Last Book You Read....

H_B

Oh and I read the Conn Iggulden book about Julius Caesar. Or well, the first part of it.

Is it just me, or did it read like a book for 14 year olds? It wasn't bad at all - it was just a bit childish I thought.

Just finished The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw having previously read his latest book The Lucifer Code. Both a Dan Brown style romp which is one of the types of books I like. At the same time I bought The Eagles Prey by Simon Scarrow (2 for £7 or something at Sainsbury or Asda) another fast paced romp but a more historical setting.

Now that I've finished both what does anyone recommend along the same lines (preferably good deals from Asda/Sainsbury)?

Have a lookout for the series of books by Andy McDermott featuring Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. The first one is The Hunt For Atlantis IIRC, there are now four or five of them. Enjoyable enough brainless books along the same lines as Dan Brown.

Have a lookout for the series of books by Andy McDermott featuring Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. The first one is The Hunt For Atlantis IIRC, there are now four or five of them. Enjoyable enough brainless books along the same lines as Dan Brown.

Thanks Gaz. Read The Cult of Osiris not that long ago whuich was quite good. That seems to be the problem with these Asda/Sainsbury offers - they never seem to have the first book in any series. I'm always starting from the middle.

Thanks Gaz. Read The Cult of Osiris not that long ago whuich was quite good. That seems to be the problem with these Asda/Sainsbury offers - they never seem to have the first book in any series. I'm always starting from the middle.

You can pick them up next to new on Amazon for a few quid. Even with Amazon's compulsory £2.75 postage or whatever it is they're still usually cheaper than the Tesco deals.

Just finished The Atlantis Code by Charles Brokaw having previously read his latest book The Lucifer Code. Both a Dan Brown style romp which is one of the types of books I like. At the same time I bought The Eagles Prey by Simon Scarrow (2 for £7 or something at Sainsbury or Asda) another fast paced romp but a more historical setting.

Now that I've finished both what does anyone recommend along the same lines (preferably good deals from Asda/Sainsbury)?

Lucifer code was a pile of bollocks. Read it about 3 months ago and despite my previous trashy novel reading habit, I thought it was rotten.

I fair enjoy those Andy McDermott books. Great reads and very entertaining.

The Snowman - Jo Nesbo.

Was really good - took a little while to get going, but enjoyed it.

then - A Room Swept White, by Sophie Hannah. Pish. I really should stop buying books written by women - they are almost invariably dreadful. Apart from Harry Potter of course.

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are brilliant. I'm a big fan of them. Worth reading them in series.

Tony Benn: More Time for Politics - Diaries 2001-2007

At first I though reading someone's diary would be excruciatingly tedious but I really enjoyed this book. Even if you aren't of Benn's political persuasion you'll still enjoy reading about the big events of the past decade through the eyes of someone who has spent a lifetime in politics. I never realised how involved he was in politics after he left office, he talks about everything from his meeting with Saddam Hussein to his friendship with Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness.

Reading a diary shows the human side of politicians. Would recommend it to anyone interested in an analysis of the world post 9/11 by someone who believes that it is still possible to retain the basic ideals of democracy and peace in Britain and the world.

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are brilliant. I'm a big fan of them. Worth reading them in series.

Yeah, I realised that about half way through this one. Always the downside to finding an author once they've become more popular.

I'm going to go back and start from the first one now.

As I've been sitting on my arse since the summer holidays ended waiting patiently to go to uni, I've stormed through a few books. Most recently:

Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut

Tremendous read, I can't get enough of his books. Personally I found this to be as good as "Slaughterhouse 5" which was an exceptional book.

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Very good read. Kept me engrossed enough to read it in a day.

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

Took me a couple of chapters to get into it but I enjoyed reading it.

Only got "Cat's Cradle" to read before I need to find some other Vonnegut books. So far I've read the three mentioned above, plus "Slaughterhouse 5", "Armageddon in Retrospect" and "Breakfast of Champions".

One Day in The Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Extremely interesting. Obviously some parts needed a few reads over to get the drift of what is being written due to the translation.

I've got a list of books to read though before I bother looking at anymore:

"On The Road" by Jack Kerouac

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson

"Crime & Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin

"Catch-22" by Joseph Heller

"Trainspotting" by Irvine Welsh

"A Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey

"Tender Is The Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerlad

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

A few non-fiction as well, although I'm not going to press on with these, my main aim is to read Speer's book and Brown's book:

"Inside The Third Reich" by Albert Speer

"The Rise & Fall of Communism" by Archie Brown

"The Candy Machine" by Tom Feiling

"The State & Revolution" by Vladimir Lenin

"Until The Final Hour" by Traudl Junge

"Lenin, Stalin and Hitler" by Robert Gellately

A number of books but I can usually read a book fully within a week, sometimes two a week depending on the size of the book. I may re-read both the LoTR books and The Silmarillion though as I read both of those in Primary 7 and I don't think I grasped the full content of Tolkein's work.

Edited to add:-

I enjoyed Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code", "Angels and Demons" and "Digital Fortress". Can anyone recommend "Deception Point" and "The Lost Symbol" or should I stay away from them?

Edited by yoda

then - A Room Swept White, by Sophie Hannah. Pish. I really should stop buying books written by women - they are almost invariably dreadful. Apart from Harry Potter of course.

That's in my pile of books to read.

Currently reading Love Hunt by Fiona Walker - a girly book.

Next is gonna be Fear the Worst by Linwood Barclay.

I think that's the Linwood Barclay book I read last month.

It was OK - kindof Diet Harlan Coben.

The Sophie Hannah book actually started OK - it just fizzled out a third of the way through.

As I've been sitting on my arse since the summer holidays ended waiting patiently to go to uni, I've stormed through a few books. Most recently:

Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut

Tremendous read, I can't get enough of his books. Personally I found this to be as good as "Slaughterhouse 5" which was an exceptional book.

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

Very good read. Kept me engrossed enough to read it in a day.

God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut

Took me a couple of chapters to get into it but I enjoyed reading it.

Only got "Cat's Cradle" to read before I need to find some other Vonnegut books. So far I've read the three mentioned above, plus "Slaughterhouse 5", "Armageddon in Retrospect" and "Breakfast of Champions".

I've got a copy of "The Sirens of Titan", Vonnegut's second book, you're more than welcome to it, if you pm me somewhere to send it I'll bung it in the post.

My house is quietly filling with books and once I read them I never go back for a second look.

Just finished reading "Think of a number" by John Verdon. I thoroughly enjoyed it, cracking thriller and I was dissapointed when I finished it as I wanted to read more. It held the suspense well at the end and, even though I managed to work out who the culprit was, I was glued to it.

Has anyone else read this and could you reccomend any similar books?

"On The Road" by Jack Kerouac

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson

"Crime & Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"The Idiot" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

"Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov

"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin

"Catch-22" by Joseph Heller

"Trainspotting" by Irvine Welsh

"A Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest" by Ken Kesey

"Tender Is The Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerlad

"Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

jailbird is another excellent vonnegut book, it's about corruption in the nixon administration and corporate america.

that's a cracking to do list, i read fear and loathing, on the road and cuckoo's nest about the same time i started uni and totally loved them.