The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

Tonight I've had...

Old Tom by Robinsons. A strong ale at 8.5%. You can taste the strength, but it grows on you. Quite nice.

Also...

Löwenbräu Helles. Really nice beer from Munich. Not the best on (I prefer Paulaner and Hofbräu), but no par with Augustiner.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of pints at the weekend included;

Loch Lomond - Haakon (tap) - Lovely, had about 3 or 4 pints of this stuff.

Black Sheep Bitter (tap) - Started off well, but I don't really like bitter. Didn't finish it

Williams Bros - Roisin (bottle) - Not for me, a bit too fruity and sweet for my taste

Lomond Gold (bottle) - Standard blonde - decent enough

Ben Nevis (bottle) - Again, decent enough

Sorry mate, will be giving it a miss this time round. It was great fun last year, and my glass lasted until December before I dropped it! Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

First one of four tonight - hardknott "infrared", 6.2%.

On first taste it is very sweet and bitter, but it leaves a strange sour kind of aftertaste. I can see why sainsburys only want £1.25 a bottle for it. Very dissapointing stuff.

3/10.

post-7178-13809981849783_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifharbourIPA.jpg

Beer: Harbour Brewing Company - IPA

Abv: 5.2%

Style: IPA

Aromas: Very floral and sweet, almost biscuity.

Taste: This is a belter. A reasonably strong IPA with plenty hops (American) but it tastes smooth and drinkable, almost like it's about 4 %. This is very similar to Brewdog Punk IPA in fact. It's got that wholehearted and robust finish but there's a tiny bit of sweetness too. I've never before heard of Harbour Brewing Company from Cornwall but I certainly will be looking out for them in future. This is a cracker.

8/10

Just drank a bottle of this purchased from Valhalla's Goat.

It was completely sour, draw your cheeks in stuff. Strangely it was drinkable but I decided to stop drinking as I suspect it was off. It was dated January 2014 but something was not right, there was no bitterness from the hops just a completely sour lemony taste. I have drank enough IPAs to know that this was not normal. Also it was very cloudy.

I also had a bottle of Fyne Ales Jarl tonight and it was tremendous. Id say the best sub 4% beer I have had.

My weekend ales were Oakham Scarlet Macaw and Oakham Green Devil IPA. Hoppy brilliance especially the 6% GD.

Absolutely love Oakham beers, not had one that I've not liked yet.

Bishop's Farewell and Citra being the sand outs.

Absolutely love Oakham beers, not had one that I've not liked yet.

Bishop's Farewell and Citra being the sand outs.

I was really unimpressed with Citra in fact I found it extremely unpleasant.

Archived