Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Thought I'd share this extract from Rory Smith's article on ESPN. Thought some on here would like it:

A football club is not a stadium, or a kit or a badge. It is not a set of colours or a place. It is not a list of trophies won or managers employed or players signed. It is not the team, because the team always changes, every year, every month, every week. It is not the players, either: it is always strange to me to see one individual -- and there is no better example of this than John Terry, at this point in time -- win the loyalty of the crowd above the club itself. Players are transitory. They come and go, even legends. They must always say goodbye.

A club is not today. Today can be good, bad or indifferent. Today can bring glory and rich promise, or it can be full of frustration and fear. Fans are not consumers: they do not have the option of abandoning their club for a better, more successful option. They cannot abandon it because it is too expensive, or because its standards have slipped. Like your family, you are, essentially, stuck with it.

A club is more than all of those things. A club is a collective memory, passed down from fathers to sons, mothers to daughters, over years and decades and centuries. It is that memory that nourishes you when today offers little, and that inspires you when it promises much. A club is history and lore and often myth, not quite a religion but certainly a faith, unique to you but shared by others.

Is Alan Johnston right and realistic to predict 4th place is not beyond us next season?

Really depends who else we can sign. I thought from a good while back that Murdoch, BRE, Geggan and Cardle was the spine of a really decent Championship team. Just to see what sort of quality we can add to the front line. That wee Moroccan lad who scored all the goals in League One last season would be an ideal signing.  

We really should be aiming for a play-off spot. I imagine our budget will be around the same or greater than all the teams other than Hibs and United.

Look what Morton did with a team no where near what we had this season and with Jim Duffy.

Edited by adundeemonkey

I think you can work it out loser.

Can't imagine there's many people who have been successful teachers after just two years of studying in all honesty.

Continue to make a whopping c**t of yourself though, if it makes you happy.

I'm loving this

Ah yes, the "I made a complete c**t of myself but I'm going to pass it off as fishing."

Run along now, you racist scumbag.