Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

There is

Looks like your bog standard stop the counter attack yellow card.  What's the fuss about? 

This was posted earlier in the thread, along with reaction from posters.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

This was posted earlier in the thread, along with reaction from posters.

Yeah I didn't see it at the time and was correcting myself.  

11 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

A standard stop the counter yellow is a shirt pull or a clip of the heels/trips.    it isn't launching yourself full pelt at a player knee high, all murray needed to do is delay a second and do the normal challenge,  he instead chooses the option that can result in injury, that got to receive more punishment. 

You sure it wasn't head hight? Give it time and he might have taken a dive off the roof of the stand. 

That's the sort of cynical challenge /tactical foul I think should be a red card but I don't think it is classed as excessive force under the current laws and yellow was the correct decision.

This article explains my view on it more succinctly than I can with the author replying to counter arguments in twitter thread below

Edited by Fuctifano

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

You sure it wasn't head hight? Give it time and he might have taken a dive off the roof of the stand. 

image.png.5e1b00e61693716419a239932e7256f9.png

No, of course that's not knee high,  I must have ridiculously exaggerating. there's probably not even contact

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

That's the sort of cynical challenge /tactical foul I think should be a red card but I don't think it is classed as excessive force under the current laws and yellow was the correct decision.

This article explains my view on it more succinctly than I can with the author replying to counter arguments in twitter thread below

The argument here isn't over it being cynical/deliberate,   take one for the team fouls are a common occurrence and baring rare articles like this are generally accepted as part of football, the question is if Murray did or didn't commit serious foul play.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Raith fan says no, Ayr fan says yes!!

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play

Lunging from the side, excessive force and endangering an opponent? Yes to all 3 so I'd have given a red card.

Correct. 

Red card every time I see it.  Dangerous and out of control.

30 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

The chat on this is 5 years old, laws of the game have moved on a fair bit since 2018.  It is absolutely a red card.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

If that's not a red let's fucking give it all up.

Weren't there a couple of examples last season....Thinking Lundstram for Rangers and someone either for/against Spurs off the top of my head who did see red cards for these types of challenges, only for VAR to overturn them? Not sure it's as cut and dry as some on here are saying. 

Serious foul play

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

That challenge is a textbook example of excessive force, and endangered the safety of his opponent.  

Serious foul play is penalised with a red card.

Red or yellow yellow or red some good points but for me never a red it's a yellow. I would be disappointed if one of our players was sent off for this challenge

Edited by JPB16

I think it's a "strong yellow". You'll sometimes see a red given bit more often a yellow. A red if it stops a Rangers counter attack for example. The only argument really is if there is excessive force and while it is incredibly cynical, high and nowhere near the ball, sadly the current laws of the game don't mention those things so the ref is justified giving a yellow.

I don't know if excessive force can depend on the location but for me it was excessive force to be flying in like that where he did.

Just the handball to see and then we can move on to Tuesdays game 😅

Think by the laws of the game its a yellow. But as others have said, in my opinion those sort of tackles where there's no attempt to play the ball and there's some sort of lunge should probably warrant a more severe punishment than your usual 'take one for the team' pull backs etc. An orange card perhaps.

I know it doesn't work like this, but anywhere else on the pitch that tackle is a yellow, counter attack or not. The fact McCann is breaking away should be considered an aggravating factor, as it is its own yellow offence.

Really could've gone either way but no point wetting ourselves over it now I suppose.

P.S. echo what others have said re Tod Jr. Need to get him tied up because I can certainly imagine there'll be interest if he performs like that in the league.

Just a yellow for me as well, which was my initial reaction looking at it live. A cynical, tactical foul but not dangerous. Hamilton needs to spend less time chatting to refs, he gets too many yellows for dissent, that was probably why he was hooked at half time and we miss his bite in the middle.