My car is making a funny noise!

CountyFan

Thanks, how dangerous is it to leave this a few days if driving carefully?

If I'm correct you better watch the spring doesn't rip the tyre to shreds.

Certainly don't go far from home or on a motorway til whatever it is is diagnosed

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that "windows down, heating up full blast" is the standard retort to car trouble, much the same as "kick her in the pie" is to woman trouble or "12 Ruel St" is to settling issues with other supporters.

Where does that come from?

I see that "windows down, heating up full blast" is the standard retort to car trouble, much the same as "kick her in the pie" is to woman trouble or "12 Ruel St" is to settling issues with other supporters.

Reynard's solution to an overheating engine I think.

If I'm correct you better watch the spring doesn't rip the tyre to shreds.

Certainly don't go far from home or on a motorway til whatever it is is diagnosed

That happened to me a couple of years ago when reversing the wife's car out the drive. The front o/s spring fractured and a sharp end pierced the wall of the tyre causing it to burst and instantly deflate.

The thought occurred to me that if this had happened at 70mph on a busy motorway there could well have been serious if not fatal consequences.

The car was a 7 year old Citroen Xsara Picasso and I decided it would be wise to contact the makers to report the matter. Within about 2 hours - Arnold Clark, from whom we had bought the car, arrived at our house with a breakdown truck to take the car away. They contacted me next day to say they had replaced both front springs and tyres and there was no charge for that - Citoen were going to foot the bill!

Almost an admission of blame on their part.

My 1st thought is the suspension springs located behind your wheels.

Have you hit a pot hole or speed bump pretty hard recently?

Good advice, turns out the rear spring bottom had snapped off and was just rattling about in the pot at the bottom.

They said it would be safe to drive for a few days and removed it. Guessing that the weight of the car pushing it down and where it snapped means it's ok for a while?

I had heard the suspension sounding a bit louder tbh so I'm not surprised. Cheers.

That 'fixed' my Austin maestro in nose to tail traffic and threatening to overheat. Shite radiators, well it was an Austin so shite motor.

It was this that killed it, my cousin got it after me and cause of the weather he didn't follow 'protocol' and put the heating up full. So anyone in Aberdeen area around 10 years ago spotting a massive tailback caused by an Austin maestro shitting itself and dying in rush hour, that was my old csr

• 1 year later...

I cleverly reversed my Nissan Note Ntec 2012 into a skip and smashed the cover on the driver side rear light cluster. Any mechanics on here know if it would be difficult to wire in a replacement cluster or if there's any way of just replacing the cover?

1 minute ago, Zen Archer said:

Cling film, no one will notice the difference.

I'm seriously thinking about some heat resistant red plastic film like they use for lighting effects and a load of gaffer tape.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I cleverly reversed my Nissan Note Ntec 2012 into a skip and smashed the cover on the driver side rear light cluster. Any mechanics on here know if it would be difficult to wire in a replacement cluster or if there's any way of just replacing the cover?

$_1.JPG

If its similar to that and all you've done is smash the red bit, then all you have to buy a whole unit like the one above. Two screws and a wee persuasion out a rubber grommet and you'll have it in your hands. Can't remember off hand but I think all the bulbs have individual holders, so you just twist them and they pop out. Its a five minute job.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It has a multi plug connector on the back. Get another from the scrappy, undo a couple of nuts and reconnect. Piece of piss. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

$_1.JPG

If its similar to that and all you've done is smash the red bit, then all you have to buy a whole unit like the one above. Two screws and a wee persuasion out a rubber grommet and you'll have it in your hands. Can't remember off hand but I think all the bulbs have individual holders, so you just twist them and they pop out. Its a five minute job.

That's the one if it splits in two. Think all the bulbs are ok, I should really check! There's a youtube vid on removing it and it looks pretty straightforward as you say.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It has a multi plug connector on the back. Get another from the scrappy, undo a couple of nuts and reconnect. Piece of piss. 

Good to hear. The whole thing is only about £100, so I might just go for a new one. I bet Nissan would charge £300.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Nissan Note? I'd just change the car, tbqhwy. :P

I thought you'd had a stroke with that last word. Anyway it's brilliant, loads of buttons to play with and slidey back seats on a rail. And according to the speedo it goes 140 mph.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I thought you'd had a stroke with that last word. Anyway it's brilliant, loads of buttons to play with and slidey back seats on a rail. And according to the speedo it goes 140 mph.

Ach I was only joking. Many worse cars out there!

Another question for you geniuses on here. Just started part time parcel couriering. How much damage will it do to the car starting and stopping the ignition every few minutes for about 3 hours a day?

Archived