Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Rudden is absolutely terrible. He's good at being in the right place at the right time but even then, he'll somehow muck it up 75% of the time. Other than that, he's slow, he can't hold the ball up at all, he simply needs to be in a 2 otherwise he's genuinely worse than a man down. He's a bit of a shitebag when it comes to 50/50s, which is even more infuriating when his second touch needs to be a tackle. I can see him having a purple patch and lighting up the Championship in a couple of years time but I really don't know how he has managed to keep a semi-decent reputation. His scoring record, considering the above, isn't the worst but Jakubiak is 100x the player Rudden is but just doesn't have the goals to back it up.

Would rather have Jakubiak. Offers something different and of course we need another strike immediately, along with a good 5 or 6 other signings. Probably have to take advantage of the loan market at this point. 

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rudden is absolutely terrible. He's good at being in the right place at the right time but even then, he'll somehow muck it up 75% of the time. Other than that, he's slow, he can't hold the ball up at all, he simply needs to be in a 2 otherwise he's genuinely worse than a man down. He's a bit of a shitebag when it comes to 50/50s, which is even more infuriating when his second touch needs to be a tackle. I can see him having a purple patch and lighting up the Championship in a couple of years time but I really don't know how he has managed to keep a semi-decent reputation. His scoring record, considering the above, isn't the worst but Jakubiak is 100x the player Rudden is but just doesn't have the goals to back it up.

In ye come Zak

20 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Appreciate the summary. You’ll have seen a lot more of Rudden than me. I have to say though, we have creative players and we have the guys who’ll do the hard work. We just need a striker who knows how to get that half yard of space in the box and get on the end of balls into the box/crosses.

Wighton’s good in the build up play and will start most weeks. But once KRH and Todd are fit, we have them and McCann to do all the running for the striker and cause defences problems. Also got O’Halloran and hopefully Wotherspoon to help in terms of creativity/running at defenders. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Think if we were interested in either of them they’d have been lined up and signed a while back. It’s not like the management team wouldn’t have thought of them. 

Understand the thought process, but Dundee will have wanted a replacement/upgrade in before agreeing to sell/loan a player to us. That’s why it’s being discussed after they signed a big striker.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Understand the thought process, but Dundee will have wanted a replacement/upgrade in before agreeing to sell/loan a player to us. That’s why it’s being discussed after they signed a big striker.

Don’t think McPake has signed a striker yet since taking over. Must be some sort of management record to go that long. We seemed to be decisive with signing the loan boys and paying for them even when there was managerial changes going on at Celtic and Dundee. Think the terms were agreed when the loans were first agreed though. 

Would be happy with Rudden but also slightly surprised we’ve not had a German in. The way the youngsters developed last season has to be on the radar of bigger clubs looking to loan someone out. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Don’t think McPake has signed a striker yet since taking over. Must be some sort of management record to go that long. We seemed to be decisive with signing the loan boys and paying for them even when there was managerial changes going on at Celtic and Dundee. Think the terms were agreed when the loans were first agreed though. 

Would be happy with Rudden but also slightly surprised we’ve not had a German in. The way the youngsters developed last season has to be on the radar of bigger clubs looking to loan someone out. 

Think Brexit has fucked that up.

Anyway, both Rudden and Jakubiak will do. Cheers the now.

To be fair, I think I've mentioned it before, but when pitching for the Dundee job, McPake said he viewed Shankland, Nisbet and Rudden as the three most promising strikers in Scotland and wanted to build his team around those 3 potential signings. (McPake admitted this when we signed Rudden) So he's clearly a huge fan of him.

He also extended Jakubiak's contract after he'd done nothing at the club and was injured for the best part of 2 seasons.

Wouldn't rule either out from happening.

Keep the faith, we all know we need a few more in and we all know there will be a few loans towards the end of August/September. A couple of good permanent signings before then and we'll be fine. 

I do wonder if there is a Dundee Utd factor here. Obviously not had a good league cup but should have the quality in that team to see out the league comfortably, even if not with too much style. It looks like it might be time up for Arbroath this season, leaving a stramash for 2nd-9th. Why push the boat out for the likes of Wotherspoon when we have a good young squad on longer term deals who can take this season as a stepping stone before a big push next season, in the hope that someone weaker like Livi will be coming down. 

I have nothing to back this up and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it. But I can see it being part of the board's thinking if they're taking a more cautious approach. 

5 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Keep the faith, we all know we need a few more in and we all know there will be a few loans towards the end of August/September. A couple of good permanent signings before then and we'll be fine. 

I do wonder if there is a Dundee Utd factor here. Obviously not had a good league cup but should have the quality in that team to see out the league comfortably, even if not with too much style. It looks like it might be time up for Arbroath this season, leaving a stramash for 2nd-9th. Why push the boat out for the likes of Wotherspoon when we have a good young squad on longer term deals who can take this season as a stepping stone before a big push next season, in the hope that someone weaker like Livi will be coming down. 

I have nothing to back this up and I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it. But I can see it being part of the board's thinking if they're taking a more cautious approach. 

I think, in the very likely mad scramble between 2nd and 9th that choosing to ease up and just accept wherever you end up in that tumble would be an incredibly stupid thing to do,  it almost guarantees you end up at the bottom of that scramble and you’re very close to ending up back at the grant/hughes disaster.  A tight competitive league puts more pressure on going for it and focusing on winning week to week, not less.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

I think, in the very likely mad scramble between 2nd and 9th that choosing to ease up and just accept wherever you end up in that tumble would be an incredibly stupid thing to do,  it almost guarantees you end up at the bottom of that scramble and you’re very close to ending up back at the grant/hughes disaster.  A tight competitive league puts more pressure on going for it and focusing on winning week to week, not less.

Absolutely that would be the danger. Although I think our strongest XI is very good, but we lack depth. And looking at the business other teams (other than Dundee Utd) have done there's really not too many other signings that I'm jealous of tbh. Hamilton is probably the only one. Though there could be another Akinyemi lurking in the unknowns from England.

So I don't think, as it stands, we've fallen behind anyone. As I say, keep the faith. 

I'd have liked Adeloye but Ayr fans seem to be saying he's a bit og a nugget so wouldn't fit in the dressing room.

Also been west coast teams he's played for up here so was never likely on the cairds.

8 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'm still disappointed we didn't take a punt on Agyeman.

Falkirk fans view of Agyeman from this weeks fixture was anything but glowing. I think McPake seen enough from Christmas onwards last season and thought against it.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Would rather have Jakubiak. Offers something different and of course we need another strike immediately, along with a good 5 or 6 other signings. Probably have to take advantage of the loan market at this point. 

There's no way there will be 7 more signings.

14 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

Falkirk fans view of Agyeman from this weeks fixture was anything but glowing. I think McPake seen enough from Christmas onwards last season and thought against it.

Seemed to light it up against Thistle, less so against Utd.

Not sure why folk think Dundee United will win the league comfortably. Their squad doesn't look much better than some other teams and Goodwin isn't exactly getting the best out of players there.