Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Cicero Trilogy by Robert Harris. (Imperium, Lustrum, Dictator) Been a while since I've been as engrossed in a series. Robert Harris is always a good read and these are superb. Fantastic insight into the person and the times. Would highly recommend.

7 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It's not new, but have you read John Wyndham's The Day Of The Triffids?

One of my favourite books. I've read it at least 5 or 6 times. 

Or the Midwitch Cuckoos by the same author , or if we are looking at mid century classics  Neville Shute ‘s  “ on the Beach” 

1 hour ago, bishopburn boy said:

Or the Midwitch Cuckoos by the same author , or if we are looking at mid century classics  Neville Shute ‘s  “ on the Beach” 

Might give the film a watch tonight if I can find it. Younger posters won't realise that some of us grew up seeing it as very possible if not likely.

I’m going to take George Pelecanos’ The Night Gardener with me, had it in my shelf for years. Also taking Terry Hayes I Am Pilgrim, which has been gathering dust similarly.

Hopefully I get time to read, if I get into a rhythm with a book, especially if it’s crime fiction like Pekecanos I can really get through it quickly. Having the wee man has curtailed my reading for a few months, going to get back to it on this trip, hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Read a few good ones recently. One of the perks of being on holiday.

Yuval  Harari - Homo Deus. A thoughtful look at where our species stands and an imaginative look at where our species may be heading.

Not a cheery read but he argues his case well.

Blitzed- Drugs the 3rd Reich.

Absolutely fascinating read. Lot of stuff I'd never come across before and I'm a bit of a history buff.

I knew Hitler had a dodgy doc who kept him doped up but had no idea of the extent. He spent most of WW2 on a cocktail of steroids and then progressed onto opiates and coke. He was on speedballs til supplies dried up.

There was also an eye opener about the widespread use of methylamphetamine. The Panzer groups haring through Poland & France were basically on Crystal Meth 

17 hours ago, murphy1970 said:

Yuval  Harari - Homo Deus. A thoughtful look at where our species stands and an imaginative look at where our species may be heading.

Absolutely fascinating read. Lot of stuff I'd never come across before and I'm a bit of a history buff.

I knew Hitler had a dodgy doc who kept him doped up but had no idea of the extent. He spent most of WW2 on a cocktail of steroids and then progressed onto opiates and coke. He was on speedballs til supplies dried up.

There was also an eye opener about the widespread use of methylamphetamine. The Panzer groups haring through Poland & France were basically on Crystal Meth 

Yeah. I read that a couple of years ago. It did give one explanation for early German successes. 

I remember reading that Goering had a suitcase full of drugs when he surrendered to the Americans, opiates I think.

Read The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris for the first time in decades. I’ve always kind of dismissed it as Dan Brown for Grown Ups, but it’s actually really good. Much better than, say, the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.

• 2 weeks later...

Just today finished reading...  

'To Throw Away Unopened'   the second book by Viv Albertine, former guitarist in the band.., The Slits.    

A few months back, I read her first,   'Clothes, Clothes, Clothes.., Music, Music, Music......, Boys, Boys, Boys'.

That was a raw , and engrossing read, about her life in the band, and in later years, trying to have a baby. 

Throw Away Unopened is also hugely personal, and draws you in.  

Edited by beefybake

Sped through The Plot Against America, and was genuinely saddened when there was nothing left to read. One of the best things I’ve ever read. A Nazi sympathising celebrity becomes POTUS and chaos ensues. Philip Roth is everything I wanted John Updike to be.

On a vaguely similar note, I’ve bought All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, pretty much on a whim.

Sped through The Plot Against America, and was genuinely saddened when there was nothing left to read. One of the best things I’ve ever read. A Nazi sympathising celebrity becomes POTUS and chaos ensues. Philip Roth is everything I wanted John Updike to be.

On a vaguely similar note, I’ve bought All The Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy, pretty much on a whim.

I read it not too long ago and it really is fantastic. I love pretty much everything I've read by Philip Roth but in a post-Trump world Plot Against America really resonates.