Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

Anyone watching the St Mirren game know the nature of Hamilton’s injury? 

Looked like he was caught on the ankle hopefully nothing too serious.

Wasnt too much between the teams given where we both finished last season. Sutherland and Young looked decent enough and can definitely put pressure on the starting players.

That was much better yesterday. We gave a decent account of ourselves against a premier team, and imo we  were the better team for large periods of the game. It was like the land of the giants in comparison to our players, and they were the ones fouling the most. Wotherspoon looked burnt out after about an hour and started fouling, but he looked a class above for that hour. I would have liked to have seen Chris Kane and him play on the same park, but Chris still isn’t in the squad for some reason? McCann looked better than I’ve seen for a while too., he worked his socks off and wasn’t bad at all. What can I say about Hammy? The only way they could deal with him was to kick and bully him, the guy is superb. Their goal came from an error via Bene, you don’t see many of them to be fair but that one was a howler. I also think Sutherland should feature heavily this season, and Young looks very capable as well. I also liked that wee left back trialist, he didn’t get on the ball much, but didn’t look too shabby when he did. I think Ngwenya will be decent for us as the season goes on, he looks like a good fit to the team. All in all I feel a wee bit more optimistic about the coming season after seeing that performance yesterday, and that optimism will grow if we can bring another couple of players in. 

Edited by Wacky

21 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Is Mochrie still training with you guys,  nothing happening at our end it seems to be a typical P and B rumour.

Not heard anything recently about him training with us. Rumours of us being after him was a good few months ago and no read anything since. 

We have Matty Todd, David Wotherpoon and young Andy Tod that play that role, so not sure we will go for Mochrie. I would say a box to box midfielder would be more useful to us,  as we have not replaced Paul Allan.

Lots of nice play yesterday but some of the decision making from Mehmet and defenders is appalling. Think defence could come good but still big question marks over goalkeeper IMO. 

Also quite clear why we don't score many goals. Shooting is horrific. Great that we created a lot of chances but generally, we failed to really test keeper other than one or two efforts. At least we created plenty, so hopefully quality of finishing improves. 

3 hours ago, Wacky said:

I would have liked to have seen Chris Kane and him play on the same park, but Chris still isn’t in the squad for some reason?

Didn’t the manager say he was ready for the league cup campaign now and didn’t need any more minutes in the friendlies 

I really don't get why football managers keep insisting on having players do things they are clearly not comfortable doing. Just watched the highlights there and we have Mehmet, Benedictus, Breen, Hamilton, arguably Fisher who can't take the ball in a tight space and do something other than let it rebound off them or kick it the way they are facing but McPake seems to want them to play out from the back. Playing out can work fine of you have the players to do it or if the other team doesn't really press you, but when the defenders and defensive midfielder can't do it and the other team press high it's a recipe for disaster. Even when we do beat the press, we don't quite have that speed of thought to get the ball into dangerous areas quickly enough. Glad that we created some chances but unless Kane is going to score 20 by himself then we're going to struggle as I can't see us keeping many clean sheets.

2 hours ago, AuldReekie said:

Lots of nice play yesterday but some of the decision making from Mehmet and defenders is appalling. Think defence could come good but still big question marks over goalkeeper IMO. 

I'm feeling slightly generous and saying that we were willing to take riskier decisions in playing out given it's a friendly, that should help develop our ability to play out (something we did well a few times) and also figure out just where the line is when we should just clear our lines.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I really don't get why football managers keep insisting on having players do things they are clearly not comfortable doing. Just watched the highlights there and we have Mehmet, Benedictus, Breen, Hamilton, arguably Fisher who can't take the ball in a tight space and do something other than let it rebound off them or kick it the way they are facing but McPake seems to want them to play out from the back. Playing out can work fine of you have the players to do it or if the other team doesn't really press you, but when the defenders and defensive midfielder can't do it and the other team press high it's a recipe for disaster. Even when we do beat the press, we don't quite have that speed of thought to get the ball into dangerous areas quickly enough. Glad that we created some chances but unless Kane is going to score 20 by himself then we're going to struggle as I can't see us keeping many clean sheets.

Didn't go to the game but just looked at the highlights there. Fukin embarrassing that we continued to play into the hands of our opposition like that. I really do wonder about McPake at times. Not just the manager, that lack of basic footballing ability from out defenders and goalkeeper to pass the ball 5-10 yards.

Mehmet is a complete disaster zone of a goalkeeper he just cocks up pretty much every game and seems like we can't do anything about it. That 3 year deal is one of the worst bits of business out club has ever done.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Didn’t the manager say he was ready for the league cup campaign now and didn’t need any more minutes in the friendlies 

I don’t know about this. Two guys I know were at the game yesterday too, and they were apparently told that Chris had “spat the dummy” because he wasn’t in the squad yesterday. 
I don’t know about this either,  I’m just repeating what I was told. 
My first question would have been “how do you know that?”

Edited by Wacky

4 minutes ago, Wacky said:

I don’t know about this. Two guys I know were at the game yesterday too, and they were apparently told that Chris had “spat the dummy” because he wasn’t in the squad yesterday. 
I don’t know about this either,  I’m just repeating what I was told. 

He was told at Cove that he wouldn’t be playing. So I seriously doubt he spat the dummy yesterday.
He also doesn’t strike me as the type to spit the dummy and he was in good spirits out on the pitch pre match. 

ETA this is the article so I presume the people who told you were winding you up. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/5029157/james-mcpake-chris-kane-wotherspoon-ngwenya-dunfermline/

Edited by 101