Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Still one of my heroes and remember seeing the headline on ceefax/teletext about is death when I got home from school and put it on. Was saying on the pars forum that on the odd occassion I watch the old champions video these days from 96, the part about the death of Norrie still puts me in a sombre mood. My favourite memory is the goal he scored to start the comeback against Dundee at Dens 2-0 at half time he brought us back to life and I think if my memory is correct we went on to romp them 4-2 (was this game not just a month before his death?)

Theres chat of organising a minutes applause on Saturday on the forth minute (his shirt number) of the game which would be a great tribute

Yeah, that game against Dundee was in December 1995 and it put us top of the league. We were 2-0 down inside ten minutes, but Norrie, as he usually did, grabbed them by the scruff of the neck and led the comeback. He scored the first, Stewart Petrie equalised when the Dundee keeper cannoned a clearance off him before the Todalinho's overhead kick made it 3-2 at half time. Derek Fleming scored the 4th in the second half. That was Norrie's last goal for the Pars.

Lets get this right here, I never ever hated NM he was the pars Dan Urquart steadfast and Mr Reliable but never a "hate" figure........John fukin Watson on the other hand....sad and bizarre way to go...have had carbon monoxide monitors around my house since....this should be a lesson for everyone.

I find it quite emotional thinking back to that time, even though it's now been so long. I think most of us remember how we heard that news, for me it was my Dad coming up, obviously upset, telling me just before I went to school on the Tuesday morning.

And when it came back to football and the Clydebank game, the emotion of the day was incredible. I cried during the minute's silence. What sticks with me most though is the roar that went round the terracing when Clydebank equalised with 5 minutes left (making it 3-3 after we'd been 3-0 up). I can't really describe it properly, it was different from normal and it felt immensely powerful for some reason. Thankfully there was a fitting end, and yet more emotional outpouring, when Craig Robertson scored the winner pretty much straight from the restart.

Lets get this right here, I never ever hated NM he was the pars Dan Urquart steadfast and Mr Reliable but never a "hate" figure........John fukin Watson on the other hand....sad and bizarre way to go...have had carbon monoxide monitors around my house

since....this should be a lesson for everyone.

Agreed re Norrie, never a hate figure unlike that ginger hoor Watson.

Donald Urquhart.......I loved big Dan.

Info for the minutes applause (lifted from .net)

Things seem to be progressing along nicely for this. Just spoke to Kenny (the stadium manager) and the signal for the start will come from Sammy and the ball boys. Kenny will organise Sammy getting involved to spark the minutes applause and a signal will be given to the ball boys to start to wave their flags they bring out at the start of the game as well throughout so if everything goes smoothly then we should have a clear signal for the start. We decided to stick with the minutes applause just now, although if it naturally progresses longer than this and I more than happy to join in.

I am going down to the ground on Saturday to put some posters up on the turnstiles to make people aware whats going on. Depending on the number of posters I get I might be able to hand some out before the game too.

More info on Pars alive and will keep people updated with any further info via the thread on .net. I have attached a first draft of the posters (still need to sort out the spelling etc I was in a bit of a rush when making this, should all be sorted for Saturday) for the game that will be on the turnstiles, I will also add in the plans involving Sammy and the ball boys by then.

scan.pdf 2.pdf

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

I remember half the boys in my P7 class (the Pars fans anyway) coming into schools crying that day as the story made its way around. One boy (a ***) got a kicking at breaktime for some gas-related joke he made.

I thought it all happened in the cottage which you pass heading out to Crossford at the bottom of the steepish hill. True or a load of old tosh?

Edited by Hedgecutter

I thought it all happened in the cottage which you pass heading out to Crossford at the bottom of the steepish hill. True or a load of old tosh?

That was where Norrie lived - if I remember correctly, there's a row of 3 or 4 cottages in there.

Just to touch on Socks' post about the Clydebank game - I remember that it was eerily quiet during the warm up and Dick Campbell was urging the crowd to make some noise, which worked - but only momentarily. I'll never forget the minute's silence either. My dad used to stand at the cage with his mates and I was always down at the front, but I remember well the sight of grown, hardened men crying as that was taking place. Had I been older, I would have too in all probability. The sight of the Bankies players all running across to the home terraces and applauding the Pars fans is something that will always live on in my memory - a really touching gesture from them who obviously found it hard that day as well, especially after they'd had to cope with the loss of Davie Cooper not long previously.

Watching Robbo's net buster to win the game, and the aforementioned roar and singing of the crowd after Clydebank equalised just before it, still gives me goosebumps yet. Looking back, I was exceptionally proud of the team, club and to be a Dunfermline Athletic supporter that day.

Board statement on the OS says that 90% of staff salaries have been paid up-to-date and the rest will be by Monday. Looks like we're going to keep struggling on for now at least.

Wish the club would use the social networks more to try and get fans through the gate. I follow the club on Facebook and Twitter, I should be getting annoyed at how often they try to convince me to come along to the Airdrie game.

A home game against Hamilton near the end of the season (which we'll lose 3-1), Morton challenging for the title, away to the pre-season title favourites 2nd last game of the season and home to Airdrie on the last game of the season. Sound familiar?

A home game against Hamilton near the end of the season (which we'll lose 3-1), Morton challenging for the title, away to the pre-season title favourites 2nd last game of the season and home to Airdrie on the last game of the season. Sound familiar?

I think that's just clutching at straws tbh. I confidently predict we won't win the league.