The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having a bottle of Froach from William Bros. First one I have tried. Not sure what I was expecting, it's nice easy drinking but maybe not as strong on flavour as I had anticipated.

Weekend included;

Sierra Nevada - Torpedo Extra IPA - best american one i've tried so far

Harviestoun - Bitter & Twisted

Bacchus Kriek - Far too sweet for my tastes, I suppose that what you get with a cherry beer

Shepherd Neame - IPA

This weekends choices. Looking forward to the German ones in particular. ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1381515297.287681.jpg

I don't know how you can drink that SS Chocolate Stout. I thought it was awful. Really dissappointed that I missed the Oktoberfest in Edinburgh last week, Achh well.

Ohh and Philpy so you know pub I work on has just got SS Inperial Stout (7%) and we are getting a bottle of Stingo Ale, which tops out at about 8.5%, only problem is it'll be £9.64 a bottle (550ml) :lol:

Also my dear father drank my bottle of Lomond Blonde I bought to try. Not cool on his part. At least he doesn't like ales, so they're all mines.

JD Wetherspoon are holding a 'UK meets US' ale festival until the end of October. I never noted all the prices, but a pint of Abbot and a pint of Duechars were £1.79 each.

Yus! hopefully they have some of that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Had a few pints of that last night in All-bar-one, very tasty although £5 a pint!

After a long lay off, I'm gonna try to brew some beer again. I've dragged the (as yet unused gift from years ago) barrel and gas cylinder out of 'hibernation' so any recommendations on what kit to try?

St Peter's Ruby Ale gets a good name, though I have never brewed it myself.

Off to Glasgow's Oktoberfest tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Here is a Bavarian drinking toast you should learn if you are

Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit
Der Gemütlichkeit.
OANS ZWOA DREI! G'SUFFA!

JD Wetherspoon are holding a 'UK meets US' ale festival until the end of October. I never noted all the prices, but a pint of Abbot and a pint of Duechars were £1.79 each.

They always are.

Popped along to my local Spoonsys to see what was on offer in their US v UK beer festival.

Had a pint of Avatar Jasmine IPA 6.3% from the Elysian Brewery in Seattle. Refreshing and floral IPA 7/10

Then I had a pint of The Abbots Confession 8.5% by Greene King. Wow, fantastic Belgian Abbey style full bodied beer. 9/10

1-0 UK.

I'll be back again tomorrow when I come home from Cowdenbeath and hopefully they will still have some of the Abbots Confession left.

My dad's become friendly with the guy who sells cider at the local farmer's markets so there's always a plentiful supply of Thistly Cross in the house. Had this one tonight, which was highly drinkable:

366f48204d36e080b40385ca96eed71a_320x320

As with the rest of their range, it had the sweetness of cider without the kind of chemical taste you get from Kopparberg, Rekorderlig etc. Highly recommend their whisky cask one, and they also do a cider which is 7.4% and far too easy to drink for something of that abv.

My dad's become friendly with the guy who sells cider at the local farmer's markets so there's always a plentiful supply of Thistly Cross in the house. Had this one tonight, which was highly drinkable:

Posted Image

As with the rest of their range, it had the sweetness of cider without the kind of chemical taste you get from Kopparberg, Rekorderlig etc. Highly recommend their whisky cask one, and they also do a cider which is 7.4% and far too easy to drink for something of that abv.

The ginger one is great with spicy food

366f48204d36e080b40385ca96eed71a_320x320

I love all the Thistly Cross range ... Just a pity it isn't in 500ml bottles.

Hallmark Hotel in Carlisle has a wee beer festival on this week(50 ales). I'll probably have a wee nosy at it

Carlisle Beer Festival Thursday 31/10/2013 to Saturday 02/11/2013 Hallmark Hotel
Court Square
Carlisle

50+ real ales + ciders with Cumbrian focus as well as many ales + ciders from near/far

Archived