Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

I think Raith have reason to be chirpy - they've made some positive signings and off the field things sound as good as it's been for them in a long time. That being said, I think they'll aim top four and kick about mid table most of the season. Hamilton and Byrne are signings I'd have taken, not sure about the rest. Vaughan and Gullan spend a lot of time in the physio's room. A potential front three of Hamilton, Vaughan and Gullan sounds good, potent etc but how often will they all play, we'll need to see.

Nobody would be happier for them than me (this is totally untrue) if they have a great season. 

Aye, they're just good fifers who happened to grow up in a worst part of Fife.

In football there's a bit of one upmanship with regards to teams trying to make out they hate each other more which is just a bit odd. I love the games against Raith, honestly my favourite game following the Pars but I don't hate them. There fans are by a huge majority decent people. Love bending it up them, doesn't and shouldn't equate to hate. 

I can understand Raith fans being optimistic about the season ahead. There must be a relief and excitement, with new ownership and a lot of new players. I also think Murray’s a pretty decent manager. He’ll be a tougher opponent for us than McGlynn was anyway.

From our perspective, there’s a long way to go in the window. A lot can change in a few weeks and I’d be expecting 2/3 new faces in before the end of August and maybe 1/2 in September. Likewise, we have KRH hopefully returning this month and Todd will feel like a new signing once he’s back in a couple of months. If it weren’t for the 3 major injuries we’ve had, I think we’d be talking about a fairly decent window so far and just needing a striker and a creative midfielder. But we haven’t responded to the KRH/Todd injuries by bringing in players who are ready to perform now, which is disappointing. 

We are clearly prioritising the attacking areas of the park right now. We may have enquired about Byrne at some point, but with the Wotherspoon saga and now the interest in Summers, it seems obvious that we’re looking for attacking players as a matter of priority. I’d imagine we’re actively looking for a striker as well.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Also, noticed in McPake’s pre-match presser, he confirmed we offered contracts to two free agents. One knocked us back, one hasn’t accepted yet. Maybe we did offer Fletcher a deal after all.

That can't be right. 'The Germans' never want to sign a player ever again.

Find it odd that Wotherspoon is still training with us but hasn’t said yes or no to the offer. Shit or get off the pan.

McPake confirming they had one target knock them back would seem to confirm we were in for Byrne.

Saying he’d be happy with the squad as it is if three injured lads were available is kinda scary.

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Find it odd that Wotherspoon is still training with us but hasn’t said yes or no to the offer. Shit or get off the pan.

McPake confirming they had one target knock them back would seem to confirm we were in for Byrne.

Saying he’d be happy with the squad as it is if three injured lads were available is kinda scary.

Byrne wasn’t a free agent though?

”it does not concern me that time is running out in terms of the window shutting because those two are free agents so can do that whenever.”

I don’t think we’d be as far off as a lot of people seem to be claiming, if KRH and Todd were fit. But we’d definitely need 2/3 bodies in. A striker would be a priority in that scenario though.

1 minute ago, CallumPar said:

Byrne wasn’t a free agent though?

”it does not concern me that time is running out in terms of the window shutting because those two are free agents so can do that whenever.”

I don’t think we’d be as far off as a lot of people seem to be claiming, if KRH and Todd were fit. But we’d definitely need 2/3 bodies in. A striker would be a priority in that scenario though.

Ah, skim read so didn’t read the bit about free agents tbf.

We lost 3 players from last season’s squad and at a push we have replaced one of them (MOH for O’Hara). Bad times when you can’t fill a bench and still have 2/3 guys that you know aren’t coming on.

5 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I get the feeling over Wotherspoon, but I suppose McPake wants to sign him, so we’re leaving the door open that little bit longer, it might pay off it might not.

I might be wrong but I think McPake said the contracts offered were to two free agents. So DW will 100% be one of them but not Byrne if he’s telling the truth.

Aye if Matty, KRH and Deniz were all fighting fit I’d be very underwhelmed with the squad. A good squad, full of fight and spirit but virtually the same squad from last season apart from MOH. I understand he’d be happy with it, but it would 100% need more firepower.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Was it not said that McPake will 'assess' the Wotherspoon situation at the end of the week?

Not in his Thursday interview on COWs but I did read that somewhere else. FWIW I don’t think it’ll be a case if we won’t sign Summer until we know about Wotherspoon, ideally I think we get them both.

He did say this - 

James confirmed that former St Johnstone midfielder David Wotherspoon is still training with Dunfermline and commented on the offer that had been made to the 33 year old:-

“We believe that we put in a fair offer for what our football club can do. David is an international footballer, who most recently played in the Gold Cup and not so long ago was at the World Cup so he is quite right to explore his options. What we can’t do is wait about.

“As much as you have got targets and offers to people there are always other targets. We know that we need to get good quality into the squad but we also don’t want to be reckless with it.”

So that would give the impression he’ll be speaking to DW soon for some answers.

4 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

We lost 3 players from last season’s squad and at a push we have replaced one of them (MOH for O’Hara). Bad times when you can’t fill a bench and still have 2/3 guys that you know aren’t coming on.

We’ve also added depth in defence (never had Fisher and Otoo at the same time last season). But agree we need to add options. I said earlier today that I’d be expecting 2/3 in August, then another 1/2 loans in September.

Regarding Wotherspoon, we have nothing to lose by leaving the contract on the table until/unless we get someone signed up for that role in the squad. It’s not like we’ve offered him a deal and are ignoring all other options until we have a definite answer.

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Regarding Wotherspoon, we have nothing to lose by leaving the contract on the table until/unless we get someone signed up for that role in the squad. It’s not like we’ve offered him a deal and are ignoring all other options until we have a definite answer.

Still need to set a deadline on it. Budgets will be tight and Wotherspoon won’t come cheap.

Other options may not be viable if he’s signing up.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Also, noticed in McPake’s pre-match presser, he confirmed we offered contracts to two free agents. One knocked us back, one hasn’t accepted yet. Maybe we did offer Fletcher a deal after all.

Aye, there were a few rumblings that we had genuinely offered Fletcher a deal but he knocked it back, shy Bairns don't get any sweets etc. 

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I had MOH replacing Mahon, in terms of pacy player who can play wide. 

Splitting hairs with that though I suppose!