MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Fair to say unless Cruz miraculously stops being injured then the Bantamweight division is gubbed. Barao hasn't got any good fights for him elsewhere and Dillashaw looks unstoppable.

Chris Holdsworth from the Tate vs Rousey TUF looked really good as a up and coming Bantamweight, what happened to him?

Not fought since winning in March 2014. Unsure reasons for not fighting after that.

Pretty sure hes a teammate of Dillashaw?! Anyway, hes miles away from being a challenger. Cruz vs Dillashaw should be some fight.

Was hoping we'd get to see Cruikshanks fight, surprised he wasn't somewhere on the prelims at least! He got beat by RNC anyhow.

Rousey will smash it again. Distinct lack of depth in both womens divisions and gap between champs and contenders is huge.

Still debating if worth getting up for it. It's a very meh card. Hope Rua and both Noguera's hang up the gloves after. All legends who really need to call it quits and leave a decent legacy behind.

Sonnen seems to think that there's a chance of an upset here. I'm willing to give his opinion some thought, since he's not bad at the whole pundit thing.

Whilst I think it's highly likely Ronda will win, I certainly don't believe that the 1/20 odds she has are correct. I mean, obviously bookmakers know their shit or they'd go outta business if they didn't but Luke Thomas (he offers some good insight on youtube if anyone's interested) was making the case that MMA is one of those few sports where a massive odds-on favourite can get beat at any time. Especially, if as Ronda says she's planning, she intends to drag it out or toy with her oppoenent. Everyone in that octagon has a puncher's chance. The 8/1 or so odds on Bethe are worth a cheeky wee fiver imo.

*ETA* - just wanna say I fucking love Chael Sonnen. For someone who wasn't a viewer when he was in his day, I really do think there are a lot of endearing qualities about that man.

Anybody watch the embedded vlogs? They are quite enjoyable and get you a little more interested in the event i feel.

I'm actually really enjoying the embedded series' they are doing for the bigger fights. I only got into MMA/UFC about a year ago so I'm doing a bit of catch up in terms of getting to know the fighters and the stories behind the fights so they're really enjoyable to me. I really agree with the poster that said the Aldo/Mcgregor embedded series was in particular a great watch.

Don't know if I'll stay up tonight or watch a repeat but I'm somewhat looking forward to it regardless. I was really interested in watching that Struve fight after watching the embedded but upon further research it turns out he's been sparkled in his last two bouts. Is he the MMA Valuev?

Edited by BradHorse

Struve seemed to have the chops a few years ago to do something in the division, especially after the Johnson and Miocic wins, and he still has time on his side to develop on the surface of it as he's still in his mid-20's i believe. His last two defeats have come since a serious heat condition was flagged up though and doesn't seem to be the same fighter anymore. You have to wonder if it's worth carrying on with something like that. ou'd think if he doesn't put a run together now he'd be thinking about jacking it in at this stage.

Rousey will smash it again. Distinct lack of depth in both womens divisions and gap between champs and contenders is huge.

Not sure i'd lump the straw in with that tbh. It's an infant division so fighters aren't having to do much to get the shot as displayed the last couple of title fights. Gadelha gave the champ a hell of a fight last time round before she won the strap though so expect a much more competitive title bout if they go again after the eliminator tonight.

Edited by Christophe

Struve seemed to have the chops a few years ago to do something in the division, especially after the Johnson and Miocic wins, and he still has time on his side to develop on the surface of it as he's still in his mid-20's i believe. His last two defeats have come since a serious heat condition was flagged up though and doesn't seem to be the same fighter anymore. You have to wonder if it's worth carrying on with something like that. ou'd think if he doesn't put a run together now he'd be thinking about jacking it in at this stage.

Cheers mate. As I said I'm pretty new to the sport so it's good to get some insight on things.

Actuallly, Christophe - I noticed you had a lot to say about Dillashaw's performance. What do you reckon about his chances with Dominic Cruz? I listened to a Cruz interview with Ariel Halwani where he basically said TJ copied his style and such? Everyone I see says TJ has blown the MMA talent out the water and loved his ability to switch stances against Barao.

D'you reckon TJ is taking MMA to the next level or do you think Cruz will school him at his own game?