Travelling to a German game

McLee

German Jag you seem to be up to speed on this thread with good advice so wondered if you can help me.

I want to take my 8yr old son to a German match maybe around Nov. this year or maybe March next year. Am i right in saying if I stay in Dusseldorf that I could easily take in a Saturday and Sunday game in a weekend without to much travel?

He really wants to go to Dortmund game maybe Schalke next on his list, whats chances of getting tickets for this, do I build his hopes up? If not what teams are more realistic in that area? What sort of prices are we talking for tickets?

The maps on these 3 page (can't get the maps to upload into this post), give an idea as to where everything is within the top 3 divisions:-

Bundesliga

BL2

3. Liga

Basing yourself in Düsseldorf it's easy enough to get to at least 2 or 3 games over a weekend. Also most matchday tickets include free local travel to and from the games.

As regards tickets for Dortmund, think you would be struggling unless willing to pay a hefty price on Viagogo. Ask Fudge, since I think he's been to most of the grounds in the Düsseldorf area. (I have a season ticket for Hannover 96, which makes it fairly easy to get tickets for the likes of Dortmund, Bayern etc.).

German Jag you seem to be up to speed on this thread with good advice so wondered if you can help me.

I want to take my 8yr old son to a German match maybe around Nov. this year or maybe March next year. Am i right in saying if I stay in Dusseldorf that I could easily take in a Saturday and Sunday game in a weekend without to much travel?

He really wants to go to Dortmund game maybe Schalke next on his list, whats chances of getting tickets for this, do I build his hopes up? If not what teams are more realistic in that area? What sort of prices are we talking for tickets?

Leverkusen and Gladbach are of a decent standard and are unlikely to sell out most home games.

In what may be an act of utter lunacy, we're thinking about ditching Schalke V Dortmund and instead making the 13 hour round trip to Rostock for Hansa Rostock V Duisburg. We've got a real soft spot for Duisburg and it would make an incredible away day.

Boomtown, you'll have to buy Schalke or Dortmund tickets via Seatwave or Viagogo. Even for games against Diddy teams you're looking at £70 + a ticket. Schalke V Dortmund tickets are currently at about £150 a ticket

Forgot to say. It's easy enough to get tickets for Gladbach, Leverkusen, Dusseldorf, Duisburg and Bochum either via their official sites or on the day of the game. Not sure if Koln will have sold out every game seeing as they're just back in the league

They're run by Lufthansa, so not some shady budget effort. They're who I always fly to Dusseldorf with and everything has always been spot on.

I'd suggest staying at the Ibis Dusseldorf hauptbahnhof. It joined onto the station. Ideal for getting too and from various games. Very reasonably priced too.

Going to Dusseldorf in October. Staying in the very hotel Fudge mentioned. Got tickets for Leverkusen v Schalke which should be good. If game days/ times work out, going to take in Duisburg v Dynamo Dresden as well. Will be weekend No 5 to Germany. Managed to see a good few games and while the football is often not brilliant (out with Bayern and Dortmund, German teams are distinctly ordinary), the whole match day thingy is great.

Edited by sydney

Myself and a few mates are looking to travel to Germany to watch a game in October and stay for the weekend. Would like a decent standard of football and a decent place for a booze up aswell. Any recommendations?

Flights to Munich and Berlin seem reasonably cheap as well as accommodation in either city.

I'll get these two jokes out of the way for you. "Oh a h*n wanting to travel to his homeland" and of course "because your team wont be in Europe/will be extinct next year".

Save your cash and go see Scotland do what some of us cant and maybe you will be there when your nation pulls of the odds again

Football is a great game full of shocks we have done it before who says we cant do it again and have a good night?

I know reality says we will get destroyed with there midfield but still you got to see them better than any club game

Were you only see one maybe two of these guys up close and you get to support your country if you all are Scottish

Forgot to say. It's easy enough to get tickets for Gladbach, Leverkusen, Dusseldorf, Duisburg and Bochum either via their official sites or on the day of the game. Not sure if Koln will have sold out every game seeing as they're just back in the league

Last question, in what order would you place these clubs for atmosphere at games and overall experience, including Dortmund and Schalke?

In what may be an act of utter lunacy, we're thinking about ditching Schalke V Dortmund and instead making the 13 hour round trip to Rostock for Hansa Rostock V Duisburg. We've got a real soft spot for Duisburg and it would make an incredible away day.

