Walking Down The Halbeath Road

http://www.dafc.co.uk/story.php?t=Another_Player_in&ID=8290

ANOTHER PLAYER IN

Thursday, 19th Feb 2015

Lewis Allan has joined Dunfermline on loan from Hibs.

LEWIS_ALLAN_HIBS_JULY_2014_6023.jpg

He was born in Melrose and started at Earlston Rhymers Boys’ Club. The 6ft 2in forward has travelled to train with Hibs since the age of eight and when he took a bit of time out of football his mother Sandra and father, Craig, who was on Rangers’ books as a youngster himself, kept him motivated..

The 18 year old striker Lewis, attended Earlston High School and studied for a diploma in sport at Borders College. He also joined a local athletics group in Melrose so was in the gym two or three nights a week. Lewis wanted to work hard to achieve his goals to be strong and look after himself.

Evidence of success came when named East of Scotland League’s player of the year after scoring 15 goals in the league and 21 overall. This clinched him a two-year deal at Hibs and has since featured regularly in Alan Stubbs’ first- team squad, making his debut against Falkirk on 6th December last year.

I disagree. Urquhart and O'Kane are two young centre half's who are learning their trade with us. Urquhart done fine last week for the 60 or so minutes he had on the park. Urquhart was poor in the SC replay vs Stranraer but he wasn't fully fit and was basically thrown into the team after a few weeks out. Apart from that, he's done OK in the rest of his first team appearances.

I'm a little surprised Lewis Allan is only on loan till the end of March, but hopefully he does well and we can extend the loan till the end of the season.

Yeah, Urquhart was partly at fault for the second goal last week, I agree. I don't think he's a write off though. He's another player who has potential. We have to remember he's only 19 and played very few first team matches in his career, so mistakes are expected. Of course, I'd much rather Buchanan and Martin was fit and available, but I am comfortable with Urquhart being a squad player as he isn't the worst back up to have, IMO. We also have Millen, McAusland and Paterson who can cover CB if required, so plenty options to choose from.

What positions and players are definite starters?

Scully, Buchanan, Williamson and maybe Moffat?

Whittle seems to be the best left back.

Martin seems to be the first choice to partner Buchanan. I'm not sure about him but he's probably the best we have?

Defensive midfield, looks like we have four players capable. McAusland, taxi Thommo, Spence and Geggan.

Would say three have plus points but also have something to prove. Spence has been the most consistent player in this position IMO.

Attacking midfield, Bryne, Falkingham, taxi Thommo, Geggan.

Think Falkingham is the best option here, best all-round player out of that lot. He's wasted out wide.

Wide attacking players

Hopkins, George, fais, stirling

Unsure about all of them, looks like George is the best on the ball, fais is decent but inexperienced and naive at times, stirling seems out of favour, Hopkins played well in one game then fell away in the next.

Strikers

Moffat, our best attacker IMO. Poor goals scored record but often the most intelligent player we have and sets up others well. A certain starter IMO.

Barrowman, not sure about him. As a target man he seems a bit ineffective but has scored and maybe lacking fitness so worth a shot.

Smith, he's ok. TBH I can't see him making it at the pars as the main striker. A decent sub to bring on and chase down a defence.

Fais, as above. Blows hot and cold, a bit lightweight for upfront.

Allan, seems to be highly rated. Bit risky trying him as a starter against forfar?

Wallace, could be struggling to make it back in time. Shame think he's a great player.

Scully Martin and Buchanan are certainties.

Not seen Paterson play yet so can't really say but whittle is a good player, right back again I don't know, haven't seen geggan in the last couple of games so can only judge him by the past and he has been poor there, millen is harshly treated IMO but even so isn't a certainty Williamson is only just back from injury but probably will play most of the games now when back to full fitness.

If were playing a defensive mid either mcAusland or spence are good options, falkingham or geggan can do a ok job but not ideal, Thomson is a terrible option, yea he's strong but severely lacks the more important requirements for that position, positional sense and concentration.

Going forwards probably any of our Center mids are capable, Thomson is probably the only one who plays best specifically in that role, the rest are better more box to box. Out wide I've not seen the new guys so it's not fair to judge.

Up front both barrowman and Moffat are intelligent players, but lacking form(especially Moffat) regardless there probably likely to start the majorly of games as smith and faiss aren't putting enough pressure on them, Wallace is a certain starter when fit but that's a rarity, Allan obviously none of us have seen properly and can obviously change things.