Video game music

Swampy

The score for GTA 5 by Tangerine Dream is particularly beautiful. Especially the piece for North Yankton and when your doing the skydiving.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think anyone's mentioned this yet, but Mass Effect has an extraordinary soundtrack, and was a mindblowing experience first time round. And it finishes with one last surprise, with this cracking tune laid over the credits. Seemed to sum up the journey travelled in the game remarkably well.

• 11 months later...

The intro to Ocarina of time always give me goosebumps. Super Mario 64 aswell has great music.

U.N Squadron had great arcade style soundtrack. Always ended up humming along to it

I loved that game, can't quite remember the music tho.

• 5 months later...

Bumped to add that Dead Island: Riptide has a superb soundtrack; listening to it on Youtube right now. Full of groaning bass, repetitive electro beats, and exotic instruments. Worthy of only the finest of zombie movies, and I see the composer was also responsible for The Witcher's soundtrack too. Someone needs to get that laddie some movie work.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the gears of war series soundtrack on my iPod, Steve jablonsky is the composer for it....notably he done transformers aswell

Looked him up as the name seemed familiar...think I was just mixing him up with Steve Meretzky of 'Leather Goddesses of Phobos' fame.

Did Michael Bay get that laddie's soundtracks in a bulk sale or something? Amazing how much of his shite he's ended up doing music for...virtually a whole career :blink:

Looked him up as the name seemed familiar...think I was just mixing him up with Steve Meretzky of 'Leather Goddesses of Phobos' fame.

Did Michael Bay get that laddie's soundtracks in a bulk sale or something? Amazing how much of his shite he's ended up doing music for...virtually a whole career :blink:

He seems to use 3 composers. Jablonsky, Zimmer and Rabin

Remarkable they got away with that in Resi 1, and that the game still gave everyone the shits. You could literally round up a bunch of P&B's regulars, liquor them up, and still get more believable performances than that.

...actually not a bad idea...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remarkable they got away with that in Resi 1, and that the game still gave everyone the shits. You could literally round up a bunch of P&B's regulars, liquor them up, and still get more believable performances than that.

...actually not a bad idea...

You do wonder if they played a blinder  - the game itself was so accomplished for the time that the terrible dialogue seemed jarring in comparison, but it'll always be remembered for it.

2 was the better game, but 1 was the more genuinely terrifying.

• 6 months later...

You can't overstate the awesomeness of the Mass Effect soundtrack. The wean had me play the nightclub themes from the various games a few nights back, and it's put me right back in the mood for pimping around Luna in the Mako, searching for the song of the Rachni.

I've been playing FTL again recently, and Ben Prunty's dynamic soundtrack is pretty brilliant. The music changes depending on the sector you're exploring, the type of enemy you're fighting, the ship you're piloting, etc. Does an excellent job of giving a different feel to a game that could have ended up being repetitive, and it remains a good listen even after an embarrassing amount of playtime.

Archived