MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

There is working on the ground, and there is holding someone down, It can get frustrating at times, I love when the ground work is genuine, but I have seen folk who just seem happy to hold someone down.

There is working on the ground, and there is holding someone down, It can get frustrating at times, I love when the ground work is genuine, but I have seen folk who just seem happy to hold someone down.

Then so be it. If the guy fighting the leg humper isn't good enough to do anything about it, that's his problem.

From what I can see Facebook prelims starting at 11.30pm. Seems a tad late especially with the ppv kicking off at 2 rather than 3. Anyone know any different?

EDIT: US daylight savings throwing me, 6.30et will be 10.30pm GMT due to this, right?

Edited by Christophe

Yves Lavigne is a wee bit prone to the early stoppage. I'd take him over a Mazzagatti or a Winslow that stops the fight after a guy is practically beaten to a pulp though.

Watching it again there actually, that's a horrendous stoppage.

GSP wins by complete domination (and lines my pockets with Ellenberger & Camosi treble).

One more for the good guys.

That Condit vs. Hendricks fight was insane. Right up along side Stann vs. Silva for FOTY candidate.

Did you really expect anything different? It's up to his opponent to do something about it of course. The fact is that Nick Diaz is just another in the long line of fighters who aren't good enough to beat GSP.

Watched it all this morning, was a decent show I felt with quite a bit of duller stuff sprinkled across the show.

GSP-Diaz went exactly as I expected, GSP is one of the smartest fighters there is and he clearly had the comparative advantage on the ground/in the wrestling so utilised that well. Diaz was nowhere near good enough to stop it. Complete and utter domination without being a destruction.

Hendricks-Condit was absolutely fantastic, really enjoyed that one. Hendricks looked great in the opening two rounds, I agree with the Hendo comparison above. The big left is as powerful a punch P4P as anyone in MMA has today. Combine that with his top class wrestling and you've got a great fighter. Condit's chin is hugely impressive. I would probably give Hendricks the best chance against GSP of anyone in the division as I've said before, but his cardio is slightly suspect for me and I think that will need to be much better in there with GSP.

The rest was a mixed bag. Ellenberger's power makes him a threat, big win for him. Ring-Camozzi wasn't up to much, made no sense for me to have that on the main card as it was likely to be dull and isn't particularly relevant either. Ricci outclassed Freakshow but didn't look too great. Cote-Voelker was unlucky to be on the same card as Hendrick-Condit, was a really good fight. Dillashaw and Mein both impressed. The stoppage in Elkins-Carvalho was way too early.

Dana White will be praying there's some shagging in the next TUF series. They should've made it all female with the winner getting a shot at the title.

Cote v Voelker was my fight of the night, fantastic entertainment. Condit v Hendricks also excellent with Condit just not quite doing enough work in the opening rounds to snatch it. Still, damn close fight and will be great to see if Hendricks can pressure GSP into mistakes. Actually, it still looks like the only way to beat GSP is with a lucky haymaker settting up a barrage of strikes, so Hendricks and Ellenberger are as good as anyone to do that.

Hendricks is also a lot more willing to use his ground game than Henderson is, which makes him a more dangerous fighter. He knows he has that big bomb, but knows that he needs to use his other tools. When Condit started finding his range, that's exactly what Hendricks did. Very good work from him in the fight, and it was great to watch.

I don't buy Hendricks being good enough to stop GSP. GSP said post-fight that he considers himself done, but then a quick U-turn revealed that he will be fighting Hendricks at some point in the future. Which suits me. Him getting dominated as well probably won't shut many people up saying that GSP isn't that good, but that'll just allow me to laugh at them. I've had someone today try and tell me GSP isn't capable of finishing fights, as if the 14 finishes out of 18 wins in his first 20 fights didn't happen.

I really enjoyed Cote/Voelker, but that wasn't as good as Hendricks/Condit fight for me.

Cote v Voelker was my fight of the night, fantastic entertainment. Condit v Hendricks also excellent with Condit just not quite doing enough work in the opening rounds to snatch it. Still, damn close fight and will be great to see if Hendricks can pressure GSP into mistakes. Actually, it still looks like the only way to beat GSP is with a lucky haymaker settting up a barrage of strikes, so Hendricks and Ellenberger are as good as anyone to do that.

I agree that's the best way, maybe wouldn't call it a lucky haymaker but taking advantage of an opening with one power punch looks the best bet. Hendricks could take him down as well I think.

Also, was it just me or did GSP look absolutely massive last night? His neck, chest, shoulders, everything really.