Walking Down The Halbeath Road

52 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

You'd like to think those who had concerns would either say "we had a meeting and the board allayed any fears we had", "we heard a few things we are still concerned about but will give the board time" or "we're going to try and buy these guys out". To hear nothing at all is a bit odd but it is what it is I guess.

I would say the fears have been satisfactorily quelled. I’m sure we would have heard if it wasn’t the case. 
I think it’s a good thing that there are people in a position to question the decision makers, and if they feel that action was needed they’d let the entire support know. 

I think I posted on here the morning after the meeting, I wasn’t there but work with a guy who does. We happened to pass each other in the office and I asked about the meeting. He kinda mentioned a few things like the training ground but in our 20-30 second interaction the main thing he said/I took away from it was that there’s a lot of incorrect scare mongering, the club are on a sound footing and the guys in charge/investors are as committed now as they’ve ever been, if not more. That’ll do for me. I’m sure there’ll be losses, what club aren’t posting losses apart from the ultra six million pies a week brigade. We’re building a training ground which has really kicked on and we’re coming round from the hangover of two managerial sackings and a year in league one.

Edited by The Toun Clock

5 minutes ago, parxyz said:

Will Xavier Benjamin be our first player who's first or last name starts with X? Or even the league's first player?

Davide Xausa played at this level when it was old division 1, he's the only one I can think of though.

3 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

There's making loses due to buying ready made players out of our financial means,  which is unacceptable. Like we did in the past.

Then there is making loses due to building an academy, getting rid of useless managers and putting a competent management team in place and getting good young prospects in the door on long term deals with fees paid and getting paid qualified people running our club day to day.

The loses we're about to announce are loses that were factored in by the board when they arrived. Maybe not having to pay off uselesss managers but fees paid on young players, who have turned out to be really good signings and may well be sold for much bigger fees. Then the costs of building the training ground will be in the accounts too as they will want to off cost that money for tax purposes. 850k the first phase is costing. 

The loses are not being covered by bank debt this time. It will be covered by money generated by the club and the back hipper of our owners(hopefully not soft loans). These loses will subside once the infrastucture is in place and we start making money off our investments in the future. We just have to go through a bit of financial pain at the beginning.

All current expenses that have been incurred are for the greater good of the clubs future.

Without wanting to bore you with accounting terminology, construction costs are generally capitalised and added to the balance sheet as an asset, rather than going through the profit & loss account as a cost. I’d be very surprised (and concerned) if the construction costs went through the profit & loss account in our financial statements.

Spoiler

*Stop reading now, if you don’t want the boring explanation*

If you’re interested in the boring explanation… The transaction would involve reducing the cash balance, but increasing non-current assets (both on balance sheet). That asset’s value is then depreciated over a number amount of years, so that the costs are spread over the lifespan of the asset . Depreciation is then what will go through the P&L over say 20 years, until the asset becomes worthless. This also means if the asset is sold, any profit/loss from the ‘fair value’ shown on the balance sheet is what is recognised in the P&L. If that’s not what they do, they’ve had some very poor advice and probably need to sack their accountants.

This is the same accounting treatment that Chelsea are using for player registrations, which is why their contracts for big signings are such long contracts. The ‘cost’ is being spread over 8/9 years.

Of course, this is before considering that no construction costs had been incurred prior to 31st May 2023, which is the period the accounts will cover. So they won’t be included anyway.

Legal costs, planning costs etc can go through the P&L, but that wouldn’t explain any losses to the scale that were being discussed/rumoured.

24 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Without wanting to bore you with accounting terminology, construction costs are generally capitalised and added to the balance sheet as an asset, rather than going through the profit & loss account as a cost. I’d be very surprised (and concerned) if the construction costs went through the profit & loss account in our financial statements.

Reveal hidden contents

*Stop reading now, if you don’t want the boring explanation*

If you’re interested in the boring explanation… The transaction would involve reducing the cash balance, but increasing non-current assets (both on balance sheet). That asset’s value is then depreciated over a number amount of years, so that the costs are spread over the lifespan of the asset . Depreciation is then what will go through the P&L over say 20 years, until the asset becomes worthless. This also means if the asset is sold, any profit/loss from the ‘fair value’ shown on the balance sheet is what is recognised in the P&L. If that’s not what they do, they’ve had some very poor advice and probably need to sack their accountants.

This is the same accounting treatment that Chelsea are using for player registrations, which is why their contracts for big signings are such long contracts. The ‘cost’ is being spread over 8/9 years.

Of course, this is before considering that no construction costs had been incurred prior to 31st May 2023, which is the period the accounts will cover. So they won’t be included anyway.

Legal costs, planning costs etc can go through the P&L, but that wouldn’t explain any losses to the scale that were being discussed/rumoured.

Cheers for taking the time on that explaination. Didn't have a scooby about the accounting for construction costs. Would've thought the purchase of the land would've been within that period.

Are we accepting McPake’s a fraud now? Same system/tactics every week. Doesn’t matter how we play, who we’re against or what players we have available. Exact same game plan. Makes it so easy for teams to prepare to play us and we’re seeing teams have an effective plan to beat us every week now. Pathetic.

When Grant and Hughes were doing this, they were (rightly) getting slated for it.

McPake really does need to change with his failing set-up.  Not bringing in experience is biting us on the arse too. Every man and their dug could see we needed a replacement for Bene but naw. We sign another couple of 20 year olds. 

The decision making at our club has been embarrassing for over a decade.

