The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

I might check that out. I put it in the fridge so maybe that was the problem, but it doesn't state otherwise.

I also had a Orwell's Amaretto flavoured cider which was pretty nice. Very easy to drink.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wee update ...

#76 Marston's Resolution 4.7%

#77 Triple fff Brewery Alton's Pride 3.8%

#78 Charles Wells Brewery Young's Light Ale 3.2%

#79 Shephers Neame Spitfire Premium Kentish Ale 4.5%

All above were from a Christmas gift set bought in Asda, Irvine for £2.50.

Resolution and Young's Light Ale were pretty bad with the former being the worst of the bunch. It had very little taste at all which is a poor show considering it had the highest ABV of the four. Alton's Pride was the only one that had any hop finish and along with Spitfire was ok for a session beer but not outstanding.

Thankfully I got the box for half price as it wasn't worth any more pennies.

All above bottles were 275ml.

-

Out in the Auld Brig, Irvine last night where i had 3 beers from the Ayr Brewing Co.

#80 Fair Jenny's Jig 4.4% This is a new one to me and first glance at the pump clip didn't tell me to much. Poured very pale and didn't look very inspiring at all. Looks can be deceiving though and this turned out to be really nice. Creamy, smooth with a malty sweetness followed by a moderately hoppy finish. Great way to start the night.

#81 Jolly Beggars 4.2%

I've only ever had this in bottle before and I had forgotten how fruity it was. In great condition as well. One of my favourite pints in a long time.

#82 Rabbie's Porter 4.3%

I always have a pint or a bottle of this whenever I see it. lovely, smoky porter that never disappoints. A great example of this type of beer.

The Auld Brig had a 'meet the brewer' session with Ayr Brewing Co. during the week (missed it as I was night shift last week) hence the reason for having a few of their beers on.

-

Back home last night for a bottle of Deuchar's IPA #83

Always a good beer to have in the fridge/cupboard. Not overly hoppy but a great session ale which would probably even appeal to the lager disciples out there.

-

#84 Black Wolf Brewery Valentine's Double Espresso Stout 6%

This one had been in the cupboard for a while so decided to drink it in case it was going out of date. The aroma of coffee hits you full on as soon as you remove the lid. Pours almost black with a nice beige head. Strong taste of coffee and some dark chocolate. Nice sipping beer which is almost a great.

-

#85 My only beer on Sunday ... Rogue Ales Rogue Nation Brutal IPA 6%

Not nearly as hoppy as other IPAs but this is a really lovely, fruity ale.If I wasn't in a hurry I would have stayed for a few more pints of this. Worth checking out.

Had a couple of beers on Monday with mixed results.

#86 Williams Brothers Caesar Augustus 4.1% (IPA / Lager hybrid)

One of my favourite brewers and a beer that I loved in bottle form. My local Wetherspoon's has started selling this on draught so I couldn't wait to try it. Sadly the draught version was nowhere near as good as I remember the bottled stuff being. Looked great as it was being poured and it smelled strongly of fresh, floral hops but taste wise it was very watery and thin. I gave this 4 stars on Untappd for the bottle version but only 2 stars for draught.

Caesar_Augustus_keg-1346413408.png

#87 Founders Breakfast Stout 8.3%

Bottle bought from the Good Spirits Co. in Glasgow.

Lots of rich coffee and dark, silky chocolate. Very thick bodied, almost a meal in itself. Definitely the best beer I've had in a long, long time*. At 8.3% this is well worth taking your time over.

* I think this is the only beer I've given 4.5 stars on Untappd (out of 370 unique beers).

founders_breakfast_stout-464x600.jpg

3 pints on Thursday in the Salt Cot

#88 Summerskills Brewery (Plymouth) Indiana's Bones 5.6% winter ale.