13 hours on a train to Rostock and back instead of watching one of the most glorified games in Germany between Schalke and Dortmund #awaydays

Appreciate the good intention and so on, but that is one long (and expensive) trip. Return saver tickets are ± €114. (I'd used Düsseldorf when checking the cost).

Don't forget it's a 2:00 pm kick-off in the 3.Liga instead of the usual 3:30 pm in the BL.

Appreciate the good intention and so on, but that is one long (and expensive) trip. Return saver tickets are ± €114. (I'd used Düsseldorf when checking the cost).

Don't forget it's a 2:00 pm kick-off in the 3.Liga instead of the usual 3:30 pm in the BL.

I'm seeing it as 158 Euros for 2 people return, leaving Dusseldorf at 6.33am and arriving Rostock at 12.52pm. Leaving Rostock at 5.05pm and arriving back in Dusseldorf just before midnight.

It's about £65 return each person, which isn't exactly cheap, but the alternative is paying well over £100 each for either Schalke v Dortmund or Koln v Bayern. It's a long trip, but I suspect we'd sleep til Hamburg, get a few cans at the station there for the remainder of the journey to Rostock, have a few in the ground and then another carry out for the way back. We'll probably pass out from drink and lack of sleep by about 8pm and get another couple of hours kip before we arrive back in Dusseldorf.

I'm fully aware that it makes aboslutely no sense, but it's something I've always wanted to do since I was at a Duisburg game a few years ago and saw a poster advertising some sort of football special to Cottbus that left at silly o'clock AM.

Last question, in what order would you place these clubs for atmosphere at games and overall experience, including Dortmund and Schalke?

I can honestly say I've enjoyed them all. In Scotland, at a game I'd be drinking before (which isn't very often any more) the routine is find a pub 2 minutes from the ground, drink, then saunter into the ground at 2.59pm.

It's comepletely different in Germany given that the done thing is to get into the ground early and that all the larger grounds are slightly out of town. I've always found my enjoyment of a ground has more to do withe the quality of the game itself rather than anything else. I've been lucky enough to see some absolute belters.

What i would say though is that the atmosphere at Dortmund was not as good as I expected. Perhaps that's because they were playing agains Augsburg and Freiburg respectively. I thought the atmosphere at Schalke was better. My only gripe about those ground was that they have a card system in place for buying food/drink in the stadium which was a bit of a hassle. Dortmund especially, as you bought a pint and paid a deposit for a cup. After you'd finished, you had to go to a kisok to return the cup and get your deposit refunded, before going to another kisok to get your refill. I'm sure it's probably quite simple but my only German is 'hello', 'goodbye' and 'x number of beers please'.

Leverkusen was enjoyable, but not too much to get excited about. If you sign up to their website you can buy tickets easily enough

I really liked Gladbach. We arrived at the main station,not really sure where to go and in seconds were on a complimentart bus which whisked you straight to the stadium. As I boareded th bus, a man heard my accent, asked where I was from and handed me a large can of lager. There's no card system in place and the queues for drink were ridiculously short. Last time I was there Marco Rues tore Koln apart in a 5-1 win, so it holds good memories.

There's nothing special about Duisburg but it's probably my favourite, I've been there 4 times and they've won every game. To many others, it's probably no better than Bochum but I've got a soft spot for them.

I've never actually been to Koln, or Dusseldorf, which is quite ridiculous. I think Koln have ususally been away and there has always been a 'bigger' game that clashes with Dusseldorf.

In short, you really can't go wrong.

Picked a weekend of March 13th, checked out games and Dortmund, Leverkusen & Mochengladback are all at home that week.

Flights coming in about £100 and 3 night in Dusseldorf about £120 so under £500 for me and the laddie, pretty sold on this so hopefully out of these 3 games 1 might be held on Sunday so we can get to a game on both Sat & Sun!

Good times ahead!!

Picked a weekend of March 13th, checked out games and Dortmund, Leverkusen & Mochengladback are all at home that week.

Flights coming in about £100 and 3 night in Dusseldorf about £120 so under £500 for me and the laddie, pretty sold on this so hopefully out of these 3 games 1 might be held on Sunday so we can get to a game on both Sat & Sun!

Good times ahead!!

Whether any of those teams are still in either the Champions or Europa league knock-out stages will determine the days for the games.

If any of them are in the last 16 of the Europa league, then their game will automatically be on the Sunday. (Last 16 first leg games are on Thursday 12th).