MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I don't mind fighters getting an instant title shot in another division if they're winning fights. I wasn't amused by Edgar or Sonnen getting shots ( although Edgar was literally the only big fight, and certainly the biggest test for Aldo so I understood it at least ) at other weights, but Pettis stepping down doesn't really bother me, and certainly Aldo moving up wouldn't bother me either.

Aldo at 155 is mouthwatering, so many options there. The title would mean some of these couldn't happen but imagine:<br />Aldo-Alvarez<br />Aldo-Henderson<br />Aldo-Melendez<br />Aldo-Cerrone<br />Aldo-Diaz<br />Aldo-Maynard<br />Aldo-Lauzon<br />Aldo-Miller<br />Aldo-Grant possibly<br />Even Aldo-BJ Pen maybe!

Mighty Mouse is injured and out of his fight with Moraga. The replacement main event for that card is Faber-Jorgensen. Jorgensen's always in great fights and is tough as nails but Faber is a beast. Faber will either stop him in the second or smack him about for 5 rounds IMO (I think it's a 5 rounder?).

Straus-Curran is off on Bellator 95 too, bit of a backlog building here with Shamhalaev waiting for a shot next. Best option here for me is just put Shamhalaev in ahead of Straus and let him fight the holder when he gets back.

I'm not hugely looking forward to Curran-Straus tbh, Curran is clearly a class above and I see no possible way Straus could win it. I agree with putting Shamhalaev in first but that's what, 4 weeks away? If I had an absolutely iron clad, guaranteed title shot as they do in Bellator, no way I'd be taking that fight with that length of notice. It's not like in the UFC where they can throw a strop and make you fight another couple of times ala Machida.

I'm not hugely looking forward to Curran-Straus tbh, Curran is clearly a class above and I see no possible way Straus could win it. I agree with putting Shamhalaev in first but that's what, 4 weeks away? If I had an absolutely iron clad, guaranteed title shot as they do in Bellator, no way I'd be taking that fight with that length of notice. It's not like in the UFC where they can throw a strop and make you fight another couple of times ala Machida.

5 weeks tomorrow. I think Shamhalaev takes the fight if asked, he had a bit of a gap between the rest of the tournament and the Martinez final (by Bellator standards), and he hasn't gone more than a round and a half the whole tournament.

Edited by Christophe

I think he may take the fight as well, but if I was him there's not a chance I'd take it. Curran's in a training camp for a fight anyway and will be in peak condition. If Shamahlaev loses it's not like he's going to get any favours from Bellator for stepping up, either way it'll be back into another tournament. I'd be saying "thanks but no thanks" and guaranteeing I was as well prepared as possible for a certain title shot.

I know we had a big discussion about this fight in this thread before, but I was looking at the odds for the Japan card and Hector Lombard is a pretty big favourite over Okami. I love Hector, but to me 2.88 (near enough 2/1) on Okami is massive. I think this a real 50/50 fight, no one is quite sure how good Lombard is and Okami is a real tough spoiler. I wouldn't be going mental but I'm very tempted to put a small amount on Okami. Definite value in him at that price I feel, but I'd like to know how others see this one panning out and how they view that price.

I'm taking Lombard, Okami's chin is suspect for me. Buddy Roberts almost found it out, and he was lucky to get through the last Belcher fight without getting rocked too bad. His two fights prior to that he was KO'd (Boetsch, Silva).

I don't think he takes Lombard down very easily at all, so if it's a stand up then i'm not looking past Lombard.

HOWEVER.....i wouldn't be touching this one on the betting. if Okami can get Lombard down then it's possible he might be able to grind out a points win, I just don't see it happening.

Shamhalaev has taken the Curran fight.

Good stuff, that will be an excellent fight. He's certainly got power in his hands. Curran's the boy though, I reckon he'll take that one.

Jacob Volkmann has signed with WSOF, I said at the time of the releases they should go all out for Jon Fitch if they want to make inroads into the market and maybe they are working on it, but Volkmann is a good start.

All of these cuts are gonna do wonders for the other promotions. Bellator will pick a lot up I reckon to add name power to their growing name.

Volkmann to me would have been the perfect guy to grind his way through a tournament before getting destroyed by Chandler. While there are no doubt guys who the UFC have just cut that could improve the quality of Bellator's roster, I don't actually think they'll pick up many from the list, and I'd in fact lean towards them picking up none of them. That to me is largely due to image and promotion politics. With the Spike deal in place and the Alvarez case going on, Bellator will be wanting to make sure they do everything they possibly can to avoid looking inferior to the UFC. I can't see them signing a load of UFC rejects (we can argue about the cuts on here but that's how they'd be perceived) and having them in prominent positions within tournaments. That was maybe the case in the past but I don't know about now. Their recent pick-ups seem to be unknowns from Russia/Brazil, or guys who aren't in the UFC for whatever reason (eg War Machine was in jail, Daley hit Koscheck after the bell so won't fight in the UFC again). Fitch is a possible exception to that since he is the poster boy at the moment for not getting a fair deal for winning fights. His stock is arguably higher now than it was before he got cut.

I'm thinking of putting some money on Attila Vegh tonight in the Bellator main event, 8/13 is available and I'd say he should be more of a favourite than that. I don't see M'Pumbu offering much resistance, Vegh should KO him. I think Rickels should pick up a decision win, but Awad-Brooks is tougher to call. Brooks has to be the favourite as his resume is more impressive but Awad looked fantastic in his QF. We didn't see much of him though so it's difficult to say how this one will go. I'd lean towards a Rickels-Brooks final there.