The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

I received a bottle of brew dog tactical nuclear penguin as a late Christmas gift. Has anybody tried it and how is it best served? Also how long will the bottle last when opened? I imagine with the high alcohol content it should keep.

I received a bottle of brew dog tactical nuclear penguin as a late Christmas gift. Has anybody tried it and how is it best served? Also how long will the bottle last when opened? I imagine with the high alcohol content it should keep.

It will certainly keep at that alcohol content and I believe it is not carbonated so it wont go flat, as it already is. Brew dog say you should drink it in much the same way as you would drink whisky.

My local Wetherspoons (recently opened) has several cask ales on offer at £1.99. The quality can be variable but generally isn't too bad. I must admit, I'm surprised at how many people do head straight for the handpumps to see what is available. Wetherspoons may have its critics but they are providing a good selection of real ale at very reasonable prices, including many Scottish brews. Can't be all that bad.

For those type of beers (imperial stouts) then you're best to have them in a snifter type glass as they focus the aromas of the beer more directly up to your nose. You can get ones for just a few quid some places. Good thing to have if you drink certain types of beer semi regularly.

For the higher abv ones or even a bigger bottle that you don't fancy all at once then these are very handy. Fit pretty much any beer/wine bottle.

Beer: Wychwood Brewery 'Hobgoblin'.

Abv: 5.2%

Style: Premium bitter/ESB

Aromas: Hoppy, roasted malt.

Taste: Fruity, malt and hint of toffee. Slight sweetness but light on the pallet ruby ale.

Overall: Very fond of Wychwood brewery ales. Good session beer, thin bodied. Easy & frothy head, with a not too serious enjoyable edge.

7.5/10

RorN3wN.jpg

They have that on tap in the pub below my flat, smashing pint.

Thanks canny and Derek. Should it be chilled or served at room temp? Given the website said it should be enjoyed like a fine malt im thinking room temp with.a cube of ice.

If you're not drinking it straight away then maybe fridge it but then take it out an hour or so before you open it.

Either that or maybe a kitchen cupboard so it's cool but not chilled.

Edited by Derek Patterson

Thanks canny and Derek. Should it be chilled or served at room temp? Given the website said it should be enjoyed like a fine malt im thinking room temp with.a cube of ice.

Not sure about the temp for that particular beer, but I wouldn't have thought a cube of ice should be allowed anywhere near it.

I had two of those last night - £1.39 each from Aldi. Absolutely splendid they were. Williams Bros are evidently the heroes of this thread!

Indeed at £1.39 a pop in Aldi's you know it makes sense. :D

I'm not a huge fan of their darker offerings as I have said before on this thread, I find them overcarbonated for my taste. Of the darks beers I have tried, March of the Penguins is the better than Midnight Sun imo.

Edited by madmitch

Tonight I have been tasting BrewDog beers for the first time in a while. I've realised how good they are again, just wish they would sell them in 500ml bottles (preferably at Williams Bros price):

5 AM Saint: They seem to have changed this a little, seemed more malty and with a creamier head since the last time I drank it. Still really good though 7.5/10

Dead Pony Club: Despite its 3.8% ABV this American pale ale has plenty of flavour. Credit where its due I've added a mark due to the low ABV 8/10

Punk IPA: Probably the best IPA I have tasted, I cant believe I have not tried this in about three years 9/10

Tonight I have been tasting BrewDog beers for the first time in a while. I've realised how good they are again, just wish they would sell them in 500ml bottles (preferably at Williams Bros price):

5 AM Saint: They seem to have changed this a little, seemed more malty and with a creamier head since the last time I drank it. Still really good though 7.5/10

Dead Pony Club: Despite its 3.8% ABV this American pale ale has plenty of flavour. Credit where its due I've added a mark due to the low ABV 8/10

Punk IPA: Probably the best IPA I have tasted, I cant believe I have not tried this in about three years 9/10

Decent IPA, but it's not even their best IPA. Never 9/10

Try Sierra Nevada and Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Houblon Chouffe, Tescos own American Double IPA (brewed by Brewdog), Joker IPA, Brooklyn IPA and there's loads more.

Decent IPA, but it's not even their best IPA. Never 9/10

Try Sierra Nevada and Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Houblon Chouffe, Tescos own American Double IPA (brewed by Brewdog), Joker IPA, Brooklyn IPA and there's loads more.

Its better than Joker IPA for my tastes. Of the others the only one I have tried is the Brooklyn one but it was a while ago. The only Sierra Nevada beer I have tried is their Pale Ale which is excellent. I will look out for more of their range.

The Tesco American Double sounds interesting. Last time I tried a supermarket own brand was Sainsbury's Taste the Difference American Pale brewed in New York by I think the Genesee Brewery. It was not that good, pretty average really. However I'll give the Tesco one a try.