Walking Down The Halbeath Road

7 hours ago, Pmac said:

Would love to know what the Germans are actually bringing to the table? Never spent a penny last season and it’s continuing into this season

^Masterton alias account imo

14 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

It’s not how it looks Brian!

“Not how it looks”? It’s a twenty foot cock and balls, man. It dunt look like nothin’ else! 

What. A. Fucking. Show

17 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

We'd arguably be in a better position on the pitch if they'd not got involved, tbh.

It’s just as likely that we’d be completely skint. We’d definitely have struggled to make it through covid and we had no cash reserves to save us.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

It’s just as likely that we’d be completely skint. We’d definitely have struggled to make it through covid and we had no cash reserves to save us.

Well that’s not true given clubs in far weaker financial positions were fine, furlough, 1/2 million in government grants,  Nisbet money.

38 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

We'd arguably be in a better position on the pitch if they'd not got involved, tbh.

Their mistake was letting the old board continue to make the decisions for the first year+

44 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Do you mean the hiring of Grant and Hughes (shudder)?

Think that was the old board and Meggle that committed those atrocities.

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Well that’s not true given clubs in far weaker financial positions were fine, furlough, 1/2 million in government grants,  Nisbet money.

Have you just completely ignored the fact we were reliant on loans from directors’ pockets to remain solvent pre-covid? The covid grant wouldn’t have matched the loss of revenue/increase in costs that the pandemic brought around either and the ‘Nisbet money’ wasn’t that significant until the recent sell on %. The announcement about the initial investment even alluded to the fact that this had been brought forward, because the club was more or less out of cash. But obviously we weren’t struggling financially…

Anyway, back to the whole ‘be in a better position on the park’ thing. In the last 3/4 years of the previous regime, we also must have seen around 90% of players leave during, or at the end of, their first contract. I can only think of Comrie, Edwards and Dow from the Crawford era that signed any extension. That changed in the last 12 months and we now seem to be a club that players are wanting to play for.

I guess the board being willing to pay fees for Fisher, KRH and Otoo has made us weaker on the park too. It would obviously be better for the future of the club if we continued to rely on loan players that wouldn’t want to be here long-term.

Two months ago, we were all pleased with how things were going. Praising the togetherness of the fans and the club. Praising the young players we’ve been able to recruit/develop. Now, without having even played a league game yet, we’re getting nonsense spouted about how the investment hasn’t improved things. It was always about long term sustainability and working towards a long term goal. That’s been clear from every message/statement we’ve got from them. Investing for short term success is a stupid tactic that sends clubs into administration/liquidation.

14 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Have you just completely ignored the fact we were reliant on loans from directors’ pockets to remain solvent pre-covid? The covid grant wouldn’t have matched the loss of revenue/increase in costs that the pandemic brought around either and the ‘Nisbet money’ wasn’t that significant until the recent sell on %. The announcement about the initial investment even alluded to the fact that this had been brought forward, because the club was more or less out of cash. But obviously we weren’t struggling financially…

Anyway, back to the whole ‘be in a better position on the park’ thing. In the last 3/4 years of the previous regime, we also must have seen around 90% of players leave during, or at the end of, their first contract. I can only think of Comrie, Edwards and Dow from the Crawford era that signed any extension. That changed in the last 12 months and we now seem to be a club that players are wanting to play for.

I guess the board being willing to pay fees for Fisher, KRH and Otoo has made us weaker on the park too. It would obviously be better for the future of the club if we continued to rely on loan players that wouldn’t want to be here long-term.

Two months ago, we were all pleased with how things were going. Praising the togetherness of the fans and the club. Praising the young players we’ve been able to recruit/develop. Now, without having even played a league game yet, we’re getting nonsense spouted about how the investment hasn’t improved things. It was always about long term sustainability and working towards a long term goal. That’s been clear from every message/statement we’ve got from them. Investing for short term success is a stupid tactic that sends clubs into administration/liquidation.

The only time we needed director loans was when the board fucked up and allowed Johnston to build a ridiculously sized squad. 

We also make an operating profit during all the covid years, so yeah, the grants etc did cover any increased costs or loss of revenue, any money Germans are putting in doesn’t count towards that.  The nisbet money was fairly decent at the time, £250k is notable for a club like us, just now the sell on has kicked in we should have a fairly big sum to invest in the club.

They talked of a long term project that was 7-10 years,   We’re 3 years in so results have really got to start kicking quite soon.

2 months ago everyone was pretty happy and I don’t think we’re that’s exactly disappeared.  But being promoted was a time to push on and yet at this stage we’ve lost 6 players to bring in 2.  I don’t think anyone is asking for us to sign a new squad of players,  but we really should have a squad of players.  I can’t remember entering a league season so ridiculously short.

Just now, Hamish's Passenger said:

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but has McPake or the board publicly set any objectives for the season?

Think the official line is avoid relegation 🙄 but mcpake was asked if he thought a play-off push was possible and he said yes.

Just now, Hamish's Passenger said:

Apologies if I’ve missed it, but has McPake or the board publicly set any objectives for the season?

McPake said that as a newly promoted side we're just aiming to avoid relegation. Think there's a bit of management of expectations there. I suspect it's a case of hoping for the playoffs but no pressure to achieve that this year. 

6 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Think the official line is avoid relegation 🙄 but mcpake was asked if he thought a play-off push was possible and he said yes.

In this mental league avoiding relegation and a finishing 3rd can mean the same thing

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Do you mean the hiring of Grant and Hughes (shudder)?

Think that was the old board and Meggle that committed those atrocities.

Meggle part of the new board no? Hear what you're saying though, I remember when we appointed Grant, Ross Mccarthur was smug as anything about it