Indianas-Bones-Silver.jpg

Lots of flavour in this one. Hard boiled fruit sweets, little bit of spicy fruit cake, malts. Doesn't taste as strong as it actually is. Available nationwide in Wetherspoon's pubs at the moment. (4 star rating on Untappd)

#89 Burton Bridge Brewery Golden Delicious 3.8% golden ale.

GDNew.gif

Not much flavour in this one at all. Looks like a low carbonated lager, weak taste, bit of honey if anything. Not recommended.

(2.5 star rating on Untappd)

#90 Marston's Sweet Chariot 4.8% bitter

beer_44800.jpg

Bland English bitter. Looked good and was in great condition but didn't stand out from loads of other similar styled beers.

(2 star rating on Untappd)

To be fair to the above beers I had quite a bad cold earlier in the week so this may have dulled the taste a bit but since the 1st beer I had was so full of flavour I doubt this is the case.

Also had 2 bottles of Innis & Gunn watching the football on Thursday night. First one was the Rum Finish which I've already had this year so doesn't count towards my target of 365.

The other one was ...

#92 Scotch Whisky Porter 7.4%

I_G_LR_Scotch_Whisky_Porter_330ml_1024x1

Very smooth, (too) easy to drink for such high strength, usual I&G sweetness. You don't have to like whisky to enjoy this.

(4 star rating on Untappd)

Was in the Green Finch in Didsbury last night and had pint of Banks Bitter, I like the bottled variety so thought I would give it a try in draught. Surprised at the difference it was nothing like the bottled version, strange flavour which I can only describe as like eucalyptus, but a very enjoyable pint. Had a pint of Hobgoblin as well, then a few pints of Abbots Ale in the Tennis club.

Got 4 bottles of this on Friday, been trying to source it for a while and the owner of the beerhive in Edinburgh got in some and kept it back for 3 weeks for me. Brilliant service. Anyway, the taste - takes a bit or getting used to on the first bottle, not to sweet, and easy on the pallette. 9/10post-7178-14252368023492_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of bottles tonight.

Midnight sun. Lovely stuff. Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the ginger but was subtle enough not to be overpowering.

Also having broughton 6.2 ipa. Okay, decent enough. Has a bit of a bitter aftertaste but not terrible.

Ayr Brewing Company - Dr Blackrock No. 5 Choc Orange Stout (6%)

Smells like those orange sweeties you get in a box of Roses. Almost aromatic orange vibes. Taste is reminiscent of good black coffee with orange syrup in it. Nice balance between the dark roasted coffee/chocolate vibes and the sweetness of the orange.£6 for a litre bottle from Paisley Farmers Market.

post-22047-0-34816400-1426377089_thumb.j

Went to Broughton Brewery yesterday. Great set up with some amazing beers.

We were given a bottle of Blonde, their new hoppy craft lager. It's launched tomorrow and Aldi are stocking it. I'd recommend. Tastes more like a golden ale than lager and the hops are there but not overpowering.

Tried one of these American Imperial porters yesterday

flying_dog_gonzo_imperial_porter.e53fqcf

Very strong at 9.2% for a porter. Not bad but not the best, I think the high alcohol content makes it taste a bit like treacle. Price - Expensive for a bottle the same size as a bottle of Bud. This bought from a great little local independent ale shop in Inverness at £4.50.

The rest of the Flying Dog range from their site - http://flyingdogbrewery.com/beers/

I like the Ralph Steadman artwork on the bottles. ^_^

Also had 2 bottles of Innis & Gunn watching the football on Thursday night. First one was the Rum Finish which I've already had this year so doesn't count towards my target of 365.

The other one was ...

#92 Scotch Whisky Porter 7.4%

I_G_LR_Scotch_Whisky_Porter_330ml_1024x1

Very smooth, (too) easy to drink for such high strength, usual I&G sweetness. You don't have to like whisky to enjoy this.

(4 star rating on Untappd)

Finished Saturday night with one of these. Superb stuff, one of my favourites so far. Didn't realise the strength at the time.

Archived