13 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

McPake really does need to change with his failing set-up.  Not bringing in experience is biting us on the arse too. Every man and their dug could see we needed a replacement for Bene but naw. We sign another couple of 20 year olds. 

The decision making at our club has been embarrassing for over a decade.

A bit over the top but do agree about McPake.

It's something Dundee fans said too about McPake being stubborn and it cost him his job. Questions need asked about him now as today's results is unacceptable and the run of late has been very concerning. Thought there were significant improvements last week, albeit with room for improvement, but seems that has disappeared today (thankfully not there today).

There is absolutely no chance McPake is in any sort of danger of losing his job btw. Some massive changes are needed though. 

Would like to hear the thoughts of the Germans and the Board on these past couple months and the job McPake has done this season. 

Just now, DAFC. said:

There is absolutely no chance McPake is in any sort of danger of losing his job btw. Some massive changes are needed though. 

Would like to hear the thoughts of the Germans and the Board on these past couple months and the job McPake has done this season. 

Germans and the board? They're part of the board.

Ever since AJ stuck M'Voto up front at Tannadice, this club has been constantly shooting itself in the foot. Fcking sick of the absolute gang of a team we're being served up at the moment, managed by a stubborn fool. 

I've defended pretty much everyone at the club until today. They can all GTF. If we somehow survive this season, wholesale changes need to be made to improve because THAT today proves that we're nowhere near what's required to even consider 4th play or above which should be a reasonable target.

If Walcott never plays for us again it'll be too soon. Or Chalmers, Wighton, McCann or Summers. 

I'm done with it until things improve. Sick of the completely unwatchable Pars TV and a team that barely get's over halfway unless we're behind. 

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Ever since AJ stuck M'Voto up front at Tannadice, this club has been constantly shooting itself in the foot. Fcking sick of the absolute gang of a team we're being served up at the moment, managed by a stubborn fool. 

I've defended pretty much everyone at the club until today. They can all GTF. If we somehow survive this season, wholesale changes need to be made to improve because THAT today proves that we're nowhere near what's required to even consider 4th play or above which should be a reasonable target.

If Walcott never plays for us again it'll be too soon. Or Chalmers, Wighton, McCann or Summers. 

I'm done with it until things improve. Sick of the completely unwatchable Pars TV and a team that barely get's over halfway unless we're behind. 

Can't really argue with much of that. We have been a shit watch for years. Last season we were obviously scudding teams and pumping Falkirk, but we should be with our budget. I cannot believe we are in the same situation as we were during the Grant/Hughes debacle, a mere 2 years later. It is frightening. The board have some serious questions to answer. Getting quite sick of being a Pars fan tbh. It's constant self-inflicted disasters. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

Getting quite sick of being a Pars fan tbh. It's constant self-inflicted disasters. 

Aye, no just bad luck now. There's fundamental issues with the leadership of the club. The delusional ''identity'' crap we come up with is embarrassing. We're not Barcelona we're an utter shyte second tier in Scotland club that has under achieved for years.

We need to get our heads in the real world and start getting back to basics like Morton always do. 

Hey Pars boys. 
Fighting relegation for the 2nd time in 2 years. How does that even happen to a humungous club like Dunfermline? 

Wheres the Nisbet dough?

Hows the training ground getting on?

Why can’t you sign anything but kids?

Are the Germans rinsing you from the inside?

Hows the mental gymnastics faring realising that romping the fisherman’s league doesn’t detract that McPake is inept, a fraud and not wanted by anyone else ?

We’re mince but will be playing Championship football next season, will you?

Quite a few posts saying you’ll hump us in the playoffs when finishing 4th 🤣🤣🤣

I don’t know why McPake was so willing to mix things up last year, but has no desire/intentions to change a system that isn’t working, when we’ve been absolutely terrible and everyone is finding us easy to play against.

Hard to know what’s going on. Are the board trying to force a system/identity on the team, or has McPake just not got the fight/desire to fix a team on a poor run? Seems mental that a manager will mix things up to extend an unbeaten/wining run, but will stick with the same stupid tactics every week when the team’s struggling. Either way, it needs sorted.

It’s feeling like we’re back to the Grant/Hughes era, where the manager is too stubborn to try and change things to get results. League table doesn’t look good and the longer we keep McPake and this failing system, the more likely we are to go down.

I couldn’t care less about that fair play nonsense we announced. I’m a football fan and I want to see my team win games. I’d rather win ugly, than lose/draw trying to play ‘pretty’ football. We’re in the Scottish championship ffs.

Also, we’ll never develop youngsters if we’re chucking them in like that and hanging them out to dry. Thats a massive flaw in this business model/signing policy. Players just won’t develop if we don’t have experienced pros on the park/training with them, to help them out. We also need to be able to rest guys, or give them time out the team, when they’re struggling. All we’re doing right now is destroying any confidence the young players might have had.

Anyway, I’m away to enjoy my Saturday evening. 

Aye his strength last year was to change the system and tactics. Could see after 5 minutes playing out from the back wasn't going to work today.

Oh well on to next week! Hopefully they learn from Morton doing the basics very well and absolutely roasting us.

This result now puts McPake in the firing line with fans now.

Our home form is disgraceful and we have two winnable home games in a row now. There will be shouts for his head if we don't win the next two.

He's now under massive pressure, and if Queens Park get a result akin to Morton's today, he should be gone. 

Sitting at home here with a fucking massive beamer on my face. Feel like I have played that match never mind being a fan of it. So embarrassing. And so many parallels to 2022. I'm away to get absolutely hammered. 

Edited by DAFC.