The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading up to dundee to visit a mate in ninewells, does anyone know of any ale shops in the citeh of discovereh??

Do you mean pubs or shops? If it's the latter then aitkens on peddie street has a few things you won't find in aldi or Tesco but not a huge selection. If it's a pint you after your best bets are drouthys or speedwell on Perth road or counting house(wetherspoons) in the town. Dukes corners do loads of craft beer but it's expensive and utter w**k.

As an aside the counting house has a few of the new broughton range in. Much better than the brown bog standard real ale they used to churn out. The ipa especially is lovely. I met the guy they have doing new line he is from Portland Oregon which is the home of the craft beer and pale ale world so I assume he knows his shit. The bar staff in the hoose are as cluless as ever though. Last night one of the girls said to me she was going to leave my pint to settle as it was quite hoppy.

Went to brought ferry for lunch, ended up finding "aitken wines" just off the high street, got 6 bottles of mixed Eden brewery beers for £11. Not the biggest selection, but that was a good price.

I had a lovely pint of May Bee by Williams Bros yesterday in Camperdown Place. Crazy to think that it was 50 pence cheaper than a pint of T!

I had a lovely pint of May Bee by Williams Bros yesterday in Camperdown Place. Crazy to think that it was 50 pence cheaper than a pint of T!

So did I...really nice pint.

• 4 weeks later...

Just come back from the West Lothian Beer Festival in the Four Marys, Linlithgow.

Had half pints of,

Big Red - Lovely Red Ale, 7.5/10

Buzz - Cracking biscuit flavoured ale 8/10

Shipwreck - Hoppy beer with sweet aftertaste 8/10

Maybee - Williams Bros honey beer, excellent flavour 8/10

Corby Fox - Fantastic Red Ale 8/10

Two Hoots - ok, but nothing special 6/10

New Laund Dark - Easily my favourite beer, Dark sweet stout with smokey overtones 9/10

Had a few (too many) pints of Orkney dark island in wetherspoons last night. Lovely stuff. I only paid £1.55 a pint as I had vouchers to use. post-7178-14016092364044_thumb.jpg

Just started volunteering in the Abbot House in Dunfermline. Plan is to work through all of these, 4 of them being gluten free. The limited edition CV has 105 varieties of hops in it, the brewer hoping to make the Guinness Book of Records for it.

post-20092-14016253377116_thumb.jpg

ETA Just been informed that there is a new one just out called Kingdom that is 10.4%. Worth a shot tbh.

Spending a couple of days at my mum's house. She stocked the fridge full of beers for my arrival: good news. Those beers are Foster's Gold: bad news.

First time I've tried 'the posh drop', the only positive I can think of is that they are slightly better than regular Fosters. Suffers from the same old problem that regular Fosters has, only really drinkable when it's so cold you can't really taste it and by a third of the way through all resemblance of fizz has left. It's slightly crisper than normal Fosters, but I wouldn't choose it.

I like the idea of Brew Dog...but I can't stand their beers. They're all so hoppy. I don't remember encountering any overly hoppy Scottish beers up until a few years ago, but so many of the beers produced by the new, small Scottish-based brewers are just a bit over the top with the hoppy taste (you can tell that I'm not a fan), I wonder who it is that they're produced for.

Williams Bros. are doing a great job in producing beers that are a wee bit more suited to the auld heavy-loving palate that I have. Belhaven got a bit of stick on here, but the St Andrews that you get on draught in the Scotia is superb.

I like the idea of Brew Dog...but I can't stand their beers. They're all so hoppy. I don't remember encountering any overly hoppy Scottish beers up until a few years ago, but so many of the beers produced by the new, small Scottish-based brewers are just a bit over the top with the hoppy taste (you can tell that I'm not a fan), I wonder who it is that they're produced for.

Williams Bros. are doing a great job in producing beers that are a wee bit more suited to the auld heavy-loving palate that I have.

I sadly realised that once you see past the clever advertising and 'f*** you drinks world' thing they have going on, they're actually not that good and incredibly samey. I used to frequent their Aberdeen bar when they first started up and now I rarely go in, only going for the 5am Saint when I do. Their hissy fit at being left out a CAMRA* event didn't help their case either.

Their Joker IPA is one of my favourites just now.

*on that note, I had a fair few halves at the Grampian Beer Festival at Pittodrie on Friday. Remember leaving the place perfectly fine and waking up on the coach at 7am. Picks of the night were 'Raspberry Wheat' and Cairngorm's Wildcat imo. I'd had the latter numerous times in bottle form but it was far superior from the keg I thought. Worst unfortunately was one of the Sulwath beers - a Dumfriesshire beer which (perhaps funnily enough) smelled and tasted of a farmer's shed with hay and compost. The other one they did was nice enough though. I forget the names though.

Brewdogs hoppy Xmas is the greatest beer I have ever tasted. Having said that I do see how you might think punk,jackhammer etc are samey.

William Bros have a much better range and aren't as big a pile of dicks as BD. I'm also loving the new broughton lines that are out now too.

Had a bottle of Broughtons Old Jock last night, not as good as I remembered but still a decent drop. Tullibardine 1488 a whisky beer was excellent. Also had Harviestouns Bitter and Twisted nice enough but too light tasted almost like a shandy.

Archived