Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Fact or fiction god knows but I heard the stumbling block with McGowan at the moment is  his age. The moneymens signing policy is for younger players.

Nothing to do with McGowan's demands etc.

The way Matty went down looks like a good few weeks out.

Hopefully Mcpake is bending the Germans ear and getting a few in including Mcgowan.

Edited by timbermill tactician

FFS that’s arguably our best player out now. What a shite batch of luck.

Unless our young players are akin to the youth that Hibs produced between 2004 and 2006, I think the first few months of the season will be a bit of a slog. 

1 minute ago, Stoo61 said:

Andy Tod btw. Stepped up there , ran the midfield. 

Great prospect. I would keep him in around the first team and see if he can break through. Initial thought was a loan but I think he's got too much to offer. Exciting player at 17/18?

Hope Matty’s ok. McCann too. Decent performance from us, but we really weren’t up against much. If Annan don’t sign a lot more players, they’ll be straight back down. That team was worse than anything we came up against last season.

One of the dirtiest sides I've seen us play in a long time. And a very poor one too, can't see them anywhere other than 10th based on that. 

Hard to judge us as a result but some really nice play in the second half and I agree, the grandson of Tod had a very good run out. 

Todd's injury looked extremely worrying, especially when he first went down. He didn't need a stretcher, which is the only crumb of comfort I can take from it. McCann and Edwards also looked like they had knocks and MOH was missing entirely from the matchday squad. Add in KRH's surgery and you really see how threadbare our squad truly is. I am officially concerned.

Thought we managed to win that very comfortably, despite not playing particularly well at any stage. Some of Annan's defending was atrocious, although I felt they looked decent on the ball at times. The number 7 Luissint was tidy first half but faded away. Would have to imagine they'd be doing extremely well to avoid the bottom two.

Also, have the seagulls nested on one of the roofs around EEP? They were going fucking apeshit all evening.

I wasn’t there so can’t comment on the injury but all sounds bad. Only thing I can say is Rhys Breen got stretchered off last season, looked like he’d never walk again and he trained on the Monday, I hopefully one of those ones where it’s a dull one but will be back in a week or two. 

Just listened to McPake’s post match interview. Sounds like O’Hallaron had a bit of tightness that has came with his increased training in the last couple of weeks so wasn’t risked, believe he was training on his own so the increase of training with the team daily. Hamilton will be back for Killie. Matty Todd assessed tomorrow, getting a scan, injury is his ankle, McPake hoping we get a bit of luck with this one. 

Said there wouldn’t be panic signings to cover injuries. Quality over quantity, and that the fans would stand by them with that when we see the quality that arrives.

7 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Said there wouldn’t be panic signings to cover injuries. Quality over quantity, and that the fans would stand by them with that when we see the quality that arrives.

I know he has to say that but we were told similar last season (and a few folk said that we had players potentially joining who would be statement signings for League One) and it didn't happen. I've also heard that the owners are very particular about signings, demanding detailed dossiers about their strengths and weaknesses, where they'll fit into the squad, what the long term plans for them are etc, so it wouldn't surprise me if McGowan not signing yet is due to reluctance on their part. At some point though surely you have to trust the manager to spend the budget you give him. 

41 minutes ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

It did happen though, Bene and Hamilton came in early but Mochrie, KRH, Mahon and Fisher all arrived later in the day - compared to where we are now.  None of them were failures.

None of them were permanent either, although obviously two of them are now. And we also had quite a ropey start to the season, failing to qualify from the League Cup groups despite a decent start, being very sketchy in the first two home games, etc. We got away with it last season as we moved through the gears but I think a good start to the league campaign is going to be vital this time round as the league is so tight, with no real no hopers and teams well capable of beating everyone on their day.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I think a good start to the league campaign is going to be vital this time round as the league is so tight, with no real no hopers and teams well capable of beating everyone on their day.

If the league is as tight as you (and I) think it's going to be then perhaps any given team CAN afford a slow(ish) start as they won't get detached too quickly from where they want to be

Aye, but we can start with:

Mehmet, Comrie, Fisher, Bene, Breen, Edwards, Otoo, Hamilton, Chalmers, McCann and Wighton.

Allan and Tod can come off the bench and we'll see about Todd, KRH and whether McGowan signs. 

That side should be competitive against anyone in the league. Yes, the overall squad needs strengthened, but it's not a catastrophe if we are not done and dusted by the Airdrie game.