Walking Down The Halbeath Road

There were concerns around our play last season but it was incredibly effective, record settingly so, and so McPake absolutely deserved a chance in the Championship. We started out quite well I thought and were competitive in most games in the first quarter. Then we fell away bit by bit, with the odd good performance and result mixed in, but since we beat Airdrie last time our performance levels have been dropping (with a couple of exceptions) and our results have plummeted. We're in free fall and McPake is stubbornly clinging to his favoured formation and style of play. 

There are Dundee fans who have posted in this thread saying that he did the same when with them. McPake needs to change things very soon or he needs to go. 

As an aside, how pish is the official club website for trying to find past results?!

What I don't get is that last season McPake would often change things when we were toiling. We'd get to half time 0-0 or worse, then there would be a positional change, a change of system, a more direct approach, something. Now it just seems like he refuses to change anything just to be stubborn. 

That's the McPake Dundee fans have alluded to so frequently. He isn't innocent whatsoever in all this, but it's the whole set up of the club that stinks right now. We must be one of the worst run clubs in Scotland. Piss up in brewery springs to mind. 

Why are folk acting like the board (which isn't just 'The Germans'* by the way) are not 'revealing' their plans/intentions when there are numerous interviews and articles as well as a presentation about them?

Said plan is open to debate on how effective or otherwise it is, but the board aren't being shady on their plans/intentions and I don't understand why anyone thinks otherwise. The plan/intentions/strategy this season is the exact same as it was last season yet there wasn't much about how it then.

It surely isn't as simple as 'pish team means 'The Germans' are shady as f**k and are at it/SOMETHING STINKS!!!!!!' and 'successful team means 'The Germans*;' have good intentions' does it? As that would speak very poorly of those who may hold such views (which, again, I mean around intentions/plans and not current results/effectiveness; it could be that the plan doesn't pan out and won't be effective, it could be that it is mildly effective for a bit, it could be that it is effective for a decade or anything along that spectrum).

* Not all of which are German.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Is there though? 

Mehmet and Little - not sure they are Championship quality.

Breen, Fagan-Walcott, Benjamin - not sure they are Championship quality.

Allan, Chalmers - not sure they are Championship quality.

McCann, Wighton - jury out but the foreman is about to knock on the judge's door with a verdict. 

That really only leaves Benedictus, Otoo, Hamilton, Comrie, Edwards, Todd, Moffat, Summers, O'Halloran and Jakubiak who look like they might have the required quality, and of those Benedictus and Todd could be out til God knows when, Moffat and Summers have talent but have zero physicality and O'Halloran and Jakubiak can offer something going forward but aren't going to score many goals.

We can't keep clean sheets and we don't score enough goals. Not a good recipe.

The thing about 'Championship quality' is that it largely depends on who the manager is and whether he can get the best out of them.

Depending how you define our best 11, at least 9, arguably 10, of our best 11 made up the side that finished 21 points behind you last season, conceded 30 more goals and drew 2 and lost 2 against you. Plus 1 of the players that we signed who has added to the team was sitting on your bench for most of last season and was released having presumably been deemed not Championship quality. I'd have said the majority of our squad wasn't Championship standard during the summer but they've more than held their own, mainly due to good management.

Despite recent form I still think there will be twists and turns and we're certainly not out of it either so I'm not saying that we're anything special. But if I was on the Dunfermline board I'd be asking how a side that finished that far behind you, who still have basically the same team, have made up such ground.

It's alright everyone, McPake has said we won't get relegated in his post-match comments. Had me worried for a minute after that match!

Anyway, we 100% will go down unless something of biblical proportions changes. He said he is trying to bring 2 experienced players in. Probably be Cardle and someone else that is nowhere near good enough for this level. 

1 minute ago, DAFC. said:

It's alright everyone, McPake has said we won't get relegated in his post-match comments. Had me worried for a minute after that match!

Anyway, we 100% will go down unless something of biblical proportions changes. He said he is trying to bring 2 experienced players in. Probably be Cardle and someone else that is nowhere near good enough for this level. 

Please be Cardle.

26 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Please be Cardle.

I love Cardle and he is a club legend, but he would not improve this squad. 

McPake must be referring to signings rather than players like Bene coming back from injury. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Oh I'm pretty sure on this one and know I'm not alone.

We had lost the game today before it even started with these two numpties in central midfield. 

I am absolutely sick of seeing them stink up the park playing in a league they're not good enough for.

They both need dropped if we're to have any chance of staying up. Two new midfielders on loan are an absolute must.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What I don't get is that last season McPake would often change things when we were toiling. We'd get to half time 0-0 or worse, then there would be a positional change, a change of system, a more direct approach, something. Now it just seems like he refuses to change anything just to be stubborn. 

Do you physically have enough healthy players to change things up right now?

This is actually brutal to see, it’s literally like watching a plane crash in slow motion. Is there any real prospect for returning players who might help reverse the nosedive?

8 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I love Cardle and he is a club legend, but he would not improve this squad. 

McPake must be referring to signings rather than players like Bene coming back from injury. 

Nah disagree, he'd definitely improve the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Cardle relegating you would be just lovely.

How would he do that? Score a load of own goals?

2 minutes ago, Parscelona said:

We had lost the game today before it even started with these two numpties in central midfield. 

I am absolutely sick of seeing them stink up the park playing in a league they're not good enough for.

They both need dropped if we're to have any chance of staying up. Two new midfielders on loan are an absolute must.

Aye centre of midfield is a huge issue. Hamilton and Otoo would be a huge upgrade but due to all the injured defenders they can't play there, but also McPake seems to be stubborn enough to continue with Chalmers anyway, and will play Allan often as well. 

They simply aren't good enough to be starting in such a key area of the pitch. Maybe either could be ok to come on later in a match alongside others, or maybe even they could, individually, fit in to a style of play of another team, but in out team with out style they aren't of the required standard.

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Do you physically have enough healthy players to change things up right now?

This is actually brutal to see, it’s literally like watching a plane crash in slow motion. Is there any real prospect for returning players who might help reverse the nosedive?

Settle doon.

He'll probably get next week as a stay of execution but genuinely don't see a way back for McPake unfortunately. I do think he's been dealt a bad hand this season and don't believe we'd be in this position if the core of the team had avoided injury. 

But we cannot ignore the facts. Teams around us have clearly improved while we have significantly regressed. Every team looks fitter and sharper, play with a better tempo, more intensity. I don't buy any excuse that players are tired... core first team players would still play every game if we were playing well. McCann looks burst after 30 minutes, Allan is chasing shadows, Summers, for as good as he technically, ambles about the park like a player twice his age. 

Tactically, the midfield didn't look like they knew what they were doing or who they were picking up. The entire team sits about 20 yards too deep with minimal pressure. We got found out playing out from the back last week, so this week we lumped everything aimlessly high and long. Utterly incoherent. 

I think there's now too much damage and rot, that I don't think this management team can turn it around. They'll likely get next week but after that, we're back into the tougher games and there's almost no chance we'll be picking up points without a pretty fundamental reset. 

On the playing front, I've seen enough of Allan, Wighton and McCann at least. Chalmers, Jakubiak, Summers, Moffat all on borrowed time. Walcott and Benjamin pretty unconvincing so far. As much as I give MOH a hard time he's at least looking like he's trying but really, I don't think he's what we need. 

I've seen a lot of these players play better. Much better. Something has to give. They are regressing alarmingly quickly under McPake now and it's not acceptable to keep doing the same thing week after week. If change doesn't come this week, it's likely coming soon.