The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

We holidayed in Bavaria last summer, and every day i had a few different local Pilsners. They were all superb - I can't remember any names at the moment, but each was slightly different to the one before. Preferred them to the wheat beers. And completely different to the likes of Tennents.

Here's why :) from Wikipedia

Beer is a major part of German culture. For many years German beer was brewed in adherence to the Reinheitsgebot order or law which only permitted water, hops and malt as beer ingredients. The order also required that beers not exclusively using barley-malts such as wheat beer must be top-fermented.[1]

Since 1993, the production of beer has been governed by the Provisional German Beer Law which allows a greater range of ingredients(only in top-fermenting beers) and additives, that have to be completely, or at least as much as possible, removed from the final product.[2]

Beer: The Kernel - London Brewers Alliance Collaboration Stout 2012

http://www.thekernelbrewery.com/

Abv: 6.8%

Style: Stout

Aromas: Dark chocolate truffles, roasted malts, some vanilla, smokey peat, dark sweetness, bizzarely a background smell of something like paraffin/aviation fuel :blink:

Taste: Dark chocolate & nuts (hazelnut perhaps), lovely dark malts, prominent smoke, something faintly briney slightly reminiscent of Kelpie, very rich

Overall: My second bottle from Kernel after the India Brown Ale. Glorious stuff this. 6.8% is hefty enough but it's actually got a richness and power to it which suggests a higher abv. A fantastic stout. Buy it.

8.5/10

Sounds lovely, did you buy it on-line?

A greenie for that heads-up, Monster. I shall avail myself of said offer if possible.

Good man, it's not bad at all. Only 3.2% abv, specifically brewed for a few at once.

Think I've had the session one on tap. Nice in bottle?

Certainly worth investing in a few at a quid a bottle. I quite like it.

Have tried various IPAs in my weekly shop - keep going back to Deuchars IPA though. Go between this, Asda own IPA and Bellhaven 80%. I don't really like the darker stouts. Any recommendations on the good session lighter IPAs that can be found in supermarkets?

Have tried various IPAs in my weekly shop - keep going back to Deuchars IPA though. Go between this, Asda own IPA and Bellhaven 80%. I don't really like the darker stouts. Any recommendations on the good session lighter IPAs that can be found in supermarkets?

Try the TSA Ben Nevis IPA. You can get it in Sainsbury's and Tesco, not sure about Asda or Morrison's. Certain I've seen it in Aldi and Lidl although in those two it isn't always stocked.

post-4200-0-18084400-1360277587_thumb.jp

That's the only picture I could find, but don't worry it comes in 500ml bottles, not the 330ml in this pic.

Usually retails for about £1.25 - £1.75 for 500ml, it's only 4% and one of my favourite IPA's anywhere. Has quite an oaty sort of biscuity flavour which in fairness isn't to everyone's taste, but I love it.

Williams Bros, Good Times at £1.39 a bottle. (Aldi). Tryst brewery have a nice IPA offering called Raj can't remember if that was bought at Morrisons or ASDA.

It is. I got it from that new place Hippo Beers on Queen Margaret Drive in Glasgow.

A visit to Hippo is definitely on the cards, the sooner the better. Are their bottles a lot more expensive than you would pay in the supermarket? Obviously a lot of the beer they sell won't be available in your average supermarket but just looking for a general idea of prices.

Cheers.

A visit to Hippo is definitely on the cards, the sooner the better. Are their bottles a lot more expensive than you would pay in the supermarket? Obviously a lot of the beer they sell won't be available in your average supermarket but just looking for a general idea of prices.

Cheers.

There's plenty which aren't that much dearer than the supermarket. The majority of the ones there you're not likely to see in supermarkets anyway so I don't mind paying a quid more or so. There's bottles from £2 something then there's mental speciality ones which can be over a tenner a bottle and everything in between. You can still get a decent haul of quality brews for a good price.

Beer: Batemans Brewery 'Dark Lord''.

Abv: 5.0%

Style: Ruby Porter

Aromas: Dark berries, roasted malt.

Taste: Burnt coffee, liquorice, slightly fruity spice, bit sherry like. It's got a smokey aftertaste.

Overall: Not the best porter I've tried, quite underwhelming. But, easy to drink and very light so would go nice with some grub.

6/10

sfryLtg.jpg

There's plenty which aren't that much dearer than the supermarket. The majority of the ones there you're not likely to see in supermarkets anyway so I don't mind paying a quid more or so. There's bottles from £2 something then there's mental speciality ones which can be over a tenner a bottle and everything in between. You can still get a decent haul of quality brews for a good price.

Cheers again :)

I was in Tesco today for the first time in ages and I was like a wean in a sweetie shop when I got to the beer aisle. God knows what I'll be like when I pay 'Hippo' a visit :huh: Might have to take out a bank loan beforehand.

Thanks for the info on Hippo beers Derek Patterson it has a tremendous range of beers from most of my favourite brewers. I have to disagree with your score on Snake Dog IPA though, I thought it was excellent. Hippo beers really is a sweet shop for grown ups so Mighty Meadow may have to take out a bank loan before visiting. I bought six beers there today and will start with the three IPAs I bought for a taste test as I have yet to drink the other three beers.

Scored as follows:

1. Snake Dog IPA (by Flying Dog) 7.1% ABV. Score 9/10

2. Punk IPA (by BrewDog) 5.6% ABV. Score 8/10

3. East India PA (by Brooklyn) 6.% ABV. Score 8/10

The Snake Dog was excellent and easily beat the Brew Dog into second place. The Brooklyn beer was a quality beer but just not the taste I was expecting, kind of sweet aroma with a faintly medicinal taste.