Last Book You Read....

H_B

Anything by RLS cannot be recommended enough. He's done so much that people should read and haven't because they think they know the story, i.e. Jekyll & Hyde. Probably my favourite author.

Aye, I'll be having a look for some of his other books on the cheap. Starting to enjoy books, which is weird.

The Dirt

Just finished reading this book again for the umpteenth time. It describes the rock and roll antics of legendary hell raisers Motley Crue, as told by the band members themselves. Some eye popping stories involving such things as tubes of toothpaste. telephones and a particularly amusing incident with Ozzy Osbourne and some ants. And, of course, bass player Nikki Sixx dying after a heroin overdose, being brought back to life with a shot of adrenaline, and then breaking out of hospital and shooting up once more when arriving home. That's dedication for you.

There's no better rock and roll tale. Highly recommended if you like that sort of thing. Even if you think Motley Crue are shit. Which many people do.

I have this book. It's a fantastic tale of rock 'n' roll excess. As you say bateman, you can hate their music and still have a great laugh at their antics. A lot of the time you think 'Fuxake!', but other times you'd think 'yeah, I'd do that....'

Ozzy snorting the ants is hilarious. :lol:

Now finished Emperor: The Gods of War, which is the last book in Conn Iggulden's Emperor series. Just to re-iterate, this is an absolutely fantastic series and I'd reccommend it to absolutely anyone. 9/10 - it only even drops a mark because he takes a few liberties with changing history in the earlier books, which, if you have any knowledge of the actual history, detracts from the believability (is that even a word?) a tad. Splitting hairs, though, as it's a brilliant series.

Quite agree, but do you not think he could have streched it into two books, there did seem to be an awful lot covered in "The Gods of War" and it did feel a bit crushed if you know what I mean!!!

Still, an absolutely brilliant series though!!!

mcilvanney however, as always, was brilliant. i thought the papers of tony veitch was far better than laidlaw, which is great anyway, and the kiln was just amazing, especially as someone who really like docherty, which it is a sort of sequel to. definitely my favourite author and two out of my favourite three books, after docherty
I've read all of those books and agree with your opinion entirely there.

McIlvanney is one of my favourite authors, Docherty one of my favourite books.

Again I agree, Docherty is a fantastic novel, I think I'm going to have to dig that one out, not read it in years!!!

Just finished reading 'Friends Like These' by Danny Wallace

Basically this scottish minor celebrity looking for 12 of his old friends from when he was 12 years old and hasn't seen them in 18 years. Its good 'train reading' and is actually quite funny :) 7/10

Going to start on Lord of the Flies which I have always meant to read but never got round to it....

Just finished the Fellowship of the Ring and I feel the need to destroy Peter Jackson for missing so many things out in the films. Was surprised that literally half the book is all about making it to the Prancing Pony whereas they gloss over it in like 5 minutes.

Anyway I enjoyed my reading and will be moving onto The Two Towers shortly.

I know what you mean. All that stuff about Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Wights etc? There is lots in the books that have been missed in the films - as you go on to read the towers and return of the king you will find more and more.

Quite agree, but do you not think he could have streched it into two books, there did seem to be an awful lot covered in "The Gods of War" and it did feel a bit crushed if you know what I mean!!!

Still, an absolutely brilliant series though!!!

Wasn't really aware of it at the time, but I can see what you mean; there could've been a whole separate book about Egypt and Cleopatra. Splitting hairs really, though.

Just finished the Fellowship of the Ring and I feel the need to destroy Peter Jackson for missing so many things out in the films. Was surprised that literally half the book is all about making it to the Prancing Pony whereas they gloss over it in like 5 minutes.

Anyway I enjoyed my reading and will be moving onto The Two Towers shortly.

There was no way he could have put everything in the movie that was in the books.

Every single book had to have parts missed out as you would have had to add 2 hours to each movie for it all to be in there.

Jackson did a fantastic job of the movies.

Now finished David Eddings's Elenium series. Very, very good. I'd give it 8.5/10, there are still some annoyances in his writing style but I thoroughly enjoyed the series. It seems a tad more grown up than the Belgariad and Malloreon, inasmuch as this kind of series can every really be deemed grown up.

Also read "Faceless Killers", the first book in Henning Mankell's Wallander series. Thought that it started a bit slowly but became a very good detective novel. I'm looking forward to "The Dogs of Riga", which is the second in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lost Symbol Dan Brown

Read in three days.

Will be interesting to see what others think, as I'm surely not the only one to read it. Entertaining as always, Brown's knack of making the reader read on, is again in abundance. I got the twist about three paragraphs before it was revealed, and the ending Felt a bit like Return of the King, in that the logical ending was followed by a massive final chapter that didnt really do much.

Interesting since the movies that Langdon is now Tom Hanks in my eyes!!!!

A solid 7/10 but I have reservations if they make a movie i that the twist will be too hard to accomplish on film.

The only Coetzee novel I've read is Disgrace, which I thought was something of a masterpiece. I've no idea why I haven't subsequently read any of his others, but that's something that I'll need to remedy.

Regarding The Plot Against America, it's an alternate history novel where the antisemitic Charles Linbergh defeats Roosevelt in the 1940 US presidential election, and the repercussions this has on the Jewish community, including a fictionalised version of the Roth family itself, in Newark, New Jersey.

I thought it was a really impressive novel, but then I invariably do when it comes to Phillip Roth as he is such a fine writer.

Apologies to The Shire Voice Of Reason for butting in incidentally.

No problems, saves me doing it!

After a couple of diversions, I finished those two.

"Slow Man" is about a sixty year old man who has a cycle accident and has to have his leg amputed. He then falls for his hired help. Then, weirdly, Elizabeth Costello (who is a character in a previous Coetzee novel) turns up and tries to control everything. I liked it!

"The Plot Against America" is as above. Enjoyed.

Have just read "Lock Down" by Sean Black. He was at school in Falkirk with me (though he wasn't called Sean Black then, and isn't really now) so I thought I would give it a go. Not my type of book, so I have no idea if it is any good. I suspect not. The blurb on the cover about the author emphasises how many weeks of weapons training he had in order to write the book, so I suspect I can tell a lot about the books market from that.

Now reading "The Light Of Day" by Graham Swift, soon to be followed by "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides.

There was a Stuart MacBride book signing/reading thing at Waterstones, Trinity in Aberdeen tonight - only found out about it this afternoon and there were no tickets left by then :( Read Dying Light not so long ago, the second of the Logan series. Quite enjoyed it, as I did with Cold Granite. Familiar surroundings help, and the slighty-over-the-top gore is a plus point too.

Currently reading Night Watch, Terry Pratchett. Possibly my favourite Discworld book, I think, but a way to go yet.

Now finished David Eddings's Elenium series. Very, very good. I'd give it 8.5/10, there are still some annoyances in his writing style but I thoroughly enjoyed the series. It seems a tad more grown up than the Belgariad and Malloreon, inasmuch as this kind of series can every really be deemed grown up.

Also read "Faceless Killers", the first book in Henning Mankell's Wallander series. Thought that it started a bit slowly but became a very good detective novel. I'm looking forward to "The Dogs of Riga", which is the second in the series.

David Edding's stuff is quite enjoyable, I liked the various series he had, but clear as day that each book/series was written to a formula.

Stick with the Wallander books btw, they are tremendous.

Just finished 'If I Die In A Combat Zone' by Tim O'Brien.

First published in 1973 it's about O'Briens tour of duty in Vietnam. Good stuff and a million miles away from the Hollywood version of that war.

Bought it in Poundland :ph34r: last week.

7/10

I read "The Things They Carried" recently. It was good, but he really has to find another subject.

Last book i finished was "Join Me" by Danny Wallace.. Great book, quite funny etc. Now I'm on to The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.. One of my friends already wasted it for me by telling me two key features about it.. luckily it's a huge book so by the time i get to the exciting bit i'll have forgotten that I was told.

Jeffrey Archer - The Prison Diary Volume One: Hell.

Yes, he really does compare himself to Dante.

I read this book in 2 hours and 17 minutes. In it, Lord Archole tells us how all the inmates at Bellmarsh loved him and how he had an epiphany about crime or something like that. He also regales the reader with tales of eating Frosties.

Self serving garbage, and I don't believe a word of it. -666/10