• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pho_belhaven_best_sm.jpg

Quick pint after work.

blackfriar-bottle.jpg

Inveralmond Brewery Blackfriar 7%

Bought in M&S just before Christmas.

Nice and strong. Lots and lots of flavour which doesn't get overpowered by the high(ish) alcohol strength.

Takes my '365' quest nicely into double figures.

#11 Arundel Brewery Old Scrooge

073a5aaf7741738d08f9039a2368165a_320x320

£1.99 for a pint of 'real ale' in Wetherspoons' January Sale.

Decent but not outstanding session beer.

#12 JW Lees Christmas Plum Pudding

16078003591_796dad40b7_h.jpg

2nd pint in the Auld Brig (Irvine) yesterday (and also an after work pint tonight).

Lovely fruity and spicy Christmas ale. One of the better seasonals I've had in the last few months.

#13 Banks & Taylor Turkey's Trauma

beer_29453.jpg

Another fruity Christmas ale with a nice, subtle, hoppy finish.

#14 Sixpoint Sweet Action

DSC_2355.jpg

Hard to describe this one. Quite creamy and a bit hoppy. Needs to be allowed to warm up a little in the glass for the flavours to come through. Nice though.

£1.99 a can in Wetherspoons.

#15 Goose Island India Pale Ale

goose-island-beer-ipa.jpg

Lovely, hoppy ale. Tried on draught for first time yesterday in the Carrick (Irvine). £3.75 a pint but well worth it although I possibly prefer it bottled.

#16 Inveralmond Brewing Ltd Santa's Swallie

5956_7ef1.jpeg?c=da1d

Drinking this right now. 500ml bottle from Aldi.

Really enjoying Inveralmond beers at the moment. This one has a cracking spiciness, nutmeg and cinnamon in particular.

Should be made available all year round.

Currently drinking Timothy Taylor Landlord Pale Ale (4.1%), very nice it is too. I'd recommend it as a session ale for anyone.

Looking through the posts above I notice Inveralmond Blackfriars. I have drank that on a few occaisions and thought it was excellent.

Santa's Swallie was on in a pub near me at Christmas. Drank it on Boxing Day. Very unusual to enjoy a seasonal beer so much during a session. It really is lovely.

Great beer. Inveralmond are the best in Scotland in my opinion

At a birthday party in the local bowling club last night so nothing exciting at all ...

#17 CALEDONIA BEST

caledonia-logo.jpg

Not very nice at all. Bland and quite a metallic finish. Had one pint of that then was forced into this ...

#18 McEwans 60 /-

00014594.jpg

Bit of an old man's drink but actually ok for a session. Still managed to get to work fresh this morning after a good few pints of this and 4 hours sleep.

Couple of pints in the Salt Cot after work today ..

#19 Marston's Cinder's Doppelganger

marstons_cinders-doppelganger.jpg

Pale in colour and weak on flavour. The 'double hops' doesn't really materialise.

#20 Wickwar Brewing Co. Christmas Cracker

beercheckinimage.600.jpg

Selling this and Bateman's Rosey Nosey for 99p in the Salt Cot today. Nice citrus (tangerine) flavour and a hoppy finish. Nice.

Rare thing the 60/these days. Only place I've ever had it is the Lonsdale in Troon.

Both bowling clubs near Meadow Park sell it. That's the only places I know that sell it. Keep meaning to take a run over to Troon for a wee pub crawl. It's been a few years since I was last over there for a beer.

#21 BLACK WOLF BREWERY COULLS

Black%2BWolf%2BCoulls.jpg

I was never really a fan of this brewery when they were known as 'Traditional Scottish Ales'. Saw this one in my local Asda for £1 a bottle so decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. It's a lager but far removed from the stuff served up by Carling, Tennents and the like. Very smooth, peachy, floral and a subtle hop finish make it very drinkable. Wish I had bought more now.

#22 Wychwood Piledriver 4.3% ABV

Status-Quo-Beer-label.jpg

Created by Status Quo and named after their 5th album (?).

Love the bottled version of this and the cask is almost as good.

Pint in the Auld Brig, Irvine (£1.99)

#23 Exmoor Gold 4.5% ABV

pumpClip131.jpg

Golden ale from Somerset. Light, tropical fruits, malty with a subtle hop finish.

Nice but forgettable.

Pint in the Auld Brig, Irvine (£1.99)

-

#24 Old Mout Passion Fruit & Apple Cider 4%

IDShot_540x540.jpg

My first cider in a long time and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Does what it says on the tin, or bottle in this case but it is far too sickly sweet. Lots of passion fruit flavour and a crisp apple undertone but really not for me.

Archived