory and never hearing the end of it. I don't grudge Rovers their League Cup Final at all purely because they got it right up Celtic which was extremely funny.

A victory over either of the OF is a victory for Scottish football. Club rivalry no matter how fierce is one thing but the OF is by far the greater enemy of us all.

You're wrong.

When was the last time a player was subbed instead of getting a red card in a friendly? We're surely going back many, many years, if not decades. I can't recall the last time it happened, but I can recall the last red a Pars player got in a friendly.