MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Credit to Mendes for taking the fight on ~3 weeks notice, btw. I do wonder how much this will derail McGregor mentally after the whole buildup, and plan-wise as this is quite a different matchup.

Credit to Mendes for taking the fight on ~3 weeks notice, btw. I do wonder how much this will derail McGregor mentally after the whole buildup, and plan-wise as this is quite a different matchup.

I don't imagine it'll bother him too much. Could be all a front but he does portray the image that they're all the same to him. He has a good enough team that'll have drilled him for all types of opponents despite the focus being on an Aldo type fighter in recent months. I am curious to see how he will deal with a relentless wrestling grind assuming he gets taken down.

The what?

About three weeks ago a US drug tester showed up at Aldo's gym in Brazil. They took a urine sample. However, Aldo's camp protested that he hadn't shown the appropriate paperwork to carry out that test. They successfully got the urine sample destroyed. Shortly after, Aldo injured his rib (I have seen no xrays or photos of said injury but let's take him at his word). Now the fight is off.

About three weeks ago a US drug tester showed up at Aldo's gym in Brazil. They took a urine sample. However, Aldo's camp protested that he hadn't shown the appropriate paperwork to carry out that test. They successfully got the urine sample destroyed. Shortly after, Aldo injured his rib (I have seen no xrays or photos of said injury but let's take him at his word). Now the fight is off.

Meh, seems legit to me...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/6/16/8792165/jose-aldo-andre-pederneiras-explain-botched-random-drug-test-in-brazil

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/6/12/8771547/jose-aldo-drug-tested-again-urine-sample-will-be-sent-to-salt-lake

Seems like the guy who turned up on the Thursday had no business taking a sample. I'd have told him to destroy it too.

To be fair, some guy with incorrect paperwork could have been absolutely anybody and could have done anything they liked with that sample.

Yup.

Doesn't explain why the fight is gone of course. And why this is his fifth pull out.

A couple of those cancelled fights* in his past have been arranged for the US and been rescheduled for Brazil. Looks like he's at it again looking for home advantage/Chad Mendes who he knows he's beaten twice already to me.

*(UFC 149 defense booked for Vegas - pulls out, next defense takes place at 153 in Rio. Should have fought Mendes at 176 in LA, pulls out and then fights him in Rio at 179)

I don't imagine it'll bother him too much. Could be all a front but he does portray the image that they're all the same to him. He has a good enough team that'll have drilled him for all types of opponents despite the focus being on an Aldo type fighter in recent months.

Hmmm, Conor seemed strangely agitated in the most recent call between him and Mendes, who's throwing shit back. After months of getting into Aldo's head I really think this late change might've thrown off McGregor's focus.

Hmmm, Conor seemed strangely agitated in the most recent call between him and Mendes, who's throwing shit back. After months of getting into Aldo's head I really think this late change might've thrown off McGregor's focus.

The media conference call? Didn't get that impression AT ALL. If anything Mendes started getting rattled, mud-slinging and swearing despite saying earlier in the call he likes to keep it professional and not get drawn into that kind of thing. What about McGregor made you think he seemed agitated, just didn't hear that from the call at all.

For those heading to UFC Glasgow, confirmed Clay Guida will do the q&a. I booked the Friday off work for expected q&a and weigh ins so works out nicely.

Only day I couldn't get off was Friday, off Saturday and Sunday, gutted if this happens, unless it's after 8pm then I'm golden.

Aldo's docs telling him he's clear to fight and he's chose otherwise, none of this interrim belt rubbish, make it for the actual belt and the winner gets Aldo next available UFC show..

Also Rousey/Correia is going to be electric.

This 189 Embedded Vlog series on yYoutube has been quality watching, up to episode 6 now. McGregor looking tireder and gaunter by the episode.

His weight cut must be hellish. Looks absolutely skeletal at every weigh in.