Last Book You Read....

H_B

"Why I Like To Do It With Girls"

:lol:

That was a pamphlet ;)

I've just finished the 3rd in the Frankenstein trilogy by Koontz. Im a big fan of his books, and loved the first two of this trilogy, but this was a little disappointing. Seemed almost rushed, like he'd forgotten about it and suddenly had to get something out. Still a decent read, but didnt really feel like the proper end to a trilogy

I'm about 250 pages into "The Gril with the Dragon Tattoo" and enjoying it, will reserve opinion til its finished likes

I'd appreciate your views on it when you're finished, I've got it in a queue qaiting to be read, cheers.

I'd appreciate your views on it when you're finished, I've got it in a queue qaiting to be read, cheers.

unsure.gif

*Can't tell if that's sarcasm*

laugh.gif

It's been good thus far, I can understand the "thriller by numbers" criticism, but it's well written, with an interesting premise and plot.

unsure.gif

*Can't tell if that's sarcasm*

laugh.gif

It's been good thus far, I can understand the "thriller by numbers" criticism, but it's well written, with an interesting premise and plot.

Fair enough. :lol:

Actually it wasn't, I've read a couple of articles about the author and a review of the book, but I'd rather hear folk's opinions rather than relying on a journalist.

Fair enough. laugh.gif

Actually it wasn't, I've read a couple of articles about the author and a review of the book, but I'd rather hear folk's opinions rather than relying on a journalist.

Cool laugh.gif

I'd agree with you, I enjoy the mini-reviews or whatever on this thread, and find them useful.

Right, I'm about to contradict myself completely from earlier in the thread.

I read half of the latest Dan Brown book and couldn't finish it. It's fucking garbage.

Right, I'm about to contradict myself completely from earlier in the thread.

I read half of the latest Dan Brown book and couldn't finish it. It's fucking garbage.

I was going to give it a shot, purely as a bit of "leave your brain at the door" fluff, but a few folk have now told me that is diabolical

I was going to give it a shot, purely as a bit of "leave your brain at the door" fluff, but a few folk have now told me that is diabolical

I think someone earlier likened it to a Scooby Doo plot, which is pretty much spot on. A dreadful dreadful effort.

Recently read "Hey Nostradamus" by Douglas Coupland.

It's a four person account, based around a high school shooting massacre where a girl(one of the narrators), secretly married and pregnant is killed, and about the lives of her boyfriend/husband, his eventual lover and his father afterwards. It was good, typical Coupland cynicism in parts but also quite warmly human.

I think someone earlier likened it to a Scooby Doo plot, which is pretty much spot on. A dreadful dreadful effort.

I don't understand what it is with Dan Brown. He has shown that he has reasonable literary talent, and has produced a series of books that are essentially fairly good beach reads, but for some reason half the world is jumping up and down hailing him as the next Messiah.

I consider myself a fairly well-read bloke, and I will read more or less most books, even if it's only the first few chapters to get a feel for a book. I have read a couple of Browns books, and have to be honest, they aren't bad, just over-hyped. Having watched the film adaptations, which are fairly good, I have to wonder what the critics/publicists/award-hander-outers see in his work.

He suffers from a common authors' affliction: he's tone deaf. Therefore he's unable to write with any rhythm, it's tragic really.

Not the point of this thread I know, but I will be reading The Motorcycle Diaries on my way to Vegas. After watching Che, i have an urge to learn more about Ernesto Guevara.

I don't understand what it is with Dan Brown. He has shown that he has reasonable literary talent, and has produced a series of books that are essentially fairly good beach reads, but for some reason half the world is jumping up and down hailing him as the next Messiah.

I was kindof of the opinion that he was unfairly pilloried, because people snobbishly look down on popularity.

However, there are no excuses for the latest shite - he deserves all he gets for this nonsense.

Rubicon by Tom Holland - history - no keep reading - of the downfall of the Roman republic. A most excellent book - the history of a most crucial period in western history told in a modern voice - "contemporary sensibility" it says on the back.

If you have any interest in history, politics, or even the historical figures - Caesar, Cicero, Pompey, Crassus and Cato - have a look at it. It reads like a novel - but is very well researched. There are constant modern parallels - especially with power struggles among elites and international gun-boat diplomacy (or rather a couple of well disciplined legions diplomacy) - but he never labours them - lets you draw your own conclusions

Next book Im going to read is also by Tom Holland- "Persian Fire" - about the build up to the battle of Marathon - which he claims has a resonance in the divide between west and east down to today..

I've just finished the 3rd in the Frankenstein trilogy by Koontz. Im a big fan of his books, and loved the first two of this trilogy, but this was a little disappointing. Seemed almost rushed, like he'd forgotten about it and suddenly had to get something out. Still a decent read, but didnt really feel like the proper end to a trilogy

Yes, I totally agree with this. What put him off stride with this trilogy was all the stuff with Hurricane Katrina, as the book is set in New Orleans, therefore he delayed it for ages, and when he did get round to it, it did indeed feel very rushed. A shame, as up until then, it was shaping up to be an excellent trilogy.

I felt the ending was particularly badly handled, a trait which is becoming more common with Koontz's books, the somewhat awful 'Relentless' being a prime case in point.

I've read a couple of articles about the author and a review of the book, but I'd rather hear folk's opinions rather than relying on a journalist.

There's loads of people on this thread have read it, including myself. It's a fantastic book, well worth reading. I'll be getting onto the 2nd one in a couple of books time.

Not the point of this thread I know, but I will be reading The Motorcycle Diaries on my way to Vegas. After watching Che, i have an urge to learn more about Ernesto Guevara.

I enjoyed The Motorcycle Diaries.he was a bit of a lad in his day.won't spoil it for you but you can seehim changing throughout the book.

Ps.if it's the same copy I have,there is a picture of Che,clean shaven,looking very like Richard Park. Strange.