Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Livi are and were screwed anyway. He would get results, with awful football. Rather than losing, with awful football.

Like he got results with Hearts and Livingston? Or perhaps his last season at Raith?

He's a poor manager with absolutely no bottle, the way his bottle crashed in that title run in was spectacular.

Like he got results with Hearts and Livingston? Or perhaps his last season at Raith?

He's a poor manager with absolutely no bottle, the way his bottle crashed in that title run in was spectacular.

Proven track record in the seaside league though, had us playing attacking football.

Dont think anybody better would want the job. Would certainly do better than Potter.

"Don't think anybody better would want the job"

Aye, quite why any manager would want to take a team with vastly more resources than the rest of the division is certainly beyond me. To any manager with a bit of self belief I'd say the job would be fairly attractive.

Certainly there will be more attractive candidates than some diddy who's been a disaster in his last two posts, Johnson and Calderwood are two better managers for starters.

Away and take your love for McGlynn down to the junior ranks.

To be fair, he held his bottle pretty well in the run in with Ayr in 08/09, and he really isn't a poor manager - that he even got Rovers that close with the squad we had is a decent testiment to his coaching abilities (just don't let him f**k about with GK selections). His style ain't that pretty, sure - although he was more flexible than often given credit for and he was doing ok-ish with Livi in reduced circumstances before this season as well.

I agree. Was always impressed that Rovers competed with our side and led them for most of the season. We totally outspent them and I believe they were part time and full time. If anything they always looked fitter and more organised and it was a good counter to our footballing side with two wingers.

We simply couldn't handle their route one stuff or set pieces and if it wasn't for his crazy decision to drop McGurn they might have hung on.

I'd rather have seen 11 tough to beat cloggers this season than the utter failure on the park. Murray to an extent is still copying his formula at raith and he's doing ok.

To be honest I thought JJ would have set us up in a similar mould and have been very surprised to see a lightweight side under his stewardship.

Sometimes you just need to make the best of what you have and McGlynn always did that.

McGlynn is an old duffer. One good season (which he failed to win the league) with Raith Rovers playing chronic football into the bargain. He is not the kind of manager we should be looking at to take the club in a forward direction. Calderwood is past his sell by date as well.

Derek Adams and Allan Johnston are the best, most realistic shouts.

Sometimes you just need to make the best of what you have and McGlynn always did that.

Agree with this 100%. Not saying he'd be my preferred choice, but some of the criticism of McGlynn is harsh to say the least. If it hadn't been for BMMMH the Rovers would've won that league at a canter.

To be fair, he held his bottle pretty well in the run in with Ayr in 08/09, and he really isn't a poor manager - that he even got Rovers that close with the squad we had is a decent testiment to his coaching abilities (just don't let him f**k about with GK selections). His style ain't that pretty, sure - although he was more flexible than often given credit for and he was doing ok-ish with Livi in reduced circumstances before this season as well.

Ah right, so we should be appointing a manager based on his one success 6 years ago? Forgetting that he's been an abject failure since.

I think people are overstating how "bad" that Rovers squad was, in McGurn, Tade, Baird and a few others the nucleus of a good squad was there, he fucked up spectacularly in the winter transfer window though, spunking the budget on Smith was a fairly hilarious choice, only surpassed by playing Simmons at left mid and that diddy in goals in the Fife derby. He just simply isn't very good, he done pretty well that season but as soon as any expectation was on he crashed, quite spectacularly.

Agree with this 100%. Not saying he'd be my preferred choice, but some of the criticism of McGlynn is harsh to say the least. If it hadn't been for BMMMH the Rovers would've won that league at a canter.

It's quite justified tbh. Take away Tade and Raith wouldn't have been close. Unsurprisingly when you take away an influential player teams will probably play worse, what's your point?

Ah right, so we should be appointing a manager based on his one success 6 years ago? Forgetting that he's been an abject failure since.

I think people are overstating how "bad" that Rovers squad was, in McGurn, Tade, Baird and a few others the nucleus of a good squad was there, he fucked up spectacularly in the winter transfer window though, spunking the budget on Smith was a fairly hilarious choice, only surpassed by playing Simmons at left mid and that diddy in goals in the Fife derby. He just simply isn't very good, he done pretty well that season but as soon as any expectation was on he crashed, quite spectacularly.

It's quite justified tbh. Take away Tade and Raith wouldn't have been close. Unsurprisingly when you take away an influential player teams will probably play worse, what's your point?

What an angry young man you seem to be. My pretty obvious point was, his team ran us very very close that season & if it wasn't for Martin Hardie, they would've most certainly won promotion. Not that you'd noticed, through the rage.

I think the point is that in winning the league your currently in, in 08/09 importantly keeping us up the next year and dragging that team close to a league title (with only the addition of John Baird) counts as three years of relative success, the year after that was difficult, but he kept us up again (having lost Tade). Apart form a doomed spell at Hearts, he also had one middling season with Livi in the championship where they finished 6th despite having sold a lot of talent, and though he couldn't do much with Livi after that he's actually got a pretty solid record at championship level and a good one at league 1 level. I won't argue that the style can be quite industrial at times, but again that's a simplification - he did play attacking football when he could, importantly he knew how to build a defence.

As to the Rovers team in 09/10 - that was a compact defence and midfield with no real wingers, and no real pace outside the front two, it's astonishing they came as close as they did.

Edited by renton

What an angry young man you seem to be. My pretty obvious point was, his team ran us very very close that season & if it wasn't for Martin Hardie, they would've most certainly won promotion. Not that you'd noticed, through the rage.

I see, so your point was completely and utterly pointless.

Not that you'd have noticed, I can only assume you are also "in a rage".

Ross Forbes in today's Greenock Telegraph saying he feels Duffy is playing him in his best position - central midfield - and therefore getting the best from him. He says he feels that he was continually played out of position at Dunfermline and therefore did not do as well as he feels he could have. I thought he was regularly played at centre mid with the Pars - am I wrong?