Walking Down The Halbeath Road

10 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Aye I'm not feeling it either. 

Aye I’m genuinely not that fussed right now.  Different kettle of fish for me compared to Falkirk, especially after last season.  I’m also not that fussed about the league cup format now either, most teams are only 60/70% ready with their squads so it’s less of an indicator for the league season than it maybe was in the past.

Still though, be nice to cuff them back into their wee cage today. 😏

Just now, HoBNob said:

Sounds exciting, what happened? 

Wee guys ran into the pub grabbed a pars flag and legged it, completely shat it, I presume some pavement dancing followed.

2 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

Slaver in Chief Yogi Hughes says there is English clubs sniffing around Matty. 

He must have heard that there’s a couple of English clubs wanting a new right back. Will always remember him as the clown that played Todd as RB ahead of Comrie and had the useless Polworth and Lawless in the roles Todd should have been in.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

He must have heard that there’s a couple of English clubs wanting a new right back. Will always remember him as the clown that played Todd as RB ahead of Comrie and had the useless Polworth and Lawless in the roles Todd should have been in.

Crazy that Polworth and Lawless weren't actually shit players and after leaving us went on to have very good seasons. It's almost as if the abysmal manager was the problem!

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Crazy that Polworth and Lawless weren't actually shit players and after leaving us went on to have very good seasons. It's almost as if the abysmal manager was the problem!

Yeah, to be fair I’m not questioning their talent. But they were abysmal and completely ineffective with us. That’s 100% on the manager who brought them in on short term deals and didn’t find a way to get the best out of them. 

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Yeah, to be fair I’m not questioning their talent. But they were abysmal and completely ineffective with us. That’s 100% on the manager who brought them in on short term deals and didn’t find a way to get the best out of them. 

Yeah agree with you, they (along with most others) were absolutely pish under Hughes. But as you say, that was on Hughes. A deluded, silly man.

McCann perplexes me at times. 

His goal today was tremendous. He took two lads on and smashed a brilliant shot past their goalie.

Yet he often misses easy chances.

I like him, think he's a good player, but if he converted more he's be our record fee received.

Anyway, onto todays game. Thought we were good in spells and very poor in others. But it’s the first competitive game and the squad is far from complete.

McCann was very very good on the left, then less effective through the middle. We need a proper striker to provide cover/competition for Wighton. McCann is excelling on the left of a front 3, so we need to keep him there.

Mehmet made 2 excellent saves in the second half and had a fairly solid game. Fisher, Benedictus and Breen all played well too.

Todd was unusually quiet, but looked like Raith had prepared for him and had 2/3 men on him most of the time - which is probably why McCann got so much joy on the other side.

I’ll not really focus/get drawn in on the negatives. Poor goal to concede - 2 or 3 men could have stopped him getting through. If Hamilton’s on the park, Easton doesn’t walk through the midfielders like that.

Thought Raith were a very odd team. Constantly tripping/kicking/pulling back our players. Then Vaughan and Easton were diving all over the place. Slightest contact, they were screaming and rolling around, I couldn’t believe the ref bought all of that. Easton should have been off for 2 yellows, after at least 4 really obvious yellow card offences. But then we had a few obvious yellows that were also let go. Ref was alright on the whole and seemed to be trying to let the game flow, which is fine with me.

Weird that McGowan hasn’t been signed given how bare the bench was today. Said it yesterday but it must be that he’s expecting more money. He was probably on a very healthy wage at Dundee, he’s just not going to get that with us in the Championship but I think he’ll struggle to do better. I mean Dundee Utd won’t sign him, I can’t see Thistle/Inverness/QP signing him.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

His goal today was tremendous. He took two lads on and smashed a brilliant shot past their goalie.

I like him, think he's a good player, but if he converted more he's be our record fee received.

I think this will be his big season, a bit like Matty Todd did last year, I think McCann will be getting talked about all season. He looks a nightmare to play against, very physical, quick and does score goals. You’re right, he does seem to score the 20-30 yarders but miss the tap ins though! 🤣

Edited by The Toun Clock

Just now, The Toun Clock said:

Weird that McGowan hasn’t been signed given how bare the bench was today. Said it yesterday but it must be that he’s expecting more money. He was probably on a very healthy wage at Dundee, he’s just not going to get that with us in the Championship but I think he’ll struggle to do better. I mean Dundee Utd won’t sign him, I can’t see Thistle/Inverness/QP signing him.

Has to want more money and/or a longer contract. Genuinely surprised something wasn’t sorted out this week. He definitely would have added something off the bench.

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Think he thrives in that left wing/forward role. Not got the pressure of being focal point up front. He’s also at his best with the ball at his feet, running at defenders. When he’s through the middle, the ball just gets punted towards him. Clearly got a lot of talent and physically he is fantastic. He’s tall, strong and quick. He hit great form towards the end of the season and seems to be continuing that. Really hope he can kick on and be a great player for us.