Last Book You Read....

H_B

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Imagine, if you can, that Carl Hiaasen had written Forrest Gump. I downloaded it because it had a decent rating and was only 20p from the Kindle store and I'm really glad I did. It was an easy read, it wasn't at all predictable, it was quick to get going and entirely unrealistic and nonsensical, but in the same way that Forrest Gump was (it doesn't expect you to believe it, it just expects you to find it amusing), so it's ok.

The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window And Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.

Imagine, if you can, that Carl Hiaasen had written Forrest Gump. I downloaded it because it had a decent rating and was only 20p from the Kindle store and I'm really glad I did. It was an easy read, it wasn't at all predictable, it was quick to get going and entirely unrealistic and nonsensical, but in the same way that Forrest Gump was (it doesn't expect you to believe it, it just expects you to find it amusing), so it's ok.

I've just downloaded that, and put in my queue. Because it was 20p. :ph34r:

I picked a few based on their price and nothing more! :lol:

Edit to add: I don't think the writing is quite as good as Hiaasen, but it's the closest comparison I could make. It is a Swedish guy writing in English though, so you have to make some allowances.

It's more the 'Hmm, he seems to be dead', 'oh, really? Oops! That's a bit of a pain' style that I'm thinking of.

Edited by Mrs M

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo - enjoyed it, I like the Harry Hole detective series though the fact I'd read it out of sequence felt a bit strange.

As for The Silmarillion, I really enjoyed it. It's quite difficult to get into at first because it's not really a novel but more of a series of fables and legends from Middle Earth.

I enjoyed the legend of the creation, the cetral story abou the Silmarils and the downfall of Numenor (Atlantis).

Im reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep just now.

Im about half way through it and thoroughly enjoying it. :)

Very different from the film that followed, I liked the empty desolate image of earth in the book.

Very different from the film that followed, I liked the empty desolate image of earth in the book.

I was actually pleased that it was totally different to Bladerunner.

Im planning on reading a few more of his books on the back of how much Ive enjoyed this one so far.

I read that book when I was 15 and it broke my mind.

I'm having to take breaks in between laugh.gif I've got a very visual imagination so trying to imagine everything you get on a page literally sends me into a full on day dream

I read this a few months back. It really was great fun. It's incredibly silly but that's where all the enjoyment is.

Im planning on reading a few more of his books on the back of how much Ive enjoyed this one so far.

Dick is one of my favourite SciFi authors. Fantastic writer.

Double post shitey-stuff.

Edited by Raidernation

i read michael ondaatje's in the skin of a lion over the weekend.

it's a short wee novel set in canada in the first half of the 20th century. the central character is patrick who is brought up working with his dynamiter father for various logging companies and ends up living in toronto as an adult working laborious jobs alongside the immigrant community. it highlights the violence and exploitation that created modern north america but also the humanity of the workers who were chewed up and spat out.

this is the 4th book i've read by ondaatje and he is an incredible writer, you get totally enveloped by his prose.

Edited by T_S_A_R

"The Death of Bees" Louise O'Donnell

Quite entertaining. Set in Glasgow, present day, it's about two sisters and the death of their parents. The book starts with them burying the bodies in the garden! Characters are interesting, although some details were not so convincing. A quick, easy read.