Can we go better than 5-0 this season?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the annoying thing about the anonymous nature of the internet, it emboldens inadequates and allows them to abuse people in a way they would never dare if face-to-face with them.

Rangers supporters have been through utter hell these last few months, even as I type we've still not received our licence from the SFA. Yet the reaction from the vast majority of supporters from other clubs is spite and shadenfreude as the comments on this board testify. Rangers supporters were not aware of, nor responsible for, the financial shenanigans that ultimately imperiled our club, remember.

I am grateful to the SFL for accepting us as members, and it pleases me that by starting at the foot of the senior game in Scotland, we can help rejuvenate the game in this country. Hopefully, and I know this sounds arrogant, our presence will generate a lot more interest in the lower leagues and all the clubs will benefit financially.

I actually have a great deal of respect for the supporters of lower league clubs, and I don't mean that to sound patronising. On the contrary, in many respects I envy you as I think the bigger clubs tend to treat their supporters as 'customers' which detracts from the experience, whilst the grounds are mostly characterless, and our games are rescheduled to accommodate the television companies. Following one of the Old Firm's also frustrating as, domestically at least, anything other than a win is really a poor result and finishing second in the SPL means a poor season. Having said all of that, I have to respect the kind of fanatical devotion that motivates an East Stirling supporter to get up and watch his side play Berwick on a cold, wet Saturday in February, particularly if they're at the foot of the table.

In short though, having seen some of the comments on here, the gloves are off. There's only so much venom and spite I can take before my patience wears thin.

If Kilmarnock had ever had a policy of not signing black players, if their fans saw people with darker skin as second-class citizens, if they sang about being up to their knees in "nigger blood" - then my parents would never have allowed me near Rugby Park. If those same parents had encouraged me to attend Killie games, to wear the colours, etc., I would have disowned them as soon as I was mature enough to know better, and turned my back on the club.

If your patience is wearing thin, maybe you should reassess your connection with the most venomous, spiteful organisation in Scotland.

Just a thought....

It is probably realistic to have Rangers as hot favourites for Division 3 but it isn't going to be 10-0 every week.

This year's team is NOT comparable to the sides that won or chased SPL championships. We're a Third Division team and While we're strong on paper the low morale at the club could be a huge factor.

I expect Rangers to win at least 30 of their league matches this season. Although they found it tough yesterday, Brechin are a division above, and they have always been pretty hard to beat at Glebe Park, and Rangers haven't had the luxury of pre-season games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the former finished their 2004/2005 campaign with 8 points and a goal difference of minus 88. How dispiriting and crushing must a season like that be?

Actually, that was a glorious season. We loved and cheered every one of our players for every minute of every game. Before the final game we only had 5 points and were about to register the worst season ever by any team in the history of British football. Then we won the last game, didn't have the worst record ever, and celebrated more that night than you did when you won however many in a row in a two horse league. The taste of "victory" was so unusual that it meant much much more than any number of numbingly obvious and predictable Scottish Cup finals.

Then there was the season a couple of years later when a victory in the final game meant that we would not be kicked out of the league. There was an actual pitch invasion at the final whistle, and we carried the players on our shoulders. Have you ever tasted that kind of euphoria?

Add to this the lack of atmosphere

As opposed to the oppressing atmosphere of hatred and violence at old firm games? Instead, we have to put up with a small band of loyal fans who sing all the way through the match, opposing fans who we know by name and often drink with before and after matches, the possibilty that Mad Bill will rile an opposing player so much they will snap and end up getting sent off.

paucity of glamour ties

Actually, every cup tie is a glamour tie when you're bottom of the heap. Every Scottish cup tie your team has played for the past thirty years (except old firm games) has been against lesser teams, and could in no way qualify as a glamour tie.

Last year our most emphatic victory was the 5-0 pumping of Dundee Utd. This season I'd like to think we'll have many easy games and score plenty of goals, but are we likely to frequently demolish sides, and can we do better than 5-0?

Souness Loyal ? is that you ? we have missed you buddy :lol: is there a record win on the cards ?.

rofl.gif

• 3 years later...

Archived