Last Book You Read....

H_B

I have not read them yet, but they arrived in the post this morning:

Failed State by Noam Chomsky

Chomsky assesses American foreign policy, past and present and argues that America shares similar features to the regimes it insists are failing and are a danger to it's neighbours.

Hunting Grounds by Gary Sutherland

The author travels to a match at all the Scottish football grounds last season. With some observational humour. A good write up for Queens fans and the social club.

Bush at War Part III: State Of Denial by Bob Woodward.

Examines the Bush administration and the lies it told to the public, in the run up and the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq.

I have not read them yet, but they arrived in the post this morning:

Failed State by Noam Chomsky

Chomsky assesses American foreign policy, past and present and argues that America shares similar features to the regimes it insists are failing and are a danger to it's neighbours.

Hunting Grounds by Gary Sutherland

The author travels to a match at all the Scottish football grounds last season. With some observational humour. A good write up for Queens fans and the social club.

Bush at War Part III: State Of Denial by Bob Woodward.

Examines the Bush administration and the lies it told to the public, in the run up and the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq.

Noam Chomsky is really, really dry. Bob Woodward's book is meant to be terrific, must get around to reading that myself actually.

I am currently reading Hunter S Thompson's Songs of the Doomed, and like everything else of his I have read, it is magnificent. In fact, I am coming to the conclusion that the man is up there with F Scott Fitzgerald as the greatest writer of the last century.

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Chabon ~ The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay

Wonderful novel about a Jewish guy who escapes from Prague just prior to the Second World War and goes to live with his cousin in New York, where they create the comic book character The Escapist; an anti fascist superhero that liberates the worlds oppressed.

I've got no interest at all in comic books but, although this probably would enhance the enjoyment of the book, it didn't really detract from what is a fantastic and moving story.

Going to make a start on the same authors 'The Yiddish Policeman's Union' now.

I have loads of books to read:

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Tokyo Year Zero - David Peace

Cold Granite - Stuart McBride

I started reading Mao: The Untold Story by Jung Chang but found it pretty boring to be honest. I think I will start Tokyo Year Zero today.

What are those books like, Chris? I haven't heard of either of them.

I have recently finished The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thompson - who I have been reading almost completely for the last 6 months. I am now reading Che Guevara - A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson and All The President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward.

Guest johnjag
What are those books like, Chris? I haven't heard of either of them.

I have recently finished The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S Thompson - who I have been reading almost completely for the last 6 months. I am now reading Che Guevara - A Revolutionary Life by Jon Lee Anderson and All The President's Men by Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward.

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian is a light but entertaining yarn about a couple of sisters whose elderly father falls victim to a large- breasted gold- digger from the old country (The Ukrain) and how his warring daughters are brought together to fight their common foe. It's good fun.

Got for Christmas 'Two Sides of the Moon' by Alexei Leonov and David Scott, good if a little bit too contrived in the way it is laid out. Also just read JPod by Douglas Coupland, not too serious and slightly geeky... seemed to suit me well

Have bought/got for Christmas but yet to read:

The Book Thief

The Damned United

The Meaning of Sport

Dave Courtney - The Ride's Back On 5/10

Follow up to stop the ride, I want to get off (which I haven't read), Courtney is a renouned celebrity gangster who now stars in the odd movie, writes books and has columns in a few papers/magazines.

He comes across as a smug git, constantly name dropping and bragging about his lifestyle. The book tells of is court appearances where he was wrongly (so he claims) accused of being a police informer. The book would have been far better if he wasn't full of himself and coming across as a twat most of the time. I wouldn't say that to his face though!

• 3 weeks later...

Michael Chabon ~ The Yiddish Policemen's Union

This is a detective story (which is not a genre I'm usually interested in) which is set in a fictionalised version of the city of Sitka in Alaska. It's an alternate history based on the premise that a temporary Yiddish speaking settlement for Jewish refugees, the 'frozen chosen', was established in Alaska in 1941.

It's essentially a whodunnit which encompasses themes of Jewish identity and folklore along with the significance of the game of chess. Yiddish terms are sprinkled liberally throughout the prose which takes a wee while to get use to, but once you do it makes the dialogue really vivid and enjoyable. It's a great language for insults it would appear.

It's a completely different style of book to The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier And Clay (his previous novel), and I didn't find it quite as enjoyable, but it's still a right good read although I thought it began to flag a wee bit towards the end.