Last Book You Read....

H_B

• 1 month later...
Finished The Dogs of Riga. Good book.

Not able to read anywhere as much now as I could before, but have managed a few more since this.

The next two books in the Wallander series, The White Lioness and The Man Who Smiled. Enjoyable reads, but the way in which each book seems to end in some kind of shootout is starting to grate a bit. They're set in small town Sweden!

Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol. Only read this book because someone bought it for me, it was enjoyable enough but not one that I'd consider re-reading. It's the little things that annoy me a lot of the time in this kind of book, for instance people seem to wink at each other much more than actually happens in real life. Also, he writes like this:

The one who called himself Mal'akh shaved off the remnants off his moustache.

I must be clean shaven for my dinner date tonight.

As he did so, he contemplated his imminent possession of the lost knowledge of the ancients.

I am about to be re-incarnated as a God to rule above all men.

The thing with the italics really, really annoyed me for some reason. :lol: There were also just a few parts of the plot which destroyed the suspension of disbelief, the twist was obvious and the ending was just...boring.

I'll give it a 6/10 overall.

I've also now finished Boris Akunin's She Lover of Death, which is the latest Erast Fandorin book. They're good fun, like a cross between a Russian Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. I'd give it an 8/10, despite the fact that the main female character is extremely annoying. Fandorin keeps trying to stop her from killing herself: good for him, but I'd probably have just let her do it.

Now started another book which was bought for me, called The Covenant of Genesis. Only really reading it out of a sense of duty because my granny got me it, but it's enjoyable enough so far, putting to one side the absurd plot and thriller by numbers title.

The Easter Parade ~ Richard Yates

Yates is an author I've been intending to read for a while, as he's frequently cited as an influence on people like Richard Ford, who's novels I really admire.

This novel follows the lives of two sisters over 40 or so years, and the complex relationship both between each other and their family. Despite following completely divergent paths from each other, both sisters are in their own ways unfulfilled and trapped by the way their lives have turned out.

Yates somewhat misanthropic view is almost unremittingly bleak, sometimes painfully so, but he's such a wonderful writer that it's a completely absorbing and thought provoking work. I thought it was masterful.

I'm now about a third of the way through the same novelists Revolutionary Road (as adapted into a recent film which I've yet to see) and, thus far, it's another very impressive novel.

Boyracers by Alan Bissett - 8/10

Catcher in the Boag? At first I thought it was heading down the Trainspotting-rip off route (mad adventures described in local dialect) but it turns into a fantastic tale of growing up in a shithole town with nothing to do. A real novelty reading a good book set in Falkirk.

Believe it or not, I met Alan Bissett in the taxi que in Falkirk last night. Awfy nice guy. Really happy to talk about his books and that. Said that I would be his "dream first date" if I had been a woman.

Ford County Stories - John Grisham

I normally really like his books, but this read like a load of half-baked ideas which he couldn't quite make into a book on their own, so he bundled them together and flung them out. There was one or two decent ones, the rest were pretty grim.

Just about to start on

Spartak Moscow - A history of a people's team in the Workers' state, and I'm looking forward to it.

Also a book about Garrincha which i got for Christmas.

just read NATION by terry pratchett, isn't a disc world novel and is the better for it. the last few disc world novels have been a bit similar, and although still good books not as good as they were.

really enjoyed nation, i got into it right away and stayed gripped throughout the book.

i'd say 8/10.

Believe it or not, I met Alan Bissett in the taxi que in Falkirk last night. Awfy nice guy. Really happy to talk about his books and that. Said that I would be his "dream first date" if I had been a woman.

He's my mate's cousin and is indeed a thoroughly decent bloke.

"MY SHIT LIFE SO FAR" ...... the Frankie Boyle autobiography, received it as a Christmas gift.

It had several funny and interesting sections but, as it progressed, it became increasingly tiresome reading about Boyle's obsession with his bodily parts, repetitively coupled with his cruel, rude and often offensive humour. Its all been done before by more notable Glaswegians than Boyle, e.g. Connelly. If you are a Boyle fan then by all means spend your tenner on it and you will most likely enjoy it. If you prefer Boyle in smaller doses like me then, then wait a short while and buy it second hand, its not the worst but, then again its not he best autobiography I have ever read.

If you bump into him again, tell him I gave up with his latest after 100 pages and started on a Where's Wally.

Confessions of a Highland hero - Steve Paterson.

Autobiography of former Elgin City, Huntley, Inverness Caley Thistle, Aberdeen, Forres and Peterhead manager Steve Paterson. He is a real hero for our fans due to his absolutely fantastic job managing our club but the book is really lays bare the addictions which have blighted his life. Pele always had a reputation as a boozer but reading the book it's the gambling that really destroyed many aspects of his life. The book is honest, to the point of being painful as he recounts the gambling splurges that lead to him losing over a millin quid (he estimates) in his lifetime. Some of it is really close the bone - Pele losing his daughters holiday money or blowing over £100,000 he had planned to use to open a hotel with spring to mind.

The book does give an insight into Pele's managerial successes at Elgin, Caley Thistle and Huntly though. He really did create tight-knit squads with great team spirit who played for each other - he also had a good eye for a player and made some astute signings. Sadly, by the time he'd got to Aberdeen his demon's were starting to overcome him and, as he says in the book, he should never have taken the job. Fundamentally, I think Pele comes across as a decent guy - his working life outside football has been dedicated to helping others and despite his failings he seems to have a loyal set of family and friends, testimony to his true character.

I'd recommend the book to anyone that would normally read football autobiogrphies, mainly because it's a far better read than most of them every will be. I'd imagine that ever Caley or Huntly fan will have already bought it.

I'm currently working my way through Generation Kill by Evan Wright. It's an account of the invasion of Iraq by Wright, a Rolling Stone journalist embedded with the First Recon Marines.

The Associate---John Grisham

It was a good read,but not as gripping as previous books, and it kinda fizzled out. I have enjoyed some of his previous books a lot more. 6.5/10

Edited by capybara

The Broons Annual 2009.

Great stuff. Good to see Granpaw is still in good form, though you would have thought by now the rest of the family would check their facts more before rushing in with instant conclusions, leading to hilarious misunderstandings.

Ninteen Eighty Four George Orwell

Finally got round to reading this classic. Brilliant, but utterly depressing. Not that I want to spoil it for those that haven't read it, but the ending is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

I actually only got around to reading it for the first time a month or so back. Have to say, what an incredibly pointless, boring book.

Although, I do now think, when reading ClydeNewcomer's posts, that there is hope...

I actually only got around to reading it for the first time a month or so back. Have to say, what an incredibly pointless, boring book.

Although, I do now think, when reading ClydeNewcomer's posts, that there is hope...

I loved it. I've also now got the John hurt, Richard Burton film from Amazon for £3.99 :D

Paul Oakenfold - The Authorised Biography by Richard Norris

I'm only a fan of Oakenfold through some of his remixes but this book gives a good insight into how he became one of the most successful DJs in the world.

7/10

[The hardback is seling for £16.14 on Amazon but I got it for £1 in Poundland :D ]

41r-mVEFbLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

just read NATION by terry pratchett, isn't a disc world novel and is the better for it. the last few disc world novels have been a bit similar, and although still good books not as good as they were.

really enjoyed nation, i got into it right away and stayed gripped throughout the book.

i'd say 8/10.

I started reading that, but ended up picking up Hogfather instead (thats what Im up to on chronological order ) I will go back to it, once Ive finished all the Discworlds.