MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

aye Bamma starts on 5* at 9, prelims are on their facebook page just now. Ken Shamrock on commentary!

Some pretty decent fighters on the card tonight, looking forward to the Nunes-Lazarz fight.

Edited by Christophe

So Mark Hunt vs Junior Dos Santos

That should be fun. Unashamedly a fan of Hunt & I think he's got a chance if Junior doesn't fight smart & take it to the mat to show off those BJJ skills he's meant to have. But it's a small chance. Still looking forward to it.

This is the biggest high-profile mismatch in a very long time. JDS wins 99 times out of 100.

(cue Hunt ko-ing JDS in the 1st round :whistle )

Bamma is live on that 5* channel tonight, 8 or half 8 it is, (really is live this time)

Cage warriors is also live streaming on (i think) MMAjunkie tonight as well

The time I got in from work I only just saw the title fight for Cage Warriors. Pendred deservedly won it purely for pressing the action throughout. Grimaud didn't offer a whole lot I thought.

This is the biggest high-profile mismatch in a very long time. JDS wins 99 times out of 100.

(cue Hunt ko-ing JDS in the 1st round :whistle )

I can't agree with that. Maybe 4 in 5 times. He's the favourite of course, but I think you aren't giving Hunt's striking the credit it deserves. It's not outwith the realms of possibility that Hunt just smashes Junior on the chin & sends him reeling. Basically it all depends on how willing JDS is to stand & trade with possibly the luckiest K-1 GP winner. (Well, 2002 where Hoost lost to Bob Sapp twice & still was able to beat Sefo & Le Banner to win was pretty fortunate too)

The time I got in from work I only just saw the title fight for Cage Warriors. Pendred deservedly won it purely for pressing the action throughout. Grimaud didn't offer a whole lot I thought.

I hated the last fight, every other one (I think) was finished. except the Mcveigh fight. was pretty decent. can be rewatched on Cagewarriors.com as well

I can't agree with that. Maybe 4 in 5 times. He's the favourite of course, but I think you aren't giving Hunt's striking the credit it deserves. It's not outwith the realms of possibility that Hunt just smashes Junior on the chin & sends him reeling. Basically it all depends on how willing JDS is to stand & trade with possibly the luckiest K-1 GP winner. (Well, 2002 where Hoost lost to Bob Sapp twice & still was able to beat Sefo & Le Banner to win was pretty fortunate too)

The only way I see Hunt having even a chance is a JDS confidence/preparation meltdown. JDS is two or three levels ahead of old-school Hunt in every aspect of MMA, including Hunt's forte of striking. I really cannot see how Hunt has a chance if JDS goes in properly prepared. I hope I'm wrong as I'd prefer to see a war rather than Hunt being used as a punchbag.

Edited by banana

JDS-Hunt is a mismatch, but it's a mismatch Hunt has earned the right to be in, if that makes sense. Hunt's won enough fights recently and against a reasonable standard of opponent to be in this match-up. I think JDS wins handily as him and Velasquez are miles ahead of the rest of the division (with the possible exception of Cormier), but that doesn't mean Hunt shouldn't be in there (not saying anyone on here said that, just giving my take on it).

Watched the first couple of fights from Bellator last night but I've seen all the results. Popo Bezerra got robbed, no idea how anyone could give Richman two rounds there? Khasbulaev will absolutely demolish Richman in the final. Also, I think Bellator is my favourite thing to bet on at the moment. Bookies over here don't really have a clue about it, there is a chance to see guys fight repeatedly pretty quickly to build up a good picture of their abilities/styles, and the format means there can quite often be mismatches. I've nailed 3 out of 3 on Bellator this series, all on bets where the guys are around even money but should have been fairly big favourites.

JDS-Hunt is a mismatch, but it's a mismatch Hunt has earned the right to be in, if that makes sense.

It certainly makes sense. I tried to make the point to my big brother, who in his usual stupidity decided to say "he'll get fucked" over and over again. Well yeah, but he's on a huge win streak.

Marshy, you should give Aliev/Marshall a watch, if only to see how you'd have judged it. I've seen people say that the scorecards were all okay, and I just can't understand it.

Worth noting that JDS' cardio is hardly top stuff either. If Hunt makes him work in the fight, it could be dangerous if JDS doesn't finish him. Hunt was fucked in the last round and still had enough power to break Struve's jaw.

The only way I see Hunt having even a chance is a JDS confidence/preparation meltdown. JDS is two or three levels ahead of old-school Hunt in every aspect of MMA, including Hunt's forte of striking. I really cannot see how Hunt has a chance if JDS goes in properly prepared. I hope I'm wrong as I'd prefer to see a war rather than Hunt being used as a punchbag.

Not a chance JDS is a better striker than Hunt. At best you can say they are about even. That said, Junior has the advantage every where else, from the ground to something as basic as having cardio.

I really am excited for the fight. I'm totally unashamedly a Hunt fan. I don't expect him to beat JDS, but I do expect it to be a lot of fun. And aye, watching Hunt in the 3rd round vs Struve was weird. I mean he seemed like he was struggling to raise his arms & then he jumps up & smashes Stefan's jaw into bits.

Not a chance JDS is a better striker than Hunt. At best you can say they are about even. That said, Junior has the advantage every where else, from the ground to something as basic as having cardio.

I really am excited for the fight. I'm totally unashamedly a Hunt fan. I don't expect him to beat JDS, but I do expect it to be a lot of fun. And aye, watching Hunt in the 3rd round vs Struve was weird. I mean he seemed like he was struggling to raise his arms & then he jumps up & smashes Stefan's jaw into bits.

What? JDS has the best boxing in the UFC easily.

This is going to be an annihilation

Edited by RobbieD

Nick Diaz is just about stupid enough to try his luck with that. I hope he does and gets cut. Thick overrated knob.

I don't want to him to get cut but I completely agree he's overrated. He should not be anywhere near this fight, I can muster no enthusiasm for this weekend's event and he's the reason why. Not only does he not deserve to be in this match, there is zero way he can win it. Stylistically he's one of the last guys in the top 10 I'd give a chance against GSP. Doesn't have the power to take advantage of the very, very rare openings which could arise for one punch/kick KO, and his biggest weakness is his wrestling. He's got good cardio but there's not a chance it'll be better than GSP's. This'll be 50-44 or something.

Edited by Marshmallo