Last Book You Read....

H_B

Tony Buzan is a very interesting man.

Should you not read a book about predicting golf events properly and not saying "game over" when really it isn't "game over" at all?

I shouldn't be bursting to the fact that I find you cropping up on every thread talking about this quite amusing, it will just encourage more of the same shite.

Are you bold enough to make a prediiction for Carnoustie Stu?

I shouldn't be bursting to the fact that I find you cropping up on every thread talking about this quite amusing, it will just encourage more of the same shite.

Are you bold enough to make a prediiction for Carnoustie Stu?

Jim Furyk will win it - "game over"

The Philosophy of Risk by Dougal Haston.

He was a Scots mountaineer and all round nutter that climbed Everest from a previously thought unclimbable route. The book is basically his diary ramblings and recollections from when he was a young kid. Still none the wiser as to what made him tick but a really good read. I vaguely remember either watching the attempt on Everest on TV in `76 or reading about it asa young kid and his name rang a bell when I saw the book.

He snuffed it in a skiing accident when he got caught in an avalanche and his scarf wrapped round his neck and choked him to death.

Allan Massie, "Arthur the King". Reasonable re-telling of Arthurian story. Much preferred the series of fictional historical memoirs on the Caesars, in the style of Graves' I, Claudius.

Currently reading , Moscow, 1941,about the Soviet defence of Moscow against the Germans, I also have Mr Nice on the go again, I'm always reading several books at once but often never finish them or take ages.

Saudi Babylon - Torture, corruption and cover up inside the house of Saud by Mark Hollingsworth with Sandy Mitchell

Sandy Mitchell worked and lived in Saudi Arabia with his wife and child and was wrongly imprisoned for almost 3 years after a spate of bombings carried out by Al Qaeda, tortured into signing a false confession and left to rot in jail he eventually managed to win enough support to make Britain look at his case. As Britain and Saudi were good allies and done a lot of business together the Government wouldn't speak out against his captors for fear of losing them as allies and more importantly losing millions of pounds on arms deals with them. He was eventually released but is still seeking compensation and still fighting to clear his name.

6/10

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Won't give much away here in case folk haven't finished but I thought it was a good way to end the series. Apart from the last chapter. People who have finished it will know what I mean.

It started off OK but then got a lot better towards the end. Shame it's over now. :(

The Last Town on Earth - Thomas Mullen

In the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 the small mill community of Commonwealth decides to impose reverse quarantine and post armed guards around the town to stop any potential outsiders entering. When a cold and starving soldier approaches, the guards have a decision to make.

A gripping read, it's really about the balance between individual conscience and collective responsibility. The town is built on a collectivist, democratic principle and seeks to protect this from the flu. Also, the local businessmen and law enforcement take a dim view of the towns percieved 'Red' status and draft dodging.

Persian Fire by Tom Holland.

A gripping historical narrative of the Persian Wars between the Greek cities and the Persian Empire, including the battles of Marathon and Thermopylae.

Changed history forever despite tremendous odds.

Finished Number Ten by Sue Townsend a few weeks ago, ending was utter gash and laughs were too few and far between - 5/10

For my personal study research though I re-read Adrian Mole (13 3/4) - now that is Townsend at her best 10/10

Currently reading Harry Potter in snatches. Up to about chapter 9 now.

Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy.

The story of a girl who has been released from a secure unit after 6 years. She killed her best friend when she was 11 years old. Her life as her new identity, the problems she has and the story of her childhood leading up to the day it happened.

Very interesting 8.5/10

Made me think of the Jamie Bulger killers. :(

Guest tomas_glasgow

harry potter=brillant and andy gray flat back four which was a bit outdated but still really good ,he's a football genuis that man,l think he would be a great manager.

harry potter=brillant and andy gray flat back four which was a bit outdated but still really good ,he's a football genuis that man,l think he would be a great manager.

If you say it Tomas, it must be true. <_<

Harry Potter = brilliant?

Naw.

Wouldn't you be distressed when he got Cho Chang? :o

Pies and Prejudice: In search of the North by Stuart Maconie.

This was in the travel section and is basically a tour around the North of England that Maconie remembers from his upbringing in Wigan. It's a good read, particularly if you like nostalgia. He's written it in a kind of a Northern Monkey Bill Bryson style, in that he's quite funny in his observations of the cultue around him.

I'd recommend this. 8/10

Pies and Prejudice: In search of the North by Stuart Maconie.

This was in the travel section and is basically a tour around the North of England that Maconie remembers from his upbringing in Wigan. It's a good read, particularly if you like nostalgia. He's written it in a kind of a Northern Monkey Bill Bryson style, in that he's quite funny in his observations of the cultue around him.

I'd recommend this. 8/10

You mentioned a while ago a book you read which made you hate Man Utd, what was it? I'd like to read it.

You mentioned a while ago a book you read which made you hate Man Utd, what was it? I'd like to read it.

I don't really need an excuse to hate them :lol:

Parklife by Nick Varley is a damning indictment of what television has done to the game, and it was written in the late 90's.

Read the unauthorised Biography of Alex Ferguson done by a popular broadsheet journo whose name escapes me for the moment, then wonder why the BBC didn't name him instead of Sam Allardyce as a suspected bung taker. :ph34r:

There's a book called Manchester United ruined my life by Colin Schindler. He's a City fan, but the book is quite admiring of Manure, and it's quite wooly and full of pointless multi-syllabic drivel just to pad it out. Not the best read.

There are a lot of great football books out there, but also some downright bandwagon jumping cash ins as well.

Guest Raeboy

Just back from Hols and read a few

Pointless - A Season with East Stirlingshire

Not too bad, interesting, possible more so as i am from falkirk and know a few Shire fans. 6/10

The Bretheren - John Grisham

Slightly different slant on the usual Grisham offering, quite enjoyable 8/10

I read a couple of others by the chap that wrote a Year in Provence, merely because thats where I was on Holiday - Encore Provence and another I can;t remember the name of (a Novel). Both readable but only Holiday type stuff.

Guest slider1874

Have just got Darkly Dreaming Dextor by Jeff Lindsay out the Library( will then get Dearly Devoted Dexter and then Dexter in the Dark)

Have watched the 1st season of the tv show snd it was brilliant so thought i'd give the book a try.

Edited by slider1874