MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Bigfoot Silva just isn't that good really. Don't give him chances and you'll be fine. Cain will deal with him.

Hunt is a dangerous one for JDS. The longer the fight goes, normally you'd take the advantage away from the guy who's likely to gas, but Hunt when he's spent still has enough power to split someone's jaw. I'd expect JDS to take the fight, but Hunt is a terrific striker against guys who want to just stand with him. If Hunt catches JDS and doesn't KO him, I'd imagine JDS will use his wrestling.

I'd have Werdum fight if he wins, but not Big Nog. He'd get absolutely humiliated.

Cain smashes Bigfoot again easily.

JDS-Hunt i dunno, i know picking a win for Cigano should be easy here but i just have something in the back of my head that thinks if Hunt strikes well and makes JDS as groggy as he ended up in thr Cain fight then JDS is going to find himself in a world of trouble. The dude breaks bones, i've just got a feeling for the fairytale upset here.

If it is Dos Santos i think he gets the title fight. If Hunt wins he probably has to get through someone like Cormier too.

Out of the other names you mention only Werdum and Overeem should be anywhere near a title fight. The rest still have lots of work to do.

I only saw the main card and the Lineker fight. It wasn't a classic by any means but I quite enjoyed it.

Belfort-Rockhold went exactly as I expected it to, but I didn't think the KO would be quite so spectacular. Vitor is an animal, despite his age his reaction times are very quick and he obviously has so much power. Rockhold deserved the spot given his record but he was completely outclassed. No shame in that, I'd pick Belfort against anyone at 185 not named Anderson Silva, who incidentally should be Vitor's next fight given the way he's demolished two top five guys consecutively.

Jacare looked really good as expected as well. He's one of the fighters I always look forward to watching, and he seems to get better every time he gets in the cage. I don't think he's the number 2 MW in the world but I would probably give him the best chance of beating Anderson at 185 if Weidman can't do it. A win over Camozzi isn't enough for a title shot though. I think he's capable of submitting anyone potentially, plus his stand-up is improving and is underrated.

Dos Anjos-Dunham was alright but it didn't catch fire as I thought it would. Dana was saying on Twitter that he felt Dunham got robbed which I couldn't get my head round, I thought it was a 29-28 for Dos Anjos with him taking the first two through being a bit more accurate and faster. Neither guy really showed anything to suggest they can go beyond their current level of fringe top 10-15.

I doubt it'll get a mention anywhere as it was a unanimous decision and didn't really make a difference to the outcome of the fight, but WTF was the judge who had it 30-27 for Natal watching in the first round?

Fights to make:

Vitor vs Anderson/Weidman winner

Jacare vs Bisping

Rockhold vs Stann or Lombard

Dos Anjos vs Pearson

Steroids normally accounts for this.

Barao-Wineland off at UFC 161, Evans-Henderson will main event instead :unsure:

Interim Champion pulling out due to injury. Deary me. Evans vs Hendo would have been a great main event two or three years ago, but both lost a bit of their lustre recently. Should still be a cracking fight though.

While JDS is clearly favourite over Hunt, but big Mark is always dangerous. And what a career revival he's on,it would be some story if he got the title shot, which he surely has to get if he wins. It's hardly cans he's been beating, and even looking at his losses,all against well ranked opponents!

Evans vs Hendo should still be a cracking fight though.

Really? Henderson-Machida was an awful fight and Rashad hasn't been in an exciting fight for about 5 years (Griffin-Evans). Not looking forward to this is in the slightest.

While JDS is clearly favourite over Hunt, but big Mark is always dangerous. And what a career revival he's on,it would be some story if he got the title shot, which he surely has to get if he wins. It's hardly cans he's been beating, and even looking at his losses,all against well ranked opponents!

He's especially dangerous against someone like a JDS. I genuinely can't wait for that fight. If someone doesn't get finished early, it's a three round war.

Nelson-Miocic booked for UFC 161. Miocic was due to fight someone else (can't remember who off the top of my head) but that's off. Fair play to Nelson for keeping active but he's coming off 3 first round KOs whilst Miocic is coming off a KO loss. Not the most sensible fight IMO but I suppose it should be enjoyable enough.

Browne-Overeem is official for the first UFC on Fox Sports event. Great fight which makes a load of sense.

With those two in mind, I'm not sure what the plan will be for Cormier. Everyone seems tied up.

Barnett has signed a multi-fight deal as well which gives them another good option at HW. I can't see him making a run at the title but there are loads of good fights out there for him. It's good to have another fresh face as we seem to be getting closer to endless rematches at mid to top level. Barnett-Mir seems like the way to go initially.

Oh and Bellator have signed Paul Sass, Rob Sinclair and Martin Stapleton. They've also got Paul Daley and Michael Page contracted so plenty of British interest. Rebney's saying they're hopeful on a UK TV deal which would be fantastic.

I'm a big Cain fan, but ffs that's a horrible stoppage. Silva is trying to stand up, is protecting the right side of his head, and is clearly still with it. He's a big boy, let him fucking fight, Mario you cuunt.

Waste of a potentially decent brawl and gives neither fighter a good run out.

That JDS knockout was poetry.

Edited by banana

Yeah tend to agree with that, Silva was still attempting to move away. I think refs need to give more leeway and remember guys can tap to strikes. Different if they are judged to be too stunned to do so, but that was hardly the case here.

I know fighters health come before card status, but i'm going to say it anyway....It was the MAIN EVENT ffs, let them fight.

Edited by Christophe

Other thoughts:

Stephen Thompson's striking is nice, would be good to see him step up in class soon.

Nurmagomedov was dominant, dissapointed in Trujillo though, seemed to lose heart really early on. Maybe the boy just can't grapple.

Enjoyed Whittaker, but he's gonna want to stop that hand dropping shit. Nice finish though. Actually while i'm writing this Thompson-Whittaker would be a good match.

Hope Rick Story doesn't fall too far back in the pecking order, really close fight and one of those that didn't deserve a loser.

Standard judging error of the night comes in Bermudez-Holloway. Holloway clearly winning the first two rounds for me.

JDS-Hunt was fight of the night, just two guys swinging for a home run for a round and a half before Cigano finds his jabbing range and throws in a takedown. The Spinning kick was sweeeeet! Cain-JDS III i'm all in for, i know some didn't fancy it again so soon but it's undeniable now. Bring it on.

Premature stoppage in the main event as i've already discussed.

My feeling right now is JDS takes the trilogy in the third fight.