What's your clubs like? Do you buy them?

I haven't bought 'The Killie Hippo' in years as I think it's poorly produced and quite immature at times. Credit has to go to the people who dedicate their time to them of course, but we could do better IMO.

If I remember rightly we used to have a magazine called 'Kissing the Squirrels' back in the day that was good.

There will be a new Killie Hippo to be launched at the start of the season.

Can you tell us what improvements you would like to see?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" and "One Step Beyond". both hilarious.

I started that.. None of the original contributers write for it now - not enough time. I still buy it, it's still excellant.

I briefly made one, with the help of a couple of friends, made one called "Penalty" - a reference to the fact we kept missing them. Did 6 issues, but wasn't financially viable, plus we used up too many articles in the spaces where the letters ought to have been ( no bugger wrote to us) .

There's a Store Where the Creatures Meet was one of the best ones around. Others I really liked were

Paper Roses

Mo Mo Super Mo (Montrose)

The Final Hurdle

AWOL (Meadowbank)

The Northern Light

Falkirk Unofficial

no idle talk

on a LSM

18 hours away from rotterdam

king of the kippax

final hurdle

ATB

jam piece

le chic

paper roses

and many others

AWOL was always one i tried to get as soon as it came out, the end of the 80's and the early 90's was the big time for many fanzines.

as a previous poster has stated fanzines have had their time, the internet has taken the protest again the running of your club, the taking the urine out of your rivals, the pub rumour that took a while to circulate from the local pub the the next area etc, the slating of players, basically you could class pie and bovril as the WSC (scotland version),

i can also mind going to SPS on Renfrew Street in glasgow to look through the selections they had of other teams, i had (think a few boxes are still at the parents) a wide range of fanzines from around the time

edit to add i have issues 5 and 6 of your zine

Got the Red Final a couple of times, sometimes a laugh as pointed out before it always boiled down to hating Rangers which can only be a good thing.

Many moons ago we had one called 'There's A Store Where The Creatures Meet' (from the Doors song Love St). It was excellent and I bought that instead of the program. However there aren't any now which is a pity as I liked the fanzines and would buy the opposition one at away games as well - usually a good and irreverent read. But we have P&B now :)

A great fanzine back in the day. Had many a chuckle reading it - sadly missed.

I started that.. None of the original contributers write for it now - not enough time. I still buy it, it's still excellant.

I prefer Waiting for the Great Leap Forward to One Step Beyond. Just a little more quality and better stories/features. Always buy it. Hope both are around for some time to come.....

I've got a pile of Red Finals at my flat and also at my parents. For a £1 you can't really complain. Chris Crighton is one of the few folk who write columns for Aberdeen Journals that is normally worth reading or actually understands the fans.

Didn't know GLF/OSB are still going... hope to pick them up when i come up the road next season.

The only ones i see regularly in England now are the Newcastle and Sunderland ones when i go up there.

There will be a new Killie Hippo to be launched at the start of the season.

Can you tell us what improvements you would like to see?

Like most others have said on here, the reason they bought a fanzine was for a bit of clever witty writing that the Hippo had started to edge away from the last few teams I've ever seen it. I personally think it was starting to get a bit more like 'let's slag everyone' instead of focusing primarily on Kilmarnock, which is what I really care about.

I think an "And elsewhere..." article, maybe one or two pages, summing up the other teams goings on in a slightly quirky and witty way would be a good way to cover other clubs, and then leave the rest of the fanzine to Kilmarnock F.C. That's just my opinion of course and I'm sure plenty would disagree with me of course smile.gif

Do many of you still have these? I've boxes of old Dundee programmes, not too many fanzines though.

Due to their variety, quantity and obviously contrasting commentary, I think it would be interesting to see how these differed from team to team, and over the years... wonder if there is an archive of these in existence anywhere?

If enough people were interested (and provided there isn't already one in existence) — I'd be happy to facilitate the idea of an online archive of fanzine covers, broken down into different teams, dated, etc. Would have to scan the covers yourself though.

Thoughts?

I prefer Waiting for the Great Leap Forward to One Step Beyond. Just a little more quality and better stories/features. Always buy it. Hope both are around for some time to come.....

I was one of the guys who started GLF...great fun back in the day :rolleyes: First tasks : interview Willie Pettigrew, then Nick Cusack :rolleyes:

There's A Store Where The Creatures Meet was great too......I mind we had a good bit of banter with those guys

I think a lot of the original Absolute Game writers went on to mainstream stuff, right?

I was one of the guys who started GLF...great fun back in the day :rolleyes: First tasks : interview Willie Pettigrew, then Nick Cusack :rolleyes:

There's A Store Where The Creatures Meet was great too......I mind we had a good bit of banter with those guys

I think a lot of the original Absolute Game writers went on to mainstream stuff, right?

I'm sure Stuart Bathgate who writes for Scotland on Sunday was one of the co-editors. Don't know what happened to Archie McGregor who was the main man behind it.

TAG was a great magazine which I always looked forward to getting.

:whistle

I'm sure Stuart Bathgate who writes for Scotland on Sunday was one of the co-editors. Don't know what happened to Archie McGregor who was the main man behind it.

TAG was a great magazine which I always looked forward to getting.

Archie writes match reports for the Sunday Times.

We'll I interviewed Ian St John :P

"Stevie Kirk - He'll get you in the goalies" was so bad it was brilliant - I can't remember what one that.

• 1 year later...

What's your clubs like? Do you buy them?

I haven't bought 'The Killie Hippo' in years as I think it's poorly produced and quite immature at times. Credit has to go to the people who dedicate their time to them of course, but we could do better IMO.

If I remember rightly we used to have a magazine called 'Kissing the Squirrels' back in the day that was good.

You could've put the money saved towards the dough you owe the Trust for appearing in the fans game. :1eye

Red Final is still on the go (get it delivered to the house for an annual cost of something like £5 which can't even cover costs)
Perhaps not the read it once was but still some good stuff in there, esp the cartoons and notes and quotes, while Merkies rambling essays (still using the smallest print possible) can be a bit more hit and miss.

Miss the Absolute Game, used to buy it from One Up (sadly now deceased) and avidly read it cover to cover on the bus back along deeside. Nothing has ever quite replaced it unfortunately.

Archived