Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

It's concerning if the board are thinking we are in a decent position with the squad we have and dont need anyone (speculative I know). On the basis of the table it will look acceptable, but we could as easily be at the other end if a couple of results go against us. Last week for example we got away with one

They must know that going into a relegation battle won't help "the model" and the squad has been stretched and patched up for two seasons. We got away with it last season with a lack of injuries, but this season is completely different. Yes we are sat in the right half, but a couple of losses on the bounce will see that change completely!

We need a CB and striker to progress on the pitch and secure our position, creating a squad we can build on and introduce youth to in future. They must see that surely!

Think this is probably a bit harsh, McPake hasn't had a fully fit squad to choose from once this season and still has us in the playoffs with a game in hand. It's easy to say we could nearer the bottom end when results don't go our way but I'd argue our points total could easily be higher if we'd got the luck of the draw ourselves. Just a few examples would be Inverness where we hit the woodwork 8 times, both raith league games where I thought we were more than competitive and had chances to win the game (more so at Starks), Dundee United at tannadice where we were seconds from 3 points. That's just football but we've had our fair share of bad luck and injuries this season.

I'm probably in the minority but I don't think we need 4/5 signings (which would never happen in January anyway). For me some cover at CB to free up both Hammy and Otoo as well as an out and out striker (likely a prem loan youth) would see us ok.

Bene coming back in either this Saturday or the following will be massive for us and I'm glad to see McPake has learned from throwing him in too early against Raith.

Ideally for me I would try off loading Max Little and Harry Sharp, then look to bring in genuine competition/replacement for Mehmet. Not sure how realistic that would be in the January window but certainly business I would like to see soon.

I think another CB. It not only effects our defence when we lose a CB to injury, but it effects our midfield options too.

Again, not sure how easy it is to get a goalscorer at this time of year but clearly need somebody who's more effective infront of goal that our current options. The amount of good chances we miss is ridiculous. McPake has even highlighted the difference a Brian Graham would make with the desire to get on the end of crosses. Our guys don't to have either the ability to finish or knack of being in the right place. Wighton probably the best at finishing but games pass him by too much when he starts.

11 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You make it sound a lot simpler than it is in reality though.

Can certainly tell you’ve never kicked a ball.

But in reality it's not rocket science. You're making it sound more difficult than it is. These guys are professional footballers, they have the talent, with coachin

Have kicked plenty balls in my time. I didn't know Paolo Maldini posted on a Scottish football forum.

11 hours ago, HoBNob said:

There's a pretty big role and difference between the two though. Ashcroft could absolutely play across the back three, but his ball progression isn't good enough to compliment the system. 

Aye, take this graph from twitter. 

20231227_011138.thumb.jpg.c27c7946723a129e73e9dc4c8e415761.jpg

Otoo is one of the most progressive ball carriers, while Fisher is in the quadrant for carriers and passers. On the opposite side Benedictus is neither. If you had two players who were neither you'd find your build up play quite laboured, Edwards has no one in front of him, if he didn't have Otoo doing underlaps and showing for the ball he'd be taking on 2/3 men everytime. 

It's far to simplistic to say that because someone is a centre back then they can play all the different permutations of it, Otoo for me is at his best on the left side of a back three, but I'd far rather have him at centre midfield, cdm and as a left back before I'd have him playing as a centre back in a two. 

I'd like Ashcroft as a signing, but has he got it in him to play as a LCB or a RCB? Not sure. 

Yeah that's right, and that was mentioned when this was first brought up last week. Different roles and responsibilities and that's up to the management and players to decide what's right for our available personnel, and I agree that Ashcroft isn't a better ball carrier than Bene or Otoo etc. However, if we look at the original question of can Ashcroft play in a two or as a three then yes I think he could.

47 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Ideally for me I would try off loading Max Little and Harry Sharp, then look to bring in genuine competition/replacement for Mehmet. Not sure how realistic that would be in the January window but certainly business I would like to see soon.

I think another CB. It not only effects our defence when we lose a CB to injury, but it effects our midfield options too.

Again, not sure how easy it is to get a goalscorer at this time of year but clearly need somebody who's more effective infront of goal that our current options. The amount of good chances we miss is ridiculous. McPake has even highlighted the difference a Brian Graham would make with the desire to get on the end of crosses. Our guys don't to have either the ability to finish or knack of being in the right place. Wighton probably the best at finishing but games pass him by too much when he starts.

Yeah I'd like to see us not renew Sharps loan, get Little a loan and bring in someone who'll want to be #1. In reality, I could totally see us renewing Sharp's loan and finishing the season with the same three keepers in the match day squad

If the squad is fit then I'm fairly happy at the back and midfield. Would love a striker who's a big more physical but is experienced and knows where the goal is but I suppose hundreds of teams are looking for the same thing. After reading yesterday's interview I can't see any prayers being answered early in the window if at all.

Any news on Hammy and McCann? 

I cant see a club if our level finding a goalie in January to compete for the spot. Certainly not anyone better than Mehmet, happy to be proven wrong.

McPake might decide to just go with him as a sign of confidence in the hope that helps. Especially if there's limited scope for wages (purely hypothetical). 

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I cant see a club if our level finding a goalie in January to compete for the spot. Certainly not anyone better than Mehmet, happy to be proven wrong.

McPake might decide to just go with him as a sign of confidence in the hope that helps. Especially if there's limited scope for wages (purely hypothetical). 

We did bring in the Poly Goalie from Leicester, he was playing at Anfield earlier in the season so he's probably no coming back though. 

7 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

. However, if we look at the original question of can Ashcroft play in a two or as a three then yes I think he could.

Aye but that's a bit simplistic IMO, Joe Chalmers could play as a right winger but I'd be fairly upset seing that in action. 

9 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

We did bring in the Poly Goalie from Leicester, he was playing at Anfield earlier in the season so he's probably no coming back though. 

Aye but that's a bit simplistic IMO, Joe Chalmers could play as a right winger but I'd be fairly upset seing that in action. 

I know what you're saying, but centre midfield and a winger are completely different positions, whereas playing as a two or three in centre defence aren't. Undoubtedly different responsibilities and tactics but your main role is still the same.

Just my opinion of course but I think a professional footballer who's a centre half should be able to play in a two or three and do their job well. Now I wouldn't want two 35 year old veterans playing as a two because they'd get exposed in behind, but when we're talking about professional athletes in their peak years I think it's doable.

I started typing this feeling I didn't want to see Joe Chalmers as a right winger, but if Joe Cardle could teach him the old cut inside, Chalmers cutting in on his left foot could be an asset... 🤣

I'm sure they are looking for a keeper and even if they can't get something sorted in January it's clearly a key area for the summer, as other have said it needs to be a first choice type keeper, I would still be delighted by Sneddon or Rae. The boy Blessing at Peterhead was ridiculously good in my football manager save so obviously we should just go for him.

Ashcroft or someone of his ilk would be good and maybe a young striker from one of the premiership sides that needs game time a penalty box poacher type striker would be ideal.

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

I'm sure they are looking for a keeper and even if they can't get something sorted in January it's clearly a key area for the summer, as other have said it needs to be a first choice type keeper, I would still be delighted by Sneddon or Rae. The boy Blessing at Peterhead was ridiculously good in my football manager save so obviously we should just go for him.

Ashcroft or someone of his ilk would be good and maybe a young striker from one of the premiership sides that needs game time a penalty box poacher type striker would be ideal.

Aye Josh Rae would probably be my first choice.

Sound like Chris Hamilton might be back for the Rovers game on Tuesday(getting a protective mask fitted) but will miss Saturday. McCann hamstring not too serious but just waiting for scan results to confirm when he can come back.

Fisher back and Bene done as much training as Fisher this week but has a bit of stiffness and they are being careful with him. Sounds like a place on the bench.

Edited by Chubbychops

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Aye Josh Rae would probably be my first choice.

Good shot stopper, but the guy seems to lose the plot every time he plays us, or in a big game, so I’m struggling to see why any of our fans would have him as number 1 target.

I’ve seen him 3 times:

4-3 game - should have got a second yellow, for handball outside the box.

next week at EEP - got sent off.

the other week at Airdrie (2-1 win) - came charging out with a wild challenge, nowhere near the ball. Thankfully didn’t make contact with Summers, as he flew in at knee height.

Based on the above - and the fact he got sent off v Falkirk in the playoffs, I’m not sure he can be considered reliable.

46 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Good shot stopper, but the guy seems to lose the plot every time he plays us, or in a big game, so I’m struggling to see why any of our fans would have him as number 1 target.

I’ve seen him 3 times:

4-3 game - should have got a second yellow, for handball outside the box.

next week at EEP - got sent off.

the other week at Airdrie (2-1 win) - came charging out with a wild challenge, nowhere near the ball. Thankfully didn’t make contact with Summers, as he flew in at knee height.

Based on the above - and the fact he got sent off v Falkirk in the playoffs, I’m not sure he can be considered reliable.

Aye maybe not. I says we should have let Mehmet go and sign Jamie Macdonald in the summer so recommending keeper signings might not be my strong point.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Sound like Chris Hamilton might be back for the Rovers game on Tuesday(getting a protective mask fitted) but will miss Saturday. McCann hamstring not too serious but just waiting for scan results to confirm when he can come back.

Fisher back and Bene done as much training as Fisher this week but has a bit of stiffness and they are being careful with him. Sounds like a place on the bench.

Aye fairly positive news there, was expecting Hammy could be involved if a mask was obtained but McCann sounded worse. Fortunately a chance both are involved for the Rovers game at least.

Mind when Lee Robinson signed right before the Falkirk game? Thought at the time he'd be an utter disgrace for us. That first 6 months he was unbeatable, especially his debut in that Falkirk game. 

Something like that until end of the season would be braw.