MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Shit like this pisses me off. There was no need to put Bisping in with Vitor. He would have been a credible challenger to Silva before that fight. Now a guy like Wiedman who, with a due respect has only fought 5 times for the UFC, 9 in his entire career, gets the shot ahead of Bisping.

Weidman has won all 5 of his UFC fights, including a destruction in his last fight of the guy who was supposed to be next in line in Mark Munoz. He beat Maia on 10 days notice and Maia's a former title challenger at MW. What's Bisping's biggest win, Brian Stann? Bisping is a mid-top 10 guy who will never fight for the UFC title because he isn't good enough to beat anyone in the top 5. There's no shame in that but there is absolutely no way he's ahead of Weidman in the title talk, even before his loss to Vitor.

Twitter spoiled last night's Bellator for me.

King Mo got KO'd by some can %5Burl= Surely the biggest upset in Bellator history and one of the biggest in MMA history?

Bjorn Rebney will be absolutely raging, not only did his biggest star who they've pushed to the moon not win the tournament, he didn't even make the final and got KTFO'd. f**k knows what they do from here with him, LHW is their weakest division and he's lost early. Even if he wins the next tournament and wins the title the star aura he had, probably the biggest in the company, is gone now.

EDIT:

735272755.gif

There it is. Ooooft. First round as well. Newton was actually longer odds than Carmouche is to beat Rousey!

Edited by Marshmallo

In regards to the bellator,

That was a daft ko, more like the bar fights Dana wants, swing and a miss

I was upset to see Che Mills get cut I like him and he has a decent 2-2 record in the UFC, Paul Sass I like as well but he went 0-2 I think. and was too predicable for the last dude he fought (forget his name) Still like him

Weidman has won all 5 of his UFC fights, including a destruction in his last fight of the guy who was supposed to be next in line in Mark Munoz. He beat Maia on 10 days notice and Maia's a former title challenger at MW. What's Bisping's biggest win, Brian Stann? Bisping is a mid-top 10 guy who will never fight for the UFC title because he isn't good enough to beat anyone in the top 5. There's no shame in that but there is absolutely no way he's ahead of Weidman in the title talk, even before his loss to Vitor.

To clarify, I'm not arguing that Weidman doesn't deserve a shot, but that in a division so thin on challengers there was no need to throw Busping in with Vitor when he could have been matched up with Silva. Now in a similar situation, Weidman is given the shot after just a few wins and a long layoff. The UFC seem intent in deminishing the number of contenders to Silva.

To clarify, I'm not arguing that Weidman doesn't deserve a shot, but that in a division so thin on challengers there was no need to throw Busping in with Vitor when he could have been matched up with Silva. Now in a similar situation, Weidman is given the shot after just a few wins and a long layoff. The UFC seem intent in deminishing the number of contenders to Silva.

Bisping and Belfort made sense. I don't think Bisping is a credible challenger atm, he doesn't really have any signature wins that help distinguish him from everyone else. He'd basically be getting a shot because he was British. Vitor is a top 5 guy and a win there would have put Bisping onto the level required IMO. Weidman's the number one contender in the division easily for me for the reasons I've already outlined, but I agree with you on the layoff so wouldn't have been averse to him having to fight again to shake off ring rust before he went in with Silva.

Bisping's best win is Brian Stann. Every other time he's come up against a top contender, be it a shot Wanderlei Silva, Dan Henderson, Chael Sonnen (I thought Bisping actually should have won that decision, but the judges matter more than me so...), or Belfort. He needed the Belfort fight to justify giving him a title shot, but he didn't win. Wins over Brian Stann, Mayhem Miller & Sexyama don't get you a title shot, even in a division as lacking in depth as MW.

Don't forget that when Bisping fought Vitor nobody knew when Wiedman would be back, Vitor had only just stepped down for what will probably be one fight at MW, for me Bisping should have gotten the shot if not for anything else than to keep Silva active. I think a fair amount of people would have bought Bisping as a credible challenger heading in to that fight. There really was nobody else that stood out.

I think the end of Strikeforce is a good thing for the UFC MW division, with Rockhold and Jacare adding a bit of depth to the division.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Caught a Bellator spoiler this morning, well fucked off at that. Will watch anyways. For what my tuppence is worth on the mw discussion, i have no complaints in either Weidman getting a shot at Anderson, or Bisping having to go through Belfort to do so. Both seem about right to me.

Watched the Countdown show for 157 last night, it was pretty good and worth checking out. They really have done a great job of promoting the title fight tonight, I wasn't particularly bothered about it when it was announced but I can't wait to see it now. Rousey has the most star quality in all of MMA arguably, she's a promoters dream.

In saying that, the real main event for me is Machida-Hendo. This hasn't been getting talked about but f**k me, what a fight. I think it could go the same way as Machida-Couture, but Hendo never being KO'd puts a real spanner in the works I think. I think Machida will outwork him over the 3 rounds but if Hendo can get a grip of him it'll be very interesting to see how Machida responds. The smartest thing Hendo could do is to utilise his wrestling and work in the clinch and on the ground, similar to Rampage in the first two rounds against Machida. That's easier said than done though. Should be a hell of a fight either way, very intrigued to see what happens in this one.

Not shitting on the women's parade here, but, it is a shame Henderson-Machida is only a three rounder. Would've made a wonderful main event.

Henderson really needs to get a hold of Machida here but like you say, whether that happens is an entirely different matter. Very interesting stuff.

Glory 5 is tonight I think, was looking at Oddschecker for tonight and saw Daley was listed as fighting. It's on Premier Sports I think?

I think I'll back Lavar Johnson at 2.30 (13/10), would definitely have him as favourite. The odds for a KO were only marginally better so I'll just back him to win I